Tentco Bundu Canopy- please post your pics/ setup/ tips - Page 2




Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 37 of 37
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Richardsbay, KZN
    Age
    44
    Posts
    4,029
    Thanked: 3865

    Default Re: Tentco Bundu Canopy- please post your pics/ setup/ tips

    First use of the Bundu canopy with the bakkie. Used for the weekend as the kitchen, works well. I must add that the canopy doesn't like a lot of rain, the water pools and the weight pulls the pegs on the two corners out. I will have to try heavier duty pegs next time.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "Stare, pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something, you are not here long"
    Walker Evans, Photographer

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Riaan van Wyk For This Useful Post:


  3. #22
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Richardsbay, KZN
    Age
    44
    Posts
    4,029
    Thanked: 3865

    Default Re: Tentco Bundu Canopy- please post your pics/ setup/ tips

    The canopy survived 40 knot gusts and a deluge of rain last night. And provided a place to hide.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "Stare, pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something, you are not here long"
    Walker Evans, Photographer

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to Riaan van Wyk For This Useful Post:


  5. #23
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Walker Bay
    Age
    75
    Posts
    8,637
    Thanked: 775

    Default Re: Tentco Bundu Canopy- please post your pics/ setup/ tips

    Well tested!

    ďAfrica changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway

  6. #24
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    65
    Posts
    24
    Thanked: 6

    Default Re: Tentco Bundu Canopy- please post your pics/ setup/ tips

    I've been considering the Tentco Bundu Canopy to use as an additional shelter, while camping with a Howling Moon dome tent. It seems from all the photos here that it is typically used abutting a vehicle, as its designation, canopy, suggests. My question; is it suitable to use similar to a gazebo, either alone standing or abutting the tent?

    My idea is using the canopy with its rear against the tent, fitting a shade net over the canopy's rear poles and extending the shade net over the tent for shade. I'll possibly need to add guy ropes to balance the forces in the centre. I attach a drawing of how I want to use it - my apologies for my poor draftsman skills!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Canopy and tent drawing.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	99.8 KB 
ID:	518026

    Will this work? The reasons I wish to get the canopy instead of a Junior Gazebo, include it being easier to connect the shade netting to the canopy, quicker to set-up, lighter and taking up less space when packed.

  7. #25
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Richardsbay, KZN
    Age
    44
    Posts
    4,029
    Thanked: 3865

    Default Re: Tentco Bundu Canopy- please post your pics/ setup/ tips

    Quote Originally Posted by Katlagter View Post
    I've been considering the Tentco Bundu Canopy to use as an additional shelter, while camping with a Howling Moon dome tent. It seems from all the photos here that it is typically used abutting a vehicle, as its designation, canopy, suggests. My question; is it suitable to use similar to a gazebo, either alone standing or abutting the tent?

    My idea is using the canopy with its rear against the tent, fitting a shade net over the canopy's rear poles and extending the shade net over the tent for shade. I'll possibly need to add guy ropes to balance the forces in the centre. I attach a drawing of how I want to use it - my apologies for my poor draftsman skills!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Canopy and tent drawing.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	99.8 KB 
ID:	518026

    Will this work? The reasons I wish to get the canopy instead of a Junior Gazebo, include it being easier to connect the shade netting to the canopy, quicker to set-up, lighter and taking up less space when packed.
    The challenge is with the rear centre pole on the canopy, when standing alone ( and not fastened to a structure) it needs that centre pole to be relatively rigid, from what I have found. Your plan from what I can see from the drawing omits that pole. it will also sag there and any rain will collect and funnel onto your tent door area.

    Anton uses the canopy more often as standalone - he might be wiser in the comment.
    "Stare, pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something, you are not here long"
    Walker Evans, Photographer

  8. #26
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Alberton
    Age
    57
    Posts
    5,479
    Thanked: 1744

    Default Re: Tentco Bundu Canopy- please post your pics/ setup/ tips

    A little off topic, we went with the Tentco senior gazebo (our instant up is wearing out fast). Like the idea of having both sides and entrances if you want.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

    2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R

  9. #27
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    65
    Posts
    24
    Thanked: 6

    Default Re: Tentco Bundu Canopy- please post your pics/ setup/ tips

    Quote Originally Posted by Riaan van Wyk View Post
    The challenge is with the rear centre pole on the canopy, when standing alone ( and not fastened to a structure) it needs that centre pole to be relatively rigid, from what I have found. Your plan from what I can see from the drawing omits that pole. it will also sag there and any rain will collect and funnel onto your tent door area.

    Anton uses the canopy more often as standalone - he might be wiser in the comment.
    Thank you, I wondered whether there was a rear centre pole, as I could not see one on the photographs, obviously because all were taken with the canopy abutting vehicles. OK, in that case my plan will probably not work. Will have to work out a plan to fasten shade netting to the top of a gazebo.

  10. #28
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Richardsbay, KZN
    Age
    44
    Posts
    4,029
    Thanked: 3865

    Default Re: Tentco Bundu Canopy- please post your pics/ setup/ tips

    Quote Originally Posted by Katlagter View Post
    Thank you, I wondered whether there was a rear centre pole, as I could not see one on the photographs, obviously because all were taken with the canopy abutting vehicles. OK, in that case my plan will probably not work. Will have to work out a plan to fasten shade netting to the top of a gazebo.
    There is an eyelet where an extra ordered pole goes. It is free standing then Katlagter.
    "Stare, pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something, you are not here long"
    Walker Evans, Photographer

  11. #29
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Elspark
    Age
    51
    Posts
    777
    Thanked: 537

    Default Re: Tentco Bundu Canopy- please post your pics/ setup/ tips

    Freestanding Bundu Canopy.

    Really works well.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tentco.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	556.6 KB 
ID:	518104

  12. #30
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Jeffrey's Bay
    Age
    55
    Posts
    64
    Thanked: 24

    Default Re: Tentco Bundu Canopy- please post your pics/ setup/ tips

    Quote Originally Posted by Riaan van Wyk View Post
    There is an eyelet where an extra ordered pole goes. It is free standing then Katlagter.
    First pic canopy is attached to the Ranger and in the second standing alone. I just loosen bundu canopy and insert extra pole to support while out on drives. Saves me to take down and erect again. Sorry only pic I could find..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	542160DD-7684-488F-B03C-DFD31B138866.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	60.5 KB 
ID:	518105   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C656F5B2-56C3-4426-B553-EA8F78F2C969.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	36.7 KB 
ID:	518106  
    2013 Ranger 3.2 XLS Super Cab 4x4
    2015 Xplorer Sold

  13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RobbieT6 For This Useful Post:


  14. #31
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Richardsbay, KZN
    Age
    44
    Posts
    4,029
    Thanked: 3865

    Default Re: Tentco Bundu Canopy- please post your pics/ setup/ tips

    Quote Originally Posted by RobbieT6 View Post
    First pic canopy is attached to the Ranger and in the second standing alone. I just loosen bundu canopy and insert extra pole to support while out on drives. Saves me to take down and erect again. Sorry only pic I could find..
    That works yes, same reason why I also have an extra pole for if we want to do this.
    "Stare, pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something, you are not here long"
    Walker Evans, Photographer

  15. #32
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Alberton
    Age
    57
    Posts
    5,479
    Thanked: 1744

    Default Re: Tentco Bundu Canopy- please post your pics/ setup/ tips

    Quote Originally Posted by AntonN View Post
    Freestanding Bundu Canopy.

    Really works well.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tentco.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	556.6 KB 
ID:	518104
    Indeed, that looks good
    Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

    2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to Stranger For This Useful Post:


  17. #33
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Richardsbay, KZN
    Age
    44
    Posts
    4,029
    Thanked: 3865

    Default Re: Tentco Bundu Canopy- please post your pics/ setup/ tips

    Quote Originally Posted by AntonN View Post
    Freestanding Bundu Canopy.

    Really works well.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tentco.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	556.6 KB 
ID:	518104
    Anton yours seem to have cross braces between the side poles? That will sturdy up the design tremendously. Also, what side panels are you using?
    "Stare, pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something, you are not here long"
    Walker Evans, Photographer

  18. #34
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Elspark
    Age
    51
    Posts
    777
    Thanked: 537

    Default Re: Tentco Bundu Canopy- please post your pics/ setup/ tips

    Riaan
    Those are the sides for the Bundu and I got both sides. They come with a telescopic cross brace between the two side poles. It is very sturdy and definitely improves rigidity and shape.

