Towing horsebox with/without towing stabiliser?

Smile Towing horsebox with/without towing stabiliser?

Hi All

Question from my side:

Advisable to invest in a towing stabiliser when towing a horsebox? Any advice or experience?

My concern is the weight distribution might not be correct and not really able to correct since I cant load the horses in a different configuration. Not 100% sure how to check/calculate for this or just to add some extra weight to the nose just to be sure?

We havent had any problems but want to avoid them at all cost.

The total weight of the box with two horses and feed in is approaching 2300kg's.

Just want to get some ideas and thoughts on if a towing stabiliser helps in certain cases (not compensating for a badly distributed load but rather specific uncontrollable scenarios ie: strong gusts of side winds, passing trucks and a quick swerve to avoid something).

All comments, tips, ideas and tricks are welcome please!

Danie

Ford Ranger 2.2 Supercab 2018

Default Re: Towing horsebox with/without towing stabiliser?

Any kind of stabiliser is always going to increase your safety - there are just no negatives to fitting one, whether you need it or not. They're also not a hassle to operate. So if you're in any doubt about towing the rig, fit one.

I agree fit one not only for your safety but horses are not cheap
    Audi A6 Avant Quattro V6 tdi
    VW Touareg V6 tdi ( sadly written off )
    2 x Toyota Celica GT4 Gen 6 (Sold) sadly missed
    2 x Toyota Celica Gen. 5 ( Sold ) not missed as much as the above.

Its important that the weight distribution is correct, thus always a down pressure on the tow bar, and with a double axle then it should be quit stable. But an additional safety measure would only helps.
    Johan Kriel

LC's and Echo Chobe

Thanks everyone!

I also think there is no harm in getting one.

It is a double axle, 2 girth box with weight of 850kg and GVM of 2300kg.

It tows like a dream and really stable, I am just always thinking of ways to improve when the unexpected happens.

Any brands in particular?

I've heard some are meant for 'light' towing only and there are brands/devices for a heavier loads.

Danie

Hi Danie,

Have been towing horseboxes for over 20 years.
    Also grew up with Caravans.

A Caravan is easy to load wrong, however a double axle is a little more forgiving. Have been ons trips with serious cross winds and seen the single axle caravans been ripped around with stabilizers. The double axle without stabilizer wiggles a little and still runs true. The Double axle behind it with stabilizer runs about the same. Only difference was the Fairlane 500 without stabilizer had its bit hanging a little more.

With Horseboxes I have never felt the need for a Stabilizer and I tow on average 2 weekends a month.
    The axles are positioned far back to carry the weight of the horses and the overhang to the front is long enough for adequate down force.
    I have personally never had a horsebox that swings or snakes around.

My only rule is the largest or heaviest horse always travels on the right hand side. I have the horsebox travels more with push to the left on the down slope of the road when the heavy horse is on the left. Also tend to correct steering line more.

I never exceed 100 when towing on highway and slow down long before turns.

More important is to have your horseboxes bearings and brakes serviced regularly.

My opinion unnecessary but if you feel saver or more controlled go for it.

PS: which horse and discipline are you guys involved in.

Thanks MickPrado

This is reassuring advice, we also always load the heaviest horse on the right or if only travelling with one horse.

I've also never heard of sway or snaking if loaded correctly and sticking to the 100km/h rule.

I might still invest in a stabilizer, maybe just for towing with an empty box and heavy weather.

My wife is a keen Endurance Rider and competes every month, incredible sport.

Thanks for all the advice!