reflective foil to cover tent




Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Centurion + Others
    Age
    59
    Posts
    2,656
    Thanked: 159

    Default reflective foil to cover tent

    I suppose this is available but I've never seen/heard of it.

    is there something like a 'dashboard sun reflector' that can be pulled over a tent to reflect the sun?

    a little more robust than a space blanket , but that would work perfectly.

    thanks

    cc
    Merit before Race - anything else IS Racism.
    Stay Calm, engage low-ratio, keep buggering on - a Landy Man
    Longevity isn't worth dying for,

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Centurion
    Age
    32
    Posts
    714
    Thanked: 605

    Default Re: reflective foil to cover tent

    "Grent" Vitara
    EX- EL JIMBO - RED AND "FAST"

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to New For This Useful Post:


  4. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Krugersdorp
    Age
    54
    Posts
    58
    Thanked: 11

    Default Re: reflective foil to cover tent

    Reflecto sheet from ODW.
    https://www.outdoorwarehouse.co.za/p...to-sheet-4x58m.
    Available in different sizes. I made up poles with extra guy ropes so that I can use mine as an additional awning.
    Definitely helps for the heat.
    2014 Renault Duster 4x4
    Haval H1
    2016 Offtrax Outplay

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Age
    64
    Posts
    1,995
    Thanked: 433

    Default Re: reflective foil to cover tent

    Chamdor Faktry sales in Edenvale sells a parachute material (and also ripstop) with the one side having a reflective silver coating.

    https://www.chamdor.com/branches/edenvale/

    I bought some of it, took my RTT to "Blue Hole Trading" in Benoni and they remade the flysheet of the RTT in that material, for not a lot of money!!. The difference is amazing, I can even have a rest in the afternoon in the tent now, even when its not in the shade.

    https://www.bluehole.co.za/
    Last edited by mvcoller; 2018/11/05 at 05:17 PM.
    Malcolm van Coller - retired but remained living in Johannesburg (love it here, can find everything you want and need here in Jhb)
    2011 Nissan Pathfinder 2,5 CDi LE Manual (Standard Traction Control plus Front Diff Locker)
    2008 Nissan Patrol 3.0 TDi GL (Packing system, 60lt water tank, std rear locker, LOKKA on front, two 105ah aux batteries on NL system, larger Cirrus intercooler, complete 76mm exhaust system)
    2003 Bushwakka Shorti (extra luggage space for customers on when on safari (with 160 H/Moon Star Gazer RTT and 100lt water tanks)
    Ex 1999 Nissan Terrano 2.7 TDi (Limited Slip Diffs Front and Rear) with Jurgens RTT for Guiding trips
    Ex 2011 Conqueror Supra II for personal camping
    Ex 1995 GQ Patrol GLX 3 speed Auto (disaster that box was!) - Lexus V8 transplant
    Ex 1984 Nissan Safari (Poelies Vehn) 2.8 Stationwagon with 5 speed conversion, rusted like it was paid to rust!
    Ex 1995 Sani 3.0 V6 Exec
    Ex 1994 Venture 2200 with lock diff (Company vehicle) that whet my appetite for overlanding.
    Many 4x4s in National Service (Landies, Jeeps, Willys, Bedfords, Unimogs and Buffels)

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to mvcoller For This Useful Post:


  7. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Grabouw
    Age
    61
    Posts
    1,439
    Thanked: 109

    Default Re: reflective foil to cover tent

    Quote Originally Posted by mvcoller View Post
    Chamdor Faktry sales in Edenvale sells a parachute material (and also ripstop) with the one side having a reflective silver coating.

    https://www.chamdor.com/branches/edenvale/

    I bought some of it, took my RTT to "Blue Hole Trading" in Benoni and they remade the flysheet of the RTT in that material, for not a lot of money!!. The difference is amazing, I can even have a rest in the afternoon in the tent now, even when its not in the shade.

    https://www.bluehole.co.za/
    That is good news Malcolm.
    Pity I am so far away as I have been looking around the Strand area for something similar, but must have bad eyesight and could not find anything.
    The flysheet of my tent was ripped in a noem-noem bush at a campsite recently.

  8. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    centurion
    Age
    48
    Posts
    6
    Thanked: 0

    Default Re: reflective foil to cover tent

    One question, what is the best distance between the tent and such a reflective cover? 20cm? 30cm?

    Heat can cross small distances easily and I wonder if airflow would also help

  9. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Walker Bay
    Posts
    8,473
    Thanked: 718

    Default Re: reflective foil to cover tent

    I have been told that a lot of the heat comes not only from the roof but also the tent sides. Maybe don't buy anything too small.

    I bought one of the expensive high gloss reflective sheets - canvas backed.
    If I bought again would probably take a cheapie from Outdoor Warehouse.
    I prefer the less gloss finish as it does not disturb your neighbours. It does of course not reflect heat to the same extent.

    Still looking for the ideal solution to place between the sheet and the tent for ventilation - particularly in windy areas.

    ďAfrica changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway

  10. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Bloemfontein
    Age
    55
    Posts
    119
    Thanked: 7

    Default Re: reflective foil to cover tent

    Quote Originally Posted by Augustk View Post
    One question, what is the best distance between the tent and such a reflective cover? 20cm? 30cm?

    Heat can cross small distances easily and I wonder if airflow would also help
    Use plastic soccer balls to lift silver sheet from tent.
    2007 Jeep Wrangler CRD unlimited sport 6 speed manual

    1973 Range Rover

    2001 ML 320 petrol

    2006 Conqueror Supra

  11. #9
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Tshwanetoria
    Age
    65
    Posts
    990
    Thanked: 222

    Default Re: reflective foil to cover tent

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Dold View Post
    I have been told that a lot of the heat comes not only from the roof but also the tent sides. Maybe don't buy anything too small.

    I bought one of the expensive high gloss reflective sheets - canvas backed.
    If I bought again would probably take a cheapie from Outdoor Warehouse.
    I prefer the less gloss finish as it does not disturb your neighbours. It does of course not reflect heat to the same extent.

    Still looking for the ideal solution to place between the sheet and the tent for ventilation - particularly in windy areas.
    Pool noodle?



  12. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    49
    Posts
    514
    Thanked: 64

    Default Re: reflective foil to cover tent

    We have the Reflecto sheets at Camp And Climb too

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •