Drakensburg.......What route...?

Default Drakensburg.......What route...?

Howdy all...Trust everyone is well....

Family and I are heading down to Uvongo(Via Bulwer onto Ixopo and onwards-cannot bare the thought of missing a scenic route).

My question is....

On the way back home, Which route could I take to have a really nice drive along, over, through the Drakensburg? I have the Everest 4x2, so not sure as to where I will be able to go? Would like to show the family some of our countries beauty, but have NOidea of the routes through the berg. I always enjoy the more scenic route, so hoping you folks could point me in that direction.

Any suggestions welcome...

It all needs to be within a days drive...

TIA

Default Re: Drakensburg.......What route...?

If t is nice and dry, come up with Bezuidenhouts pass. Will not tackle it with a 4x2 alone in the wet, purely due to safety reasons.
    Jan
    Suzuki Grand Vitara Summit (2017)
    (Previously owned (Only the Zooks really matter): Jimny 2010, Jimny 2013)
    Beta 400rr Enduro
    Wife: Suzuki Vitara GL+
    (Previously:Suzuki Swift GLS, Suzuki SX4 GLX)
    KTM 150 xc

to have everything in a day drive stay on tar road,there is a lot of nice places
    along Nottingham road ,curry post...etc
    than Winterton,Bergville to Sterkfontain Dam and back to N3 at Harrismith

Bezuidenhouts pass can be very bad if it rains,of after rain.
    you can drive over fresh mud slides without even knowing it,and sink.(got a t-shirt)

on dirt roads with few stops to enjoy a view
    Howick to Winterton can be 8 hours vs 90 min on N3
    to include Bergville and Bezuidenhouts pass to Harrismith can add another few.

hope this helps.

From Underberg one can take the Loteni road (gravel) all the way to Nottingham Road, then carry on to Mooi River, Winterton, Bergville and onwards like mentioned above.

Also remember that you can now do Sani Pass in a Porche if you want - the road is tarred all the way to the top. Head to Himeville from Underberg and carry on into Lesotho.
    The best 4x4 is an Avis Polo

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Typhive View Post
    From Underberg one can take the Loteni road (gravel) all the way to Nottingham Road, then carry on to Mooi River, Winterton, Bergville and onwards like mentioned above.

Also remember that you can now do Sani Pass in a Porche if you want - the road is tarred all the way to the top. Head to Himeville from Underberg and carry on into Lesotho.
    Tarred all the way to the top

When did you drive the tarred road?

I don't know where Drakensburg is, but for spectacular beauty over the Drakensberg maybe try the Normandien Pass between Newcastle and Memel. It's rough, but you 4x2 Everest should be able to handle it. I would also suggest the Lotheni Road between Nottingham Road and Himeville; simply beautiful. If you're going past Weza on the N2, stop at the Ingeli Forest Lodge and do some of the easy hikes in the very special Ingeli Forest, one of the few forests where Henkel's yellowwood is a dominant species.
    2001 Gen 3 Pajero swb 3.2 Di-D

Quote Originally Posted by Jens78 View Post
    I don't know where Drakensburg is, but for spectacular beauty over the Drakensberg maybe try the Normandien Pass between Newcastle and Memel. It's rough, but you 4x2 Everest should be able to handle it. I would also suggest the Lotheni Road between Nottingham Road and Himeville; simply beautiful. If you're going past Weza on the N2, stop at the Ingeli Forest Lodge and do some of the easy hikes in the very special Ingeli Forest, one of the few forests where Henkel's yellowwood is a dominant species.
    I agree with Jens, two awesome routes to travel

As for where the Drakensberg is... Starts somewhere in the Eastern cape all the way up to Swadini/Hoedspruit in the north +- 900Km's. Some awesome passes to travel along the escarpment

Quote Originally Posted by Ejay View Post
    Tarred all the way to the top

When did you drive the tarred road?
    My bad... "Sections of the Sani Pass are tarred"

I didn't drive it myself, but I have heard that it is now more accessible with 2x4's. Can anyone verify this?
    The best 4x4 is an Avis Polo

I like taking the Oliviers Pass down instead of Van Reenen.

Takes you past Little Switzerland, Sterkfontein dam. Through Bergville and Winterton.

I get back on the N3 just past Winterton and then off again at Mooi River. Nottingham Road R103 all the way past Hilton. Back on the N3 in Pietermaritzburg. Stop at the Howick falls etc.

Did this route yesterday, nice drive...

Ross

Quote Originally Posted by Redman View Post
    I like taking the Oliviers Pass down instead of Van Reenen.

Takes you past Little Switzerland, Sterkfontein dam. Through Bergville and Winterton.

I get back on the N3 just past Winterton and then off again at Mooi River. Nottingham Road R103 all the way past Hilton. Back on the N3 in Pietermaritzburg. Stop at the Howick falls etc.
    Sounds like the one I might be taking this time round.... what is the travel time usually on this stretch?

I really appreciate everyines input, certainly some other routes to consider when I have a bit more time on my side

Quote Originally Posted by For_Everest_After View Post
    Sounds like the one I might be taking this time round.... what is the travel time usually on this stretch?
    Quite difficult to tell you honestly. Tend to take our time on this route so the time i give you will not be a true reflection. I always like to spend an hour or so at the Bierfassl.

Without stopping I would say travel time from Harrismith to Durban will be about 4h, give or take 15min.

When we do this route we usually plan 6h.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Redman For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Redman View Post
    Quite difficult to tell you honestly. Tend to take our time on this route so the time i give you will not be a true reflection. I always like to spend an hour or so at the Bierfassl.

Without stopping I would say travel time from Harrismith to Durban will be about 4h, give or take 15min.

When we do this route we usually plan 6h.

So we did the route as suggested... Beautiful back road. I always enjoy taking a road I have never travelled, I really enjoyed it. I got to see all the wheat fields, the silhouette of the Berg and the the majestic Sterkfonteindam.. Its shear size knocked my socks off. The road was pleasant with little traffic, thanks a mill.....

Cheers to many unknowns being discovered
    Attached Images Attached Images