How to identify mycelium from mold ?

Default How to identify mycelium from mold ?

Its my first try to grow oyster mushrooms. At woolies I bought a mixture of mushrooms containing mostly Shiitake and oyster mushrooms.
    Last night i placed them on some cupcake holders and stored them on top of the fridge in a sealed tupperware tin.

When I opened them just now they are almost coverd in a fuzzy white growth. Is this mycelium or mold ? Mold's green right ?
    It doesnt smell nice but it doesnt reak rotten either. Almost fishy

Name:  mold.png
Views: 297
Size:  405.9 KB

Quickly searching google, You also get a cob web fungus that's white ?
    Not sure I i should throw it away or continue to try and grow them ?
    JK 3.8L 2010 Rubicon Manual 2 door

Default Re: How to identify mycelium from mold ?

Eat them ?
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    A V6 and an inline 4

The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....

Mycelium IS mold

They are both Fungi
    2015 Pajero Sport 4x4
    1996 3.5v6 Pajero (For Sale)

Carpe Diem Scrotum
    Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

Those Woolies mushrooms aren't the place to start... they have been nuked... irradiated to keep them fresh longer... not my area of expertise, and not sure of the effect on the mushroom, but I don't think it's good. You probably should get some fresh spawn from a supplier.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MarcR For This Useful Post:

Why seal then in tupperware? I think your problems started there.

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    Eat them ?
    I took a bite, chewed and swallowed it. Then suddenly my great grand mother walked in. Problem is she passed away even before I was born

Quote Originally Posted by SimonB View Post
    Mycelium IS mold

They are both Fungi
    Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by MarcR View Post
    Those Woolies mushrooms aren't the place to start... they have been nuked... irradiated to keep them fresh longer... not my area of expertise, and not sure of the effect on the mushroom, but I don't think it's good. You probably should get some fresh spawn from a supplier.
    I dumped it it anyway. I also don't think I sterilized everything properly. When I'm ready I will buy some online.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Leigh View Post
    Why seal then in tupperware? I think your problems started there.

Yes apparently the white cobweb mold will grow in dark places with no air exchange. I thought Id put it in a sealed container to keep the baddies out for 24 hours so that the spores can fall onto the cupcake holders, but instead I trapped them inside with the mushrooms

I was going to cut the cupcake holers up and then place it into a plastic bag filled with boiled moist straw with a bunch of holes poked into it.
    Last edited by SBSP; 2018/11/10 at 07:49 AM.

No everything is nuked from Woolies,
    Growing some great garlic and ginger from there. Both already had shoots on them

My son in laws work colleague turned one room in his house into a mushroom farm. He specializes in exotics and sells/sold (I think he has stopped now because of licensing issues) to restaurants and speciality deli's.

I you wish I can get you a contact number.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    A V6 and an inline 4

The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....

Quote Originally Posted by Dudleytheplumber View Post
    No everything is nuked from Woolies,
    Growing some great garlic and ginger from there. Both already had shoots on them
    To the best of my knowledge Woolies actually has a policy that encourages natural and organic fresh products free from man made "interventions".

So yes, for the most part, non-GMO, Free Range, no pesticides or radiation etc etc. their produce is top quality and often worth paying the premium price for a small 2-4 person family. When you get to large families and extended families, its a whole new ballgame.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    A V6 and an inline 4

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Fluffy For This Useful Post:

Once you read this book - you will want to buy a farm to grow your own food, feed your own chickens, goats and cows, and make everything from scratch.
    Don't believe everything (anything) you read on a label - so much are not listed and name changes of old "baddies" now smell like roses to the unsuspecting consumer. You will probably wish you saved those mushrooms you dumped in the bin....

[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.87)]Swallow This: Serving Up the Food Industry’...[/COLOR]
    Book by Joanna Blythman

Fiddler

My wife provided the input below (she teaches mycology at the University of Stellenbosch).

"The fungal ball that formed is most probably just the oyster mushroom's own mycelium that grew from the moist incubation. Mold is a general term used for various different fungal growth usually unwanted. You can make a spore print from a oyster fruiting body, but it is important to work sterile. Best to obtain good spawn from a supplier. You can also consult the book 'Growing gourmet and medicinal mushrooms' from Paul Stamets. This book is a comprehensive guide for growing gourmet mushrooms."

Best of luck with your mushroom growing initiative.
    Nomad