E mail formats

Thread: E mail formats

Default E mail formats

When sending please remember that your message content is far more important than it looking pretty. Also remember that not everybody is using Outlook, which had very much out of standard format and those posts can only be read with Outlook or special extra program.

If you try to sell or run a business it is critical to get this right. I am not the only one who is complaining about this.

Couple items to be careful:
    - Images. They can be too big, they can be remote = mail considered "dangerous". For instance my e mail program doesn't fetch images automatically as crooks use the system. I get a warning.

- Images can change to long list of attachments

- Any form of HTML, especially frames etc have to be tested with long list of e mail programs. For instance Discovery has not done this. Try to forward their message and it is a mess

- Outlook RTF. Never use that

- Attachments: Make sure they are small and they have those 3 to 4 letters after the point in the file name (Unfortunately Windows is hiding those as default). Do not send documents as images - only PDF (Scanner setting issue). Do not scan if you can make PDF. Use security settings if you do not want the document converted back.

- Attachments: Reduce scan PDF file size. Sometimes reduced file is less that 10% of the original and even better quality.

- Attachments: Do not send your offer as MS Word doc or Excel. Only protected PDF. Makes it difficult to change and receiver doesn't get virus warnings and doesn't need program able to open those files.

- Large attachments: Use some file transfer system but not complicated. DropBox is one difficult one. Never use it in a way that receiver has to have an account. I have account and even then one sender used a system that it took me 10 min to get the docs. Use system like https://wetransfer.com/ or similar and warn the receiver that is what you do.

There are other issues but at least follow above. Do not upset companies/people with e mails that are difficult to handle.
    Jouko
    ----------
    2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7l
    2012 Smart
    Never drive a normal car

Default Re: E mail formats

Remember to use BCC mailing lists etc.

I have MAKRO's entire customer mailing list because somebody sent me a promotional offer and forgot BCC.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    A V6 and an inline 4

The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....

And stop "reply to all" when only 2 of you are having a conversation
    VW Touareg V6 Tdi Escape
    Bush Lapa Boskriek 816

Very good point.

An other critical item: Sending lets say 100 e mails. Many ISPs have max limits of e mails per batch, per day, per month AND they do not tell user AND the limits can be really low When you send too many you may not even get a warning that only some where sent. Better to use proper mailing list system. Setting such up is a task the first time but after that it works. I have used 2 systems by my hosting companies. There are difficulties in setting up and in maintenance. Systems seem to be open source/free so not much help files. Many "well known" hosting companies don't even offer mailing lists. And then when you send and the IP address is somewhere on a black list

As a tip: Because of difficulties setting up make first mailing list with only your own e mail addresses and test. When the result is what you need use those settings for the real list. Saves you from some embarrassments.

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    Remember to use BCC mailing lists etc.

I have MAKRO's entire customer mailing list because somebody sent me a promotional offer and forgot BCC.
    Jouko
    ----------
    2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7l
    2012 Smart
    Never drive a normal car