Battery Problems

Exclamation Battery Problems

Bit of a long way round, but I'll get there!
    Started last October, car would go fine and then for no rhyme or reason, bang into limp mode. Stop and restart and she was good to go till it happened again, I never knew where or when, it would do it under acceleration, slowing down, cruising at steady throttle! Then in March this year came out in the morning and she was as dead as a Dodo! Battery was 18 months old, so still under warranty, and was replaced no hassles. Fast forward to August this year, on our way to Durban over the long weekend, and BANG into limp mode! reset and carry on, but every few km it would happen, then just as suddenly it seemed to go away, and we made it back ok!
    25/09 and come to want to leave for work, now the car has been standing since Sunday, she is as dead as the previous Dodo! Jump start off mommy's car and get to work and check the battery, wont take a charge! Have my charging system thoroughly checked, and all is as it should be, so no overcharging to cook the battery. Once again the battery is replaced under warranty , and off we go!
    Friday morning on my way to work, bang, into limp mode again, so this time my mate and mechanic Paul, says let try a different ECU, as every time this happens, it throws up 8 or 9 faults, knock sensor, No. 3 injector, turbo boost sensor, turbo boost valve, temperature sensor to name few.
    Well Friday evening on the way home, bang again! Limp mode hello! So yesterday we check what is going on, and with the "new" ECU, the faults are exactly the same, so rules that out! So I put the original one back. But just in conversation Paul says but it was going so well after we fitted the new battery?
    This morning taking my daughter to get her ID done, BANG again and now I am not only very the moer in, but also at my wits end, after all, this has been going on since October last year!
    Something in the back of my mind goes back to my conversation with Paul, and when i get in to work, the first thing I do is look at the charge light on the battery, and it shows the battery needs to be charged? So I take it out and put on our "intelligent" charger( we sell batteries) and it charges for about two minutes, then the charger kicks it off and prints a report, battery faulty! Now this battery was fitted on the 26/09 and is now dead!
    The battery manufacturer now very quickly tried to blame my car, but I have the report from the Sparky, that my charging system is A ok. So now they are going to bring me another new battery tomorrow! It just worries me a bit that this is now the 3rd faulty battery from them! Either I'm just unlucky, or there is a problem with their batteries?
    On reflection, it actually makes perfect sense that the battery being faulty is causing the problems, as every time it shows up the main relay as being faulty, along with all the other supposed faults. Now since October last year I have, replaced the glow plugs( as one of the symptoms is hard starting) had the pump and injectors overhauled, compression test done, all ok, leak back test done, all ok, replaced the filters, temperature sensor, turbo boost valve, turbo boost sensor, and even though the EGR is blanked, I replaced the EGR valve, as it was faulty and I wanted to eliminate any possibility of faulty parts. And every time we hook the diagnostics up, it shows exactly the same faults, ALL of which have either been replaced or repaired.
    So lets see what happens now, as the faults have only been there as long as I have been using this brand of battery! I will report back once I have done a few clicks with the new battery.
    09 Kyron, the Korean Snail.
    NO Meeow!
    Blanked EGR.
    Thermo Electric Cooling fan.

Default Re: Battery Problems

You have a lot of patience with the current problem. It does seem strange that you have used different batteries and the problem persists.

One thing I would try is to get a lighter voltmeter that you can see the actual voltage while driving. That way you might detect a change prior to going into limp mode. It might just give some clues.

Thumbs up Re: Battery Problems

Thanks for the idea, but I doubt it would work with me! I would only notice it after it had happened.
    The whole thing is, that for the first 4 years i had the car, the only time it went into limp was when the turbo boost sensor packed up. replaced that and reset and no more problems.
    Now last year the original partquip battery just died, and I replaced it with one of the brand we sell, and had the problem until I replaced that battery, which just died, with yet another of the same brand. That lasted about 6 months, and during the last two months before it croaked the same problem occurred, so I replaced it yet again, in Sept this year and for about six weeks all was ok, then it started up again, for me to find that this battery is also faulty. As I have said, I have had the alternator and charging system properly checked, and it is OK! Also the fact that I swapped the ECU, and the problem persisted, until I realised the battery was on it's way out yet again!
    So I am being given another new battery today, and I will keep a very careful eye on its daily state, especially if this happens again!
    09 Kyron, the Korean Snail.
    NO Meeow!
    Blanked EGR.
    Thermo Electric Cooling fan.