Echo Kavango Tec - your thoughts please

Default Echo Kavango Tec - your thoughts please

Hi There,

I'm in the market for an off road trailer and quite like the kavango tec (used to be Xtreme). Do any forum members have one of these? If so, here are my questions:

1. How do u find towing the tec...through thick sand, mud and rough terrain, water crossings
    2. Is it easy to set up once at camp site. I know that the tec has a few improvements over the older kavangos
    3. Is there any other 4x4 caravan out there available in SA that compares with it in terms of build quality, features etc

Thank you
    Last edited by Mr MMG; 2018/11/09 at 09:37 AM.

Prado 120 4.0
    Jimny A/T
    GL500

Default Re: Echo Kavango Tec - your thoughts please

Quick list of main competitors

BushLapa Ratel
    Conqueror Commander
    Jurgens Xplorer
    Mitsubishi Triton 3.2 DI-D 4x4
    BL925 - Ratel 4

Quote Originally Posted by Mr MMG View Post
    Hi There,

I'm in the market for an off road trailer and quite like the kavango tec (used to be Xtreme). Do any forum members have one of these? If so, here are my questions:

1. How do u find towing the tec...through thick sand, mud and rough terrain, water crossings
    2. Is it easy to set up once at camp site. I know that the tec has a few improvements over the older kavangos
    3. Is there any other 4x4 caravan out there available in SA that compares with it in terms of build quality, features etc

Thank you
    Unless your caravan has 4 wheels with diff lock then it is only an offroad caravan.

for best product, best service, best members, all imho then there is only 1, BL.
    2016 LC 200 VX, 2014 D4 SDV6 HSE(sold),2015 Suzuki Jimny, 2016 VW Amarok 4motion DC(work vehicle), "A little Red Car", Swambo 2013 A3 Sportback Quattro, Bush Lapa Boskriek 567, Fusion 17 boat-Yamaha 70hp 4st.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceHun For This Useful Post:

I had the the normal Kavango. Towed with a Prado all along the west coast. Deflate to 0.8 bar in the sand areas and never had an issue.

Sold it and bought the Chobe. The only thing that put us off a bit is the store spaces below the benches inside, especially with a 4 bed setup, and that awning is a bit of a mission to set up.

For the rest no complains, and good quality.

I visited the BL factory before I bought the Kavango, bought the Kavango mostly because I dont like metal houses.
    Last edited by JLK; 2018/11/09 at 11:04 AM.
    Johan Kriel

LC's and Echo Chobe

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JLK For This Useful Post:

Thanks for the replies guys. A trailer with a RTT wont work for me as I have a 1 year old and 2yo babies. An offroad caravan it must be......and then I saw the Infanta Enkulu 2....

anybody got experience with the Infanta?
    Last edited by Mr MMG; 2018/11/14 at 10:33 AM.

Prado 120 4.0
    Jimny A/T
    GL500

Sounds like you need a bit of creature comfort. You can also look at the Imagine Comfortvan. We did a very detailed exercise before we bought ours 2 years ago and have never been sorry. The Kavango was on our short list, but the comfort factor, simplicity and effective payload of the Imagine left us no option. Effective payload is very important when you need to take along children parafanalia. I liked the BL as well, but my wife said it had all the features of an armoured vehicle.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rob wilson For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by rob wilson View Post
    Sounds like you need a bit of creature comfort. You can also look at the Imagine Comfortvan. We did a very detailed exercise before we bought ours 2 years ago and have never been sorry. The Kavango was on our short list, but the comfort factor, simplicity and effective payload of the Imagine left us no option. Effective payload is very important when you need to take along children parafanalia. I liked the BL as well, but my wife said it had all the features of an armoured vehicle.
    Was about to suggest a Companion, until I saw that last bit....
    2015 VW Amarok 4motion Auto
    2011 Conqueror Companion

11. The Following User Says Thank You to BobMabena For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mr MMG View Post
    Thanks for the replies guys. A trailer with a RTT wont work for me as I have a 1 year old and 2yo babies. An offroad caravan it must be......and then I saw the Infanta Enkulu 2....

anybody got experience with the Infanta?
    Did you have a look at the echo Chobe 4 bed. Light to tow and good layout!.
    Johan Kriel

LC's and Echo Chobe

Ok - So my subjective view:
    Echo Kavango - Layout didn't seem practical to me and the front bed is short.
    Conqueror Commander and Jurgens Xplorer: Also not keen on the layouts, both are heavy compared to others on the market. I'm not tall and my feet hang off the front bed of the Commander, and the Xplorer bed looks narrow.
    Imagine - Quality seemed iffy.
    Echo Chobe - Beds small and not much storage.
    Conqueror Companion - Not a bad option, just on the heavy side, and feels a bit cramped inside. Can pick up a second hand one at a decent price.
    Bush Lapa Baobab and Ratel are well designed and good quality.
    Eko Veld Gear Family caravan is the best priced and a good van. It's just a bit difficult to see them as they don't have a showroom.
    Then we looked at the Afrispoor Cheetah 4 - and within 15 minutes put our names on the waiting list. Big beds. Van feels very "roomy" inside once setup. Hopefully 3 months to go.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bush freak For This Useful Post:

Geniet daai Afrispoor puik wa