Malawi trip 2019

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Malawi trip 2019

Hi all

I'm hoping to drive from jhb to Malawi next year some time. Most probably around August.

All I know at the moment is that lake Malawi is the objective and we will have max 3 weeks for the trip.

Looking for any tips out there.

Firstly I need ideas on a route to take. Not sure if we should go through zim or moz to get there and what are nice places to visit on the way?

Secondly would be Malawi advice. Where to go and where to stay.

Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Malawi trip 2019

HI Shwam,

I have just come back from a weekend trip to Liwonde NP. Not slept much as several Elephants decided to have a late night snacking on trees above out tent. I suppose it's their home after all...

Anyway, maybe after a good night sleep I can help you with some ideas for an itinerary.

Let me know what you are interested in: parks and nature, walking, beach life, tea estates?

August can be quite cold. Nothing like Jo'burg tho'...

Cheers

3. The Following User Says Thank You to tashtego9 For This Useful Post:

Hi,
    beside the lake of course, if in Lilongwe I would definitely take a trip to South Luangwa in the neighboring Zambia. Lilongwe is actualy the closest large town from S. L.
    Then if you can is Nyika np a must go. Just for the scenery, the abillity to walk around and the wildlife (roans, bushbuck, reedbucks, elans, zebra, hyenas and if you are lucky a leopard) If there make sure to visit the canopy forest tracks.
    Compared to South Luangwa the wildlife areas in Malawi are far below in all criterias but if you are passing by som might give you the possibility to see some special wildlife as well as interesting habitat. In Liwonde, on top of elephant and commons antilopes are sable regularly seen. In Kasungu you may seen lichtenstein hartbeest and maybee buspigs etc.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Phili For This Useful Post:

Hi,
    beside the lake of course, if in Lilongwe I would definitely take a trip to South Luangwa in the neighboring Zambia. Lilongwe is actualy the closest large town from S. L.
    Then if you can is Nyika np a must go. Just for the scenery, the abillity to walk around and the wildlife (roans, bushbuck, reedbucks, elans, zebra, hyenas and if you are lucky a leopard) If there make sure to visit the canopy forest tracks.
    Compared to South Luangwa the wildlife areas in Malawi are far below in all criterias but if you are passing by som might give you the possibility to see some special wildlife as well as interesting habitat. In Liwonde, on top of elephant and commons antilopes are sable regularly seen. In Kasungu you may seen lichtenstein hartbeest and maybee buspigs etc.

In the South of the lake, a few (3 or so) Monkey bay and then a visit to the islands Mombo or Domwe (where you can camp) is def woth it!

Then one of our future trips is to travel the lake with the "Illala"

http://4x4assist.co.za/blog/malawi-2013/

8. The Following User Says Thank You to 0000ms For This Useful Post:

Thanks for all the comments so far!

Definitely very interested in the wild life and getting to national parks on the way to and back from Malawi.
    Liwonde NP is on the list as well.

I'd like to try have about a week around the lake relaxing hard and hopefully getting some dives in.
    Been a dream of mine to dive the lake and hopefully make my way up a bit further north to Nkhata.

What do you guys think the best way is to get to Malawi?
    My GF is not the biggest fan of long drives so I'd like to break it up as much as possible and get some good stops in on the way for a night or 2 at a time and hopefully not drive more than 8 hours a day.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Shwam View Post

Definitely very interested in the wild life and getting to national parks on the way to and back from Malawi.

I'd like to try have about a week around the lake relaxing hard and hopefully getting some dives in.
    Been a dream of mine to dive the lake and hopefully make my way up a bit further north to Nkhata.

My GF is not the biggest fan of long drives so I'd like to break it up as much as possible and get some good stops in on the way for a night or 2 at a time and hopefully not drive more than 8 hours a day.

Thanks!
    Jhb - Elephant & Lion (Zim)
    Elephant & Lion - Mutare
    Mutare - Tete
    Tete - Malawi

11. The Following User Says Thank You to 0000ms For This Useful Post:

Thanks!
    You can definitely follow the route above , as advised by 0000ms.

You can also come to Malawi via Moz, you get to break the trip by spending a couple of days by the sea. That would be JHB to wherever you can make it to the coast, spend however long you want there, then proceed to Chimoio via the Save river bridge.

Spend he night in Chimoio, next day leave for Tete and Malawi border.

I prefer this as the Zim route was always full of delays and hassles and it was ok when i was 25 but now I am too old for all that drama, but apparently the border and police road blocks situation is much better now. Fuel availability, check around the time of your trip.

Liwonde will give you the best wildlife viewing in the South.

Lakeshore: Cape Maclear in the south and Nkhata bay and Chinteche in the north. Also in the North Niyka plateau is lovely.

Where to stay: are you camping? RTT? lodges?

cheers
    Last edited by tashtego9; 2018/11/06 at 10:11 AM.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tashtego9 For This Useful Post:

Yea was thinking the Moz route as well.
    Thought about spending a night or 2 in kruger, then a few nights somewhere coastal in Moz and then take 2 days to get to Malawi.
    Possibly the Zim route on the way back.

We did Zim in July and didn't have a single issue with police.
    We were pulled over once and the cop only wanted to say hi to us and tell us to enjoy our stay haha.

How are the police in Moz?
    I've heard about a lot of horror stories where cops try to hold drivers' licences to solicit bribes..

What are your thoughts about doing the trip with only 1 vehicle?
    Hoping to have 2 but just thinking about the possibility of the other vehicle not being able to join.

And then we will most probably be camping more than lodging but will be a bit of a mix

Yea was thinking the Moz route as well.
    Thought about spending a night or 2 in kruger, then a few nights somewhere coastal in Moz and then take 2 days to get to Malawi.
    Possibly the Zim route on the way back.

We did Zim in July and didn't have a single issue with police.
    We were pulled over once and the cop only wanted to say hi to us and tell us to enjoy our stay haha.

How are the police in Moz?
    I've heard about a lot of horror stories where cops try to hold drivers' licences to solicit bribes..

What are your thoughts about doing the trip with only 1 vehicle?
    Hoping to have 2 but just thinking about the possibility of the other vehicle not being able to join.

And then we will most probably be camping more than lodging but will be a bit of a mix

ACCOMODATION:

I really like Makuzi beach in Chinteche and Liwonde Safari Camp at Liwonde NP. Easy to send them en email and see.. They both have camping facilities and chalets too.

Nkhata Bay , I have never actually stayed, only day trips while based in Mzuzu.

CapeMaclear: Fat monkeys have a campsite but I have not been in almost 20 years so I can't comment. When I visit Cape Mac I stay at different places but they do not have camping facilities.

POLICE:

Police in Southern Moz are often a pain as they want to make money out of SA tourists.

In the North, where mass tourism hasn't started yet, they are much more relaxed and I have never been fined or even asked for any sort of bribe or gift.

One vehicle: It's up to you, I have only ever travelled as one car, I don't think there should be any issues.

Cheers

16. The Following User Says Thank You to tashtego9 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by tashtego9 View Post
    ACCOMODATION:

I really like Makuzi beach in Chinteche and Liwonde Safari Camp at Liwonde NP. Easy to send them en email and see.. They both have camping facilities and chalets too.

Nkhata Bay , I have never actually stayed, only day trips while based in Mzuzu.

CapeMaclear: Fat monkeys have a campsite but I have not been in almost 20 years so I can't comment. When I visit Cape Mac I stay at different places but they do not have camping facilities.

POLICE:

Police in Southern Moz are often a pain as they want to make money out of SA tourists.

In the North, where mass tourism hasn't started yet, they are much more relaxed and I have never been fined or even asked for any sort of bribe or gift.

One vehicle: It's up to you, I have only ever travelled as one car, I don't think there should be any issues.

Cheers
    Thanks for the info!

Name:  Screenshot_20190213-213551.png
Views: 527
Size:  235.3 KB

What you guys think of this as a rough route?
    Decided I don't want to go through zim due to unrest and high fuel prices (have over 1000km range on a fill but still don't want to bother with a possible fill there).

Anyone have an idea of safety along the route in Moz?

The safety situation in central and southern Moz is ok at the moment .

The main concern is the state of the road between southern Moz /Save river bridge through to Tete. This road varies and there are good bits, bad bits and atrocious bits.

For the latest on the state of the various stretches join Drivemoz and post your question, plenty people on that forum will have very recent experience. The recent heavy rains might have made some stretches worse .

Enjoy

20. The Following User Says Thank You to tashtego9 For This Useful Post:

Thanks for that bro.

Will definitely join the forum to get an idea of the roads.

Truthfully the worse the better haha
    Well at least for some patches.
    Would love to have to put my vehicle in low range for a bit

Default Malawi trip 2019

We travelled from Tanzania to Malawi over New Year,
    camped at Makuzi Beach Lodge (excellent),
    camped at Chembe Eagles Nest in Cape Maclear (nice lodge on the lake with good campsites.

We wanted to visit Liwonde and the south of Malawi, but it started to rain too much, so we changed plans.

We travelled via Zombe border to Tete
    camped in Tete on banks of Zambesi at Jesu 'e Bom,
    travelled south to Chimoyo and further south towards Dombe. Camped the night at Ndzou Lodge in the Chimanimani buffer zone (excellent camp) N260 road
    Via Dombe to the EN1 north of Save to Inhassoro
    Camped at Goody Villas - excellent camp
    Next to Chidenguele, camped at Sunset Beach Lodge - nice camp

NO issues at all regarding safety, police, traffic cops, bribery on whole trip of 16 000 km (RSA - Bots - Caprivi - Zambia - Tanzania - Kenya - Tanzania - Malawi - Moz - RSA.

We felt safer than in RSA all the way north and back. Had 4 speed fines within town limited areas in Tanzania which we paid without argument, got stopped more than 200 times during the whole trip with them being friendly, and asking where we were going, and then waving us on.

The road was excellent from Dombe, via Chimoyo all the way to Malawi. Between Vilanculos and 50 km north of Save it was bad and the going was slow.

In Malawi the roads are OK. 100km/h max with narrow tarred roads and lots of pedestrians and bicycles on the road.

We used iOverlander app extensively to read reviews on each camp.
    Last edited by ginakuhn; 2019/02/14 at 08:30 PM.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ginakuhn For This Useful Post:

Thanks for that bro.

Will definitely join the forum to get an idea of the roads.

Truthfully the worse the better haha
    Well at least for some patches.
    Would love to have to put my vehicle in low range for a bit
    Shwam,

I don’t think you realize what “bad road” means in Moz. It is a tarred road with potholes the size of you car. No low range required ... just a lot of patience and time . Expect average speed of 10km/h.

Etienne

Hi All

We are planning a trip during the June/July school holidays to Bots, Zam, Malawi & Zim.

Most everything is sorted except for a place to stay over in Lilongwe. We will be coming from S.L.N.P en-route to Monkey bay area.

Any advice please?

Appreciated

Johannes

Quote Originally Posted by J Cronje View Post
    Hi All

We are planning a trip during the June/July school holidays to Bots, Zam, Malawi & Zim.

Most everything is sorted except for a place to stay over in Lilongwe. We will be coming from S.L.N.P en-route to Monkey bay area.

Any advice please?

Appreciated

Johannes
    If you are flexible with dates etc, on your way back from SLNP, once you cross the border at Mchinji, don't head for Lilongwe , but go to Chinteche (lake shore ) via kasungu and nkotakota national park.

If you are tied to a schedule and you need the be in LL, then Heuglins lodge is nice, if not cheap.

http://cawsmw.com

If you want to camp, Mabuya has a campsite but I have never stayed , worth a look:

https://www.mabuyacamp.com

Cheers
    Last edited by tashtego9; 2019/04/08 at 09:06 AM.

Thanks for the info

I will look into your suggestions.

Regards

Johannes

Don’t waste your time at Monkey Bay, Cape Maclear much nicer. Head to Chembe Eagles Nest.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast