Best use of solar

Default Best use of solar

Its such a diverse subject.I am seriously technically challenged with this stuff.
    I have a client who is building a new house. The bylaws require him to have an alternate means to heat his water by roughly 50 %.
    He has opted for pv to do this.Most pv solar heaters use three to four panels if I understand correctly.

But he will put twelve panels on his roof.What can he do with the excess power he creates.He also has a pool. I am curious if he could not run his pool pump. I guess its a .75kw pool pump.

Default Re: Best use of solar

Grid tie & reduce the electrical bill, technically running everything in the house from solar during the day when there is demand or partial solar if the demand is higher.
    2004 Ranger 4000 V6 Auto (Weekender & Heavy loads)
    2011 BMW X1 Auto (My Mommy-Wagon)
    2011 CashCow 1.6 (Swambo)

Quote Originally Posted by plunger View Post
    Its such a diverse subject.I am seriously technically challenged with this stuff.
    I have a client who is building a new house. The bylaws require him to have an alternate means to heat his water by roughly 50 %.
    He has opted for pv to do this.Most pv solar heaters use three to four panels if I understand correctly.

But he will put twelve panels on his roof.What can he do with the excess power he creates.He also has a pool. I am curious if he could not run his pool pump. I guess its a .75kw pool pump.
    Is this the house near to me.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    A V6 and an inline 4

The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    Is this the house near to me.
    Yes it is

Quote Originally Posted by plunger View Post
    Yes it is
    Cool, I would like to meet with the owner to see what he's doing.

Just for info I am a Director on the Board responsible for Infrastructure Development of that Estate.

I may just know somebody who know's somebody and a thing or two about the subject.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    A V6 and an inline 4

The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....

With GTI you limited a little bit.
    I would go Hybrid for new installation, then you have much more options from a single device.

2007 Nissan Navara 4L Auto - Worshond

Quote Originally Posted by Kamakazi View Post
    Grid tie & reduce the electrical bill, technically running everything in the house from solar during the day when there is demand or partial solar if the demand is higher.
    This particular subject can get real complicated and messy real quick.

The requirement for 50% of water heating being by a means other than electrical means, has some weird consequences and can be interpreted differently by different building inspectors and town planning. The wording really should be 50% energy saving.

A heat pump clearly meets the 50% energy saving but not the electrical critera, but is widely accepted as meeting the requirement.

Obviously thermal Solar also meets the requirement - or does it. Depending on you situation it may not. Hot water consumption is at its highest when the sun doesn't shine.

PV Solar water heating is just an electrical geyser with the electricity supplied from an alternative source. - Also usually accepted by the authorities.

Now what about PV Solar with a grid tied inverter and normal geyser. The PV is producing power during the day when it isn't heating water. The PV really isn't contributing much to the Geyser equation. But it is saving energy. I have yet to see this tested as an acceptable method of meeting the requirement. Practically one might need a rational design done by a suitable qualified person to prove a savings of 50%.

My system has grid-tied PV Solar with net metering (I sell my spare energy back to the grid) and Heat pumps.

------------------------

I would suggest given the amount of panels we are talking about here that your customer looks at doing the same. He will be allowed to sell back his spare energy during the day and claim it back at night when he needs it.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    A V6 and an inline 4

Quote Originally Posted by Wetkit View Post
    With GTI you limited a little bit.
    I would go Hybrid for new installation, then you have much more options from a single device.
    I think the intention here is GTI as a connection method rather than technology. Grid-tie can be either with a stand alone PV Inverter or a Hybrid, makes no difference. Because he is allowed to feed back and get credits for it, a battery supported system is a waste of money unless you only want it for backup.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    A V6 and an inline 4

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    I think the intention here is GTI as a connection method rather than technology. Grid-tie can be either with a stand alone PV Inverter or a Hybrid, makes no difference. Because he is allowed to feed back and get credits for it, a battery supported system is a waste of money unless you only want it for backup.
    The roof of my house is ideally directed for installing a solar solution. Have been pondering the idea for some time but I'm too tech stupid for it. My geyser has some sort of solar setup with a controller where I can select when I force the use of electricity (if that makes sense). Following this with interest.
    Gerrit Laubscher

Angola sempre

Quote Originally Posted by lirritma View Post
    The roof of my house is ideally directed for installing a solar solution. Have been pondering the idea for some time but I'm too tech stupid for it. My geyser has some sort of solar setup with a controller where I can select when I force the use of electricