Uganda border to Nairobi

Default Uganda border to Nairobi

SA vehicle without carnet.

which border crossing best to take? Malaba or Busia? We met some travellers who encountered problems getting a TIP, so any experience/ advise?

Is there an alternative more rustic but drivable (tar) road then the A104 to Nairobi?

thanks!

Default Re: Uganda border to Nairobi

Ehmmm, no carnet....interesting. Kenyan authorities love their carnet du passage...

Worry not, the Swahili boffins will be along soon!

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by jorisv View Post
    SA vehicle without carnet.

which border crossing best to take? Malaba or Busia? We met some travellers who encountered problems getting a TIP, so any experience/ advise?

Is there an alternative more rustic but drivable (tar) road then the A104 to Nairobi?

thanks!
    I don’t know about entering Kenya without a Carnet. I think you can do it with a Form C32 and then the payment of the Foreign Vehicle Tax. Good luck!

With the above in mind, and you wanting a more rustic road, I would recommend crossing at Busia. I have never used Malaba as it is the main road and where most of the trucks cross.

Then Busia to Kisumu (and spend a night). Others have camped in or around Kisumu, but I only have ever been to the nice Kiboko Bay Lodge for lunch and it does have secure parking, good food, and a nice view. It also has accommodation but I don’t know about camping. I think it would be cheap enough to stay there.

The following day, take the road from Kisumu to near Kericho (B1). At the junction of the Kericho-Sotik road turn right towards Sotik. At the little town of Litien, turn left on a good tar road which is a shortcut to Bomet. At Bomet turn left towards Narok. From Narok take the main road to Mai Mahiu where you turn right on to the old escarpment road (apparently the B3) to Nairobi. Go carefully up the escarpment (built by the Italian Prisoners of War in WWII). You then join the A104 a few miles after reaching the top of the escarpment. This (A104) is mostly a very busy dual carriageway and keep your wits about you. If you are going to Jungle Junction turn off the A104 signposted Kikuyu and go through Kikuyu (joining the new bypass round Nairobi), turn off to Karen, through Karen and on to Jungle Junction in Langata. All these roads are on T4A.

From Kisumu to Nairobi by this route will take about 8-9 hours, but give yourself a good margin and leave early in the morning so as to be sure you get to Nairobi before dark. Believe me, you do not want to be on the A104 in the dark!

Safari njema!
    Last edited by Wazungu Wawili; 2018/11/17 at 01:09 AM.

Thx!

took Busia and with C32 form no problem 👍

Took the road to Kisumu, lodge was to expensive for us (200usd tent) and camping not allowed. Went to campsite further on.

Now at Lake Nakuru. Did not want to drive 8-9 hours and were no real good campsites on that way.

Asante sana for logging in.

I do hope you went to stay/camp at the wonderful Kembu campsite near Njoro enroute to Lake Nakuru. As you have worked out if you donít want to drive 8 hours per day in Kenya. then you need to plan your routes very carefully.

Safari njema and please post a trip report.

And please do take it very carefully from Nakuru to Nairobi - especially if you are driving this main road on a Sunday. It will take you longer than you might anticipate.

No at Punda Milia campsite, tomorrow we gonna check Duara flamingo camp at Lake Elementeita. After that gonna check a Lake Naivasha campsite. Indeed a good idea not to go on the road this Sunday, with the alcohol level

We did not check Kembu after reading IOverlander comment that children had to pay same price as adults. Their website was not clear on that.

Quote Originally Posted by jorisv View Post
    No at Punda Milia campsite, tomorrow we gonna check Duara flamingo camp at Lake Elementeita.

We did not check Kembu after reading IOverlander comment that children had to pay same price as adults. Their website was not clear on that.
    I would be very interested to hear how much you paid to camp at Punda Milia - which is within the suburbs (I understand) of the substantial (and noisy) town of Nakuru. Kembu Farm and campsite at Njoro charges Kshs600 (which is about €5) - which is not a lot for camping in beautiful gardens on a farm. Horses, cows, play areas and many hectares for your children to run around. Ioverlander needs to be taken with a pinch of salt. Everyone has their own opinion (including me, of course).

I think you missed out on a gem.

Hopefully you are going to Carnelly’s at Naivasha.
    Last edited by Wazungu Wawili; 2018/11/27 at 11:53 PM.