GPS question

Thread: GPS question

Default GPS question

Help please! I am in the market for a new GPS. Must be able to accept T4A maps and have the trackback (bread crumbs) function. Any recommendations please.

Default Re: GPS question

any Garmin should do.i think.

I don't think the entry level ones have bread crumbs. Just make sure of the specs before you buy.
    Jaco
    Member of the I.O.C
    Isuzu KB300 DMax D/C 4x4 3" Homemade lift, Bosvark LFR Radio and free-wheel hubs.

Shoo, that's a rather open question.

Are you very price sensitive or can you afford the best fit devise.

What is the application. You mention T4A, so I assume out of the way trails and tracks and roads, but do you also need it for city and main routes.

Bluetooth connectivity for traffic updates and local points of interest. ?

The proper "offroad" ones are hellish expensive, because they are actually a proper navigation system, not just a map system.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    A V6 and an inline 4

The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....

I personally want to get one of these

Garmin Drive Assist 51LMT-S with Built In Dashcam

Serves 2 functions since it is proper Garmin GPS with traffic
    And at same time it has built in safety camera

it appears to have a updated history function called travelapse that even includes photos in your history

So I suspect it might work for your requirements
    Last edited by Veneficus; 2018/11/08 at 01:49 PM.
    2007 Subaru Forester 2.5XT
    Forester nutter here so watch out

Please remember that I think I'm funny
    (most people don't agree)
    thus take 90% of what I post with 2 pinches of salt

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Veneficus For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by villierj View Post
    Help please! I am in the market for a new GPS. Must be able to accept T4A maps and have the trackback (bread crumbs) function. Any recommendations please.
    For T4A, your only choice is Garmin or the T4A apps on Android or iOS.

Maybe we should split the trackback function in 2. The 1st one will "draw" a line where you have traveled. When you make a u-turn, you can simply follow the drawn line and return to where you came from or how far you want to go back to. Most Garmin units can do this. The difference will come in for how long this "drawn" line stays visible. On the Nuvi type units you should be able to see a couple of days or 1000+ km before it ill start wiping older records. On your more off-road orientated units like the Montana/eTrex/Gpsmap, etc you can usually set the interval between daily, weekly, etc. Mine is set to daily. The result is a tracklog for everyday of recording. It will also mean that at any time in the day, I can also make a u-turn to retrace my steps for that day.

This brings me to the 2nd one. This is the proper trackback function where you can actually "route" back on a previously saved tracklog. As far as I know, none of the Nuvi/drive type have this functionality. On the off-road type units you can save a track and select an option called "track back" or something similar and it will route you back on the track you came with. These units also have the ability to route a previously saved or loaded tracklog. In this instance it will route you in the same direction as the originally created tracklog. I was never in a situation where I felt the need to use the proper trackback function. On one or 2 occasions I did however, retraced my steps using the track that was drawn on the unit.

When I was in the marked again for a GPS I had some main criteria i.e. Large screen (eyes over 50), portable (for hiking, biking, etc.) and weatherproof. The Montana came the closest except for the size that made it more awkward for hiking. I ended up buying 2 units for the same, if not less, than what the Montana costed at the time. I bought the proper off-road orientated eTrex20 and a large screen Nuvi. I don't have a problem driving with both on my windscreen. The eTrex runs T4A and the Nuvi the Garmin Streetmaps (Lifetime maps for the unit). The eTrex can run off 2 AA penlight batteries and will last a couple of days on a hiking trail. I even clip it onto my backpack when I do trail runs. The eTrex20 can do routing also and it is always interesting to see the difference in routing between T4A and Streetmaps.

Each to his own. But for 95% of what most guys want/need a GPS for any of the Nuvi/Drive type units will do. They can also be bought for less than the off-road type units. My Nuvi has been sitting on my windscreen for 5-6 years now. The sun and dust (I like to drive with open windows when off the beaten track) has not done any harm to it, AFAIK. When left in the closed vehicle in the Lowveld sun, it will automatically switch off at a certain temperature to protect itself.

I hope this feedback helps.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Daniek For This Useful Post:

Just a hint if your GPS doesn't have track bacj/bread crumbs??. Before you leave the tar, save your position and give it a name. When you reach your destination do the same. If you want to travel back to first position then history search it or look in favourites and enter then hit go.
    Isuzu STD 2.5d 2x4 rear diffy lock
    2x spotlight,2x fog lights
    215/80/R15c tyres
    1 x great humourous driver
    GPS,Bluetooth
    Eagle eye dash cam --stolen ..bought another one
    snorkel soon
    Craig
    I DON'T LIVE IN AFRICA,AFRICA LIVES IN ME- Kyle my son

I bought a new one a few months ago - Garmin Smart Drive 6" - I am pretty sure it the backtrack thing (haven't used it myself) - and additionally it comes with free life time map updates which is a bonus, not all units has this included. Updates via wi-fi.

https://www.garmin.co.za/prod_detail...?productid=733 and is just over 3k

I can recommend it - suits my needs. It might suits yours, if not, there are several other great models available.
    Fiddler