    I am checking this weekend if I can put one of those braces between the two long poles on the ridge of the canopy. That will help with rigidity on the ridge. Hopefully that prevents the sagging between the 2 long poles when set up as a stand-alone. It looks a bit "untidy" in the picture here, but I was in a rush and beer was getting warm.

    I am also looking at replacement long poles. The ones supplied are very flimsy. I want something more "substantial". Otherwise it works great.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AntonN For This Useful Post:


  20. #35
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Richardsbay, KZN
    Age
    44
    Posts
    4,029
    Thanked: 3865

    Default Re: Tentco Bundu Canopy- please post your pics/ setup/ tips

    Looks good Anton - the roof edges seals where it joins the sidewalls?

    It rains so often here that it has become second nature to question any tent/ design as to how it will handle a downpour.
    "Stare, pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something, you are not here long"
    Walker Evans, Photographer

  21. #36
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Elspark
    Age
    51
    Posts
    777
    Thanked: 537

    Default Re: Tentco Bundu Canopy- please post your pics/ setup/ tips

    Quote Originally Posted by Riaan van Wyk View Post
    Looks good Anton - the roof edges seals where it joins the sidewalls?

    It rains so often here that it has become second nature to question any tent/ design as to how it will handle a downpour.
    Now therein lies the problem....! The roof does overlap, however doesn't seal. With ignorance and lack of attention, I did get my table and stove wet when I cleared the water that got trapped on the roof...One time only! This the reason for my attempt at a support on the Canopy ridge to square things away a bit. Run-off water is not a problem and in a straight downpour I had no issues with water in the "shelter" area, call it that. Only the roof trapping water was a detail I had to take care of. It probably is not going to keep one totally dry in a major storm with side-ways action going on.

    In a previous post somewhere I mentioned that the Bundu is found wanting in this respect, as probably any other awning. The only thing that is going to keep one totally dry is a tent with a bath-tub type incorporated PVC ground sheet. I don't see any awning/Gazebo keeping one dry in heavy windy storms. The sides do help a lot and in December we had rain for 3 consecutive nights. I carefully cleared the trapped water on the roof not to get water all over the place, and the area under the canopy stayed completely dry. I actually had only one side on the awning mounted, not both. Worked very well.

    I remind myself this is a awning first, not a tent, and I use it this way. A win for me is how quick and easy it sets up and I think it is more sturdy than these flimsy aluminium swing awnings.

  22. The Following User Says Thank You to AntonN For This Useful Post:


  23. #37
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Nelspruit
    Age
    55
    Posts
    1,480
    Thanked: 373

    Default Re: Tentco Bundu Canopy- please post your pics/ setup/ tips

    Quote Originally Posted by AntonN View Post
    Now therein lies the problem....! The roof does overlap, however doesn't seal. With ignorance and lack of attention, I did get my table and stove wet when I cleared the water that got trapped on the roof...One time only! This the reason for my attempt at a support on the Canopy ridge to square things away a bit. Run-off water is not a problem and in a straight downpour I had no issues with water in the "shelter" area, call it that. Only the roof trapping water was a detail I had to take care of. It probably is not going to keep one totally dry in a major storm with side-ways action going on.

    In a previous post somewhere I mentioned that the Bundu is found wanting in this respect, as probably any other awning. The only thing that is going to keep one totally dry is a tent with a bath-tub type incorporated PVC ground sheet. I don't see any awning/Gazebo keeping one dry in heavy windy storms. The sides do help a lot and in December we had rain for 3 consecutive nights. I carefully cleared the trapped water on the roof not to get water all over the place, and the area under the canopy stayed completely dry. I actually had only one side on the awning mounted, not both. Worked very well.

    I remind myself this is a awning first, not a tent, and I use it this way. A win for me is how quick and easy it sets up and I think it is more sturdy than these flimsy aluminium swing awnings.
    I think I have mentioned it before. I want to fit an eyelid on the roof section between the 2 side poles. One can then attach a rope and pull the roof tight over the cross pole holding the side walls.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •