Campsites in November-early December - to book or not to book

Question Campsites in November-early December - to book or not to book

Greetings form Poland everyone!

The weather outside makes me feel a sudden urge to spend whole day on a plane, rent a truck with tent on the roof and drive through Botswana
    The plan is a trip from Johannesburg to Victoria Falls and back with stays in Chobe, Makgadikgadi Pans and... err... some other places - we still are working on details.

Usually we book only those places where we know that it is absolutely necessary - even during short 2-3 weeks trip it gives us some freedom of improvising when we discover places we really like (or those we like less).

Past years we had no problems with campsites in Namibia or South Africa in November-February season, but Botswana is new for us, hence the question:
    Would you advise booking in advance?

Also I'd appreciate sharing some up to date info/links about campsites and booking. Google finds tons of results but most seem to be outdated.

Thanks!

Default Re: Campsites in November-early December - to book or not to book

Quote Originally Posted by Bronek View Post
    Greetings form Poland everyone!

The weather outside makes me feel a sudden urge to spend whole day on a plane, rent a truck with tent on the roof and drive through Botswana
    The plan is a trip from Johannesburg to Victoria Falls and back with stays in Chobe, Makgadikgadi Pans and... err... some other places - we still are working on details.

Usually we book only those places where we know that it is absolutely necessary - even during short 2-3 weeks trip it gives us some freedom of improvising when we discover places we really like (or those we like less).

Past years we had no problems with campsites in Namibia or South Africa in November-February season, but Botswana is new for us, hence the question:
    Would you advise booking in advance?

Also I'd appreciate sharing some up to date info/links about campsites and booking. Google finds tons of results but most seem to be outdated.

Thanks!
    We went in Dec - had to book for the popular camps in Moremi and Chobe. Can't speak for Makgadikgadi.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to kimbaleee For This Useful Post:

In Bots national parks you need to book campsites and can't wild camp as you like. Trying to book at this late stage you probably going to find it difficult to find space also. Hope you find a spot.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ecw For This Useful Post:

Thank you for responses.
    I checked layout of some campsites in Moremi and Chobe and they are really small - especially comparing to places like Etosha :-(

How about campsites outside of the parks? Shall I expect trouble too or it will be easier?

The Moremi / Chobe experts, please help out here - I am usually in Khutse and CKGR. Cheers