Default New Hilux vs second weekend car

Hi,

First some background, at the moment I have a 2013 Hilux XtraCab 4x4, had it since new and it's only on 71k at the moment, no problems at all and I love driving it. Has some offroad goodies fitted but not much. Now recently I've really gotten back into the whole 4x4 trail and camping thing and I am starting to find the 2 seats in the Xtracab limiting, seems like nowadays there is always another couple or family member(s) that wants to join one of these outings, but they do not have a 4x4 etc etc.

This has me thinking, should I rather invest in a larger vehicle to be able to invite someone along on a trip with me? At the moment it's just me and the GF (and sometimes the dog) so the Xtracab works well for everyday driving.

I find making up my mind notoriously difficult and at the moment I am stuck between these options:

1- Get rid of the XtraCab and buy a new/demo GD6 D/C Hilux. This will be the most expensive option, but then I only have 1 insurance premium, less maintenance etc.

2- Keep the XtraCab and get another "weekend" car - I was thinking along the lines of a 2009ish V6 Fortuner and then really kitting it out. Just thinking of additional insurance, maintenance, accessories etc I would then need to buy.

3- Just accept that you cannot always accommodate everyone, do nothing and rather spend some more money on kitting out the Xtracab

Any advise? Is it a stupid idea to go and buy a car essentially "for other people"?
    Francois
    2013 Hilux XtraCab
    with stofpad undies
    and escape gear seatcovers

Default Re: New Hilux vs second weekend car

Buy a cheaper to run everyday drive, buy a cheaper slightly older d/c 4x4?
    Louis Adendorff
    Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk (Ironman suit)
    Everest 2.2 XLS (Swambo’s mommy taxi)

Default Re: New Hilux vs second weekend car

Quote Originally Posted by Francois136 View Post

3- Just accept that you cannot always accommodate everyone, do nothing and rather spend some more money on kitting out the Xtracab

Is it a stupid idea to go and buy a car essentially "for other people"?

Yes and yes.

If the Xtra cab works for YOU, keep it and stuff the rest.

The only time you should sell it and go double cab or SUV is if you are planning kids.

Sorry to be blunt. But age and experience have taught me not to try and please everyone else on my account.
    Last edited by lekhubu943; 2018/11/11 at 04:03 PM.
    Christa
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT

BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lekhubu943 For This Useful Post: