Axle question.

Thread: Axle question.

Default Axle question.

I know I will get flak for this question.If you have an axle that is 40mm diameter made of I suspect EN8 steel and it is extended a bit longer.
    The stub axle is welded on and is made of 60mm and slides over the 40mm shaft by about 30mm. It is then welded on.
    If one had to cross drill this shaft to pin the stub to the axle using an 8mm dowel. Would it strengthen the stub or create a weak point. ?

I ask this because I understand en 8 has carbon in it and is not ideal for welding.
    This was welded on by pre heating and then tigging it on using stainless rods but I am no welder.
    It is for a small trailer rated at 750kg.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	axlee.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	73.0 KB 
ID:	508016
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Default Re: Axle question.

Do you want to shorten the axle?

I would just cut it off, remove the 40mm piece in the 60mm tube, cut to size and re weld.
    Drilling and fitting a rawl pin I think will be weakening it

Toyota Land Cruiser 79 DC V8
    Toyota Hilux 2.8 GD6 4x4
    Toyota RAV-4 2.2 D4D

I know what I would have done. Do like Chris said in the post above. I would preheat and weld with Low Hydrogen rod.
    But then I am no welding expert.
    It is not what you buy its what you build.

Quote Originally Posted by plunger View Post
    I know I will get flak for this question.If you have an axle that is 40mm diameter made of I suspect EN8 steel and it is extended a bit longer.
    The stub axle is welded on and is made of 60mm and slides over the 40mm shaft by about 30mm. It is then welded on.
    If one had to cross drill this shaft to pin the stub to the axle using an 8mm dowel. Would it strengthen the stub or create a weak point. ?

I ask this because I understand en 8 has carbon in it and is not ideal for welding.
    This was welded on by pre heating and then tigging it on using stainless rods but I am no welder.
    It is for a small trailer rated at 750kg.
    Is there some play between the 40φ axle and 60φ ‘pipe’ (not a tight fit)?

Quote Originally Posted by Learnercamper View Post
    Is there some play between the 40φ axle and 60φ ‘pipe’ (not a tight fit)?
    The history behind this is I bought the trailer at an auction. Only when I got home did I realize the stub axle was bent. I machined a new stub axle myself but my lathe is to small to put the axle shaft in the spindle.
    I wanted to heat shrink the 60mm stub axle I made onto the 40mm shaft.

But because I couldnt do it myself I took it to an engineering shop with the instructions to just clean up the shaft. All they had to do was take off the scale. But I suspect they set it up on a steady rest but because the scale is not round the shaft was machined slightly oval. They should have set it up on a steady rest ,clocked it in as best as possible,center drilled and then used a live center . Then it would come out perfectly.

So the story is I couldnt get it to be a shrink fit and now rely on the welding to get it to be secure. But it is still a very close fit .But oval.
    I also couldnt run a bead the whole way round because as you can see in the pic the spring locating plate is in the way.
    Thats why I ask if I drilled a cross hole through and put in a grade eight bolt would it weaken it.

This trailer is unlikely to do more than 300km at a time and may be used twice a year for holidays carrying less than 700kgs. Its just the other thread of broken axles that made me worry about it. I have alot of work in this trailer so if its not a problem obviously I would like to just leave it as is.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	axle bent.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	389.7 KB 
ID:	508067

Quote Originally Posted by plunger View Post
    The history behind this is I bought the trailer at an auction. Only when I got home did I realize the stub axle was bent. I machined a new stub axle myself but my lathe is to small to put the axle shaft in the spindle.
    I wanted to heat shrink the 60mm stub axle I made onto the 40mm shaft.

But because I couldnt do it myself I took it to an engineering shop with the instructions to just clean up the shaft. All they had to do was take off the scale. But I suspect they set it up on a steady rest but because the scale is not round the shaft was machined slightly oval. They should have set it up on a steady rest ,clocked it in as best as possible,center drilled and then used a live center . Then it would come out perfectly.

So the story is I couldnt get it to be a shrink fit and now rely on the welding to get it to be secure. But it is still a very close fit .But oval.
    I also couldnt run a bead the whole way round because as you can see in the pic the spring locating plate is in the way.
    Thats why I ask if I drilled a cross hole through and put in a grade eight bolt would it weaken it.

This trailer is unlikely to do more than 300km at a time and may be used twice a year for holidays carrying less than 700kgs. Its just the other thread of broken axles that made me worry about it. I have alot of work in this trailer so if its not a problem obviously I would like to just leave it as is.
    If this is the case (not a tight fit) then beyond the weld, that 30mm long piece of 40φ axle has stopped doing any work so drilling through it will do no harm to the 40φ part.
    However, the 60φ stub will have it’s highest stresses in the top and bottom zones so drilling a vertical hole will weaken the stub pipe. Drilling a horizontal hole and inserting a pin will create an internal see-saw and probably just end up doing more harm than good once wear comes into play. The pin may help stop the wheel from falling off once the weld fails, that’s about it. I would not drill through.
    You saw Lazyboy’s axle failure, be very careful of that weld whatever route you choose. If you want to try and strengthen anything, I believe you’ll get far more benefit welding on external stiffener gussets/‘fins’.
    Pity you couldn’t have extended the axle initially by cutting it in the middle, the axle stresses are at their lowest between the leaf springs.
    Good luck!

My thinking is that Burquip is not too far away (They have a depot in westmead) and then you will know it is right and won't fall off the trailer and kill someone. From dipping my axle in the water too often, i no longer take any chances with axels, greasing and trailer tires and bearing, but yours seems like a very occasional use trailer.

What about gumtree and the breakers yards if you want to keep the costs down?

New 900kg axle is now on special for R1000 at http://sleepwaparte.co.za/

Then it's complete with new hubs and new bearings... So is it worth it to try and modify an axle ??
    Last edited by SinWolf; 2018/11/05 at 09:11 AM.

2017 Mitsubishi Triton 2.4 D/C 4X4 6 Auto Diesel
    Lynx Bashplate
    DIY Drawer system
    DIY Drop Fridge Slide

As SinWolf said, buy new one, don't take chances, not worth it.