NP300 Crash test - Page 2

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Re: NP300 Crash test

Don't feel to bad for the good old Hardbody. You''ll probably be going much faster in this. https://www.euroncap.com/en/results/ford/mustang/26063

Bought my NP300 2.5d D/C new in 2012 - Price was on some September cashback promotion = R234000 after that discount

It was a real bargain

It's paid off (some time back)

ODO now at only 120 000 km

It's spotless, trouble free and simple to maintain myself - will last me many more years....

Bugger the PNAC, CNAP or whatever....
    Last edited by Dungbeetle; 2018/11/05 at 01:39 PM.
    2000 Patrol GU 4.2D(onkey) beyond 844 000 km
    2014 Patrol GU 3.0CRD

Quote Originally Posted by kenskind View Post
    It gets a 3 star ncap rating:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koenFyBwms4
    I am impressed didn’t think it would do well.
    Duster 4wd (Jeep lite)
    Everest 2.2 XLS (Swambo’s mommy taxi)

I knew I was buying an old school bakkie, I am happy with my Hardbody.

It is one thing to be concerned about the front impact effect on the vehicle and people inside but should also be considered is items on the loadbed moving forward and hitting the cab during impact. Could be a double whammy...!!

A question for the more engineering inclined folks. With the cabin collapsing like that, does that mean the chasse has also collapsed? What would the effect of having a bull bar be? Would it mitigate it or make it worse....

That is the modern version of the test, updated to suit the modern requirements according to the latest Europe safety legislation! (SA has gone and adopted the new NCAP test without thinking further than their noses).

In Africa we drive cars until they are 30 and 40 years old. In Europe cars are a lot younger. We still have some older vehicles (Toyota Hilux SFA bakkies, Nissan bakkies, Cortinas, Escourts, Mercs, Corollas, Citi Golfs and even BMWs) that never even saw a NCAP test!!! Did you worry about it then? So why are you worried now?

You must look at the NCAP test data of the time the Hardbody and subsequent NP300 of the time of manufacture.

You surely do not think Nissan went and took a 30 year old design and deliberately took out parts and panels to the extent that it would fail the NCAP test?
    Last edited by mvcoller; 2018/11/05 at 04:50 PM.
    Malcolm van Coller - retired but remained living in Johannesburg (love it here, can find everything you want and need here in Jhb)
    2011 Nissan Pathfinder 2,5 CDi LE Manual (Standard Traction Control plus Front Diff Locker)
    2008 Nissan Patrol 3.0 TDi GL (Packing system, 60lt water tank, std rear locker, LOKKA on front, two 105ah aux batteries on NL system, larger Cirrus intercooler, complete 76mm exhaust system)
    2003 Bushwakka Shorti (extra luggage space for customers on when on safari (with 160 H/Moon Star Gazer RTT and 100lt water tanks)
    Ex 1999 Nissan Terrano 2.7 TDi (Limited Slip Diffs Front and Rear) with Jurgens RTT for Guiding trips
    Ex 2011 Conqueror Supra II for personal camping
    Ex 1995 GQ Patrol GLX 3 speed Auto (disaster that box was!) - Lexus V8 transplant
    Ex 1984 Nissan Safari (Poelies Vehn) 2.8 Stationwagon with 5 speed conversion, rusted like it was paid to rust!
    Ex 1995 Sani 3.0 V6 Exec
    Ex 1994 Venture 2200 with lock diff (Company vehicle) that whet my appetite for overlanding.
    Many 4x4s in National Service (Landies, Jeeps, Willys, Bedfords, Unimogs and Buffels)

Quote Originally Posted by Dungbeetle View Post
    Bought my NP300 2.5d D/C new in 2012
    Where did you buy it? It was not available locally then. It never could pass the "Clean Air" test and only recently qualified in SA to be sold here, not so?
    Malcolm van Coller - retired but remained living in Johannesburg (love it here, can find everything you want and need here in Jhb)
    2011 Nissan Pathfinder 2,5 CDi LE Manual (Standard Traction Control plus Front Diff Locker)
    2008 Nissan Patrol 3.0 TDi GL (Packing system, 60lt water tank, std rear locker, LOKKA on front, two 105ah aux batteries on NL system, larger Cirrus intercooler, complete 76mm exhaust system)
    2003 Bushwakka Shorti (extra luggage space for customers on when on safari (with 160 H/Moon Star Gazer RTT and 100lt water tanks)
    Ex 1999 Nissan Terrano 2.7 TDi (Limited Slip Diffs Front and Rear) with Jurgens RTT for Guiding trips
    Ex 2011 Conqueror Supra II for personal camping
    Ex 1995 GQ Patrol GLX 3 speed Auto (disaster that box was!) - Lexus V8 transplant
    Ex 1984 Nissan Safari (Poelies Vehn) 2.8 Stationwagon with 5 speed conversion, rusted like it was paid to rust!
    Ex 1995 Sani 3.0 V6 Exec
    Ex 1994 Venture 2200 with lock diff (Company vehicle) that whet my appetite for overlanding.
    Many 4x4s in National Service (Landies, Jeeps, Willys, Bedfords, Unimogs and Buffels)

Quote Originally Posted by mvcoller View Post
    Where did you buy it? It was not available locally then. It never could pass the "Clean Air" test and only recently qualified in SA to be sold here, not so?
    You are thinking about the 4x4

Mine is the 2x4 - was always available...
    2000 Patrol GU 4.2D(onkey) beyond 844 000 km
    2014 Patrol GU 3.0CRD

Quote Originally Posted by Mariuslg View Post
    It is one thing to be concerned about the front impact effect on the vehicle and people inside but should also be considered is items on the loadbed moving forward and hitting the cab during impact. Could be a double whammy...!!
    Or like a friend of mine who was killed in his Landcruiser when his bakkie lost a rear wheel while he was towing a heavy trailer.

The pushing trailer made him skid off a straight stretch of road where he collided with a small tree sideways, the cab was crunched in on top of his head and broke his neck. His friend who was in the accident with him is now paralysed from the waist down.

Not sure if the airbags popped, but as I understand it would have made no difference.

Moral of the story is that even if you have a “safe” vehicle, if your number is up, thats just the way it is. Sure we try mitigate risks as far as we can, but there are no guarentees.
    Duster 4wd (Jeep lite)
    Everest 2.2 XLS (Swambo’s mommy taxi)

It always bothered me if they have to tell me it has got a hardbody.

I've done a bit of googling about Global NCAP and there appears to be a bit of smoke and mirrors. In fact, as posted in another forum these findings are as suspect as some claimed fuel consumption figures that manufacturers claim that their vehicles produce.
    The safety rating seems to become a vital selling feature. This car has five stars and this one only has three; but the latter far superior roadholding and much better brakes. It can therefore avoid a collision instead of being involved.
    Another vital safety aspect is: What protection does it provide should the car roll? Does Global NCAP rate this?

I agree with some opinion that the tests only cover some prang angles and that Global NCAP have got on the bandwagon and become a necessary evil that compels manufacturers to submit their cars while the tests are not actual proof of safety.
    I wonder that if a manufacturer declines to provide cars whether Global NCAP will go out and buy these cars to test.
    My research does not reveal that these tests are compulsory - maybe I haven't done enough homework. It seems that manufacturers are being forced into this event, not for the sake of safety but, by the greed of Global NCAP to make money.

My 2 cents worth.

An afterthought. Many years ago Ralph Nader in the USA who condemned the Chev Corvair and made a fortune by criticising the automobile industry. Is this not deja vu?

Quote Originally Posted by DdeJ View Post
    I've done a bit of googling about Global NCAP and there appears to be a bit of smoke and mirrors. In fact, as posted in another forum these findings are as suspect as some claimed fuel consumption figures that manufacturers claim that their vehicles produce.
    The safety rating seems to become a vital selling feature. This car has five stars and this one only has three; but the latter far superior roadholding and much better brakes. It can therefore avoid a collision instead of being involved.
    Another vital safety aspect is: What protection does it provide should the car roll? Does Global NCAP rate this?

I agree with some opinion that the tests only cover some prang angles and that Global NCAP have got on the bandwagon and become a necessary evil that compels manufacturers to submit their cars while the tests are not actual proof of safety.
    I wonder that if a manufacturer declines to provide cars whether Global NCAP will go out and buy these cars to test.
    My research does not reveal that these tests are compulsory - maybe I haven't done enough homework. It seems that manufacturers are being forced into this event, not for the sake of safety but, by the greed of Global NCAP to make money.

My 2 cents worth.

An afterthought. Many years ago Ralph Nader in the USA who condemned the Chev Corvair and made a fortune by criticising the automobile industry. Is this not deja vu?
    If i read the article properly, they procured the vehicles themselves and imported them specifically to test them. They were not submitted by the manufacturers

Quote Originally Posted by HomeBrewer View Post
    If i read the article properly, they procured the vehicles themselves and imported them specifically to test them. They were not submitted by the manufacturers
    I don't believe that the AA and Global Ncap would spend this type of money and I use this reference:

"Global NCAP has released the results of its second crash test for South African-spec vehicles, in partnership with the Automobile Association, and a popular one-tonner has effectively been deemed a death trap."

I assume that these vehicles were supplied by the respective OEMs
    What have I misread?

I did some more googling and this looks like scam to me - sorry to say.

Very much like the Ralph Nader "Unsafe at any Speed"

https://www.aa.co.za/insights/global...rcarsforafrica

I did some more googling and this looks like scam to me - sorry to say.

Very much like the Ralph Nader "Unsafe at any Speed"

https://www.aa.co.za/insights/global...rcarsforafrica
    Why do you say that it looks like a scam?

I don't believe that the AA and Global Ncap would spend this type of money and I use this reference:

"Global NCAP has released the results of its second crash test for South African-spec vehicles, in partnership with the Automobile Association, and a popular one-tonner has effectively been deemed a death trap."

What have I misread?
    Nowhere does it say it was supplied by the OEM. The original article released last week said the full story will look for it. The whole point of the exercise was to assess vehicles supplied in Africa vs overseas considering the high death tole in road accidents. No point in sticking your head in the sand. I would rather know the facts than some BS spewed by the manufacturer.

This was the Ancap test of the single cab in 2008. Safety standards increasing over 10 years would probably explain going from 3 to 0 stars. Also i wonder if the Ausy variant is built tougher

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmKIl3RD9U0

Out of interest, check the Patrol....Eina

https://youtu.be/xAull_5GmGI
    Attached Images Attached Images

What have I misread?
    The vehicles were not supplied by the manufacturers, but procured directly by Global NCAP, as stated. The whole point of this is to test vehicles that are not subjected to NCAP testing by the manufacturers, as it is not a requirement for sale in those markets.

Quote Originally Posted by SAND View Post
    Why do you say that it looks like a scam?
    It compels OEMs to submit their products for testing so that the cars can get stars.
    Safety stars then become a marketing tool to sell more cars.
    If some manufacturers' cars have stars and others don't have their cars tested, the latter's cars will be regarded as unsafe because they don't have stars..
    Obviously then, all cars must be tested and who benefits? Global NCAP of course. Do you think that they do this for nothing?
    There is no legislation that forces OEMs to have their products tested.

Not all aspects of safety undergo testing, only those that Global NCAP choose to do, mainly collision; for instance they don't test the protection that exists should a car overturn.
    They only test the results of an impact.
    Safety of a car also includes roadholding, grip, braking performance and a host of other factors that are not tested and consequently don't earn stars.

The maximum stars that a car can be awarded is five. So all five star cars are as safe as each other - Nonsense!

I'm not saying that there should not be some sort of safety rating but it must not become a marketing tool and I think that this is and therefore it is a scam.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast