Engel S.S 40 litre Current Consumtion

Default Engel S.S 40 litre Current Consumtion

I have the old Engel SS 40 litre that I have had many years but have only recently started to use now that I have another 4x4. In the past I had a fairly large deep cycle battery that I could run it on for about 4 full days on fridge mode with the battery monitor still showing about 60% life on the battery.
    This weekend I only got 2 days on my current deep cycle which I did have load tested at a battery center before to make sure it was ok. It went down to 30%.
    I tested the amps when I got home on a full battery and got 2,3amps current draw on start-up and running a few minutes.
    Does this sound correct and should I maybe look at a replacement battery as the guy that sold me the vehicle said the battery may need replacing.

Default Re: Engel S.S 40 litre Current Consumtion

My Waeco CF 35 draws 3.8A peak on startup and during running cycle 2.9-3,2A. On my V/A meter I used 33AH for the weekend in KNP set at -1.9degC from Friday morning 11:00 until Sunday 15:00. That is about 30% used of the one 102AH battery I have. Camped the whole weekend without AC power and all good with one battery. Charged during the day when driving of course. Even plugged in the laptop on the 500W inverter to download pics.

It will help if you can define "fairly large" (AH) battery and there are too many variables in trying to answer your question.
    - Set Temperature
    - Ambient Temperature
    - How many times the door opened
    - Fridge Exposed to direct sun
    - Fridge blanket or cover
    ...etc.

Quote Originally Posted by AntonN View Post
    My Waeco CF 35 draws 3.8A peak on startup and during running cycle 2.9-3,2A. On my V/A meter I used 33AH for the weekend in KNP set at -1.9degC from Friday morning 11:00 until Sunday 15:00. That is about 30% used of the one 102AH battery I have. Camped the whole weekend without AC power and all good with one battery. Charged during the day when driving of course. Even plugged in the laptop on the 500W inverter to download pics.

It will help if you can define "fairly large" (AH) battery and there are too many variables in trying to answer your question.
    - Set Temperature
    - Ambient Temperature
    - How many times the door opened
    - Fridge Exposed to direct sun
    - Fridge blanket or cover
    ...etc.
    Thanks for the info - seems my current flow is within acceptable limits based on your's.

The current Battery is 100 Ah but I can't remember the capacity of the original Deltec Brand I had before but it was physically bigger in size.
    The space I now have in the battery box is limited and has the attached brand installed.
    The fridge location,ambient temp and temp setting were the same as it normally is, hence my comparison between the number of days between now and year's ago.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20181107_070211.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	85.9 KB 
ID:	508756   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20181107_070222.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	66.9 KB 
ID:	508757  
    Last edited by one-more-landy; 2018/11/07 at 11:15 AM.

Yes up to 2.6 amp
    Johan Kriel

LC's and Echo Chobe

Was reading on another thread on here from last year on battery choice.

Who stocks the Discover range of deep cycle batteries - Google was not very helpful.

I have so far the option of 105Ah Deltec for R 1,875.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to one-more-landy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by one-more-landy View Post
    Thanks for the info - seems my current flow is within acceptable limits based on your's.

The current Battery is 100 Ah but I can't remember the capacity of the original Deltec Brand I had before but it was physically bigger in size.
    The space I now have in the battery box is limited and has the attached brand installed.
    The fridge location,ambient temp and temp setting were the same as it normally is, hence my comparison between the number of days between now and year's ago.
    No prob. Sorry for responding with a question but can someone not load test your battery to check if it is still okay. Gauging from my fridge drawing odd 25% more than your Engel I can only assume your figures should be better than only 2 days, depending your temperature set point. Maybe check out the battery.

Who stocks the Discover range of deep cycle batteries - Google was not very helpful.

I bought a 2 x 102AH Dixon batteries about 4 years ago and still does the job just fine. My budget allows me only so much for toys, however the batteries are serving me well.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to AntonN For This Useful Post:

I like Deltec but consider them a high cycle more than a deep cycle.

Try this, just got one yesterday.

https://www.takealot.com/royal-12v-1...y/PLID52030328
    Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Stranger For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by AntonN View Post
    I bought a 2 x 102AH Dixon batteries about 4 years ago and still does the job just fine. My budget allows me only so much for toys, however the batteries are serving me well.
    Are you running two in parallel as your auxiliary batteries making them last longer ?

P.S - When I took my deep cycle to be tested I had fully charged it on the mains for a few days but I am not sure if the standard battery discharge test would show up whether a deep cycle battery is still 100% good ?
    Last edited by one-more-landy; 2018/11/07 at 06:12 PM.

@one-more-landy

Unfortunately I cannot answer the question WRT the load test. Maybe somebody more experienced can shed some light. It will be interesting to know.

I have 2 standalone boxes. One is set up for solar and can stay at camp on charge while the other is fitted with 30A DC-DC charger to charge while driving. Any one unit can also be used as backup.
    It has worked out very well so far. I do sometimes leave them connected in parallel when charging at home with AC-DC charger.

Solar Controller used with 2 x 80W panels
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BATT1.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	44.3 KB 
ID:	508784

DC-DC 30A Charger
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BATT2.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	50.9 KB 
ID:	508785

What always worries me is after 3 days when the timer relay engages and all the current rushes from the start battery to the dead one and you can hear the alternator pulling on the engine revs. Surely not so good but at the moment I can't afford a solar charger setup for extended camping days.

I assume you are stationary for 3 days and no driving during your stay to charge the battery. I also assume no 220VAC available at camp. Then there is no other way but alternator charge when flat unless you charge at home with AC-DC charger. Maybe build a second box and have a backup.
    Friend of mine takes a small 1600w silent type generator with, where allowed, and run/charge during the day, but I hate the things in a camp.

Unfortunately it is not possible for me to sit still and I always drive somewhere. Most of my camping is in game reserves, never caravan parks or resorts. Charging is usually top up.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to AntonN For This Useful Post:

On most occasions I do drive around but this particular campsite close to town was just for a weekend and plenty to do within walking distance.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to one-more-landy For This Useful Post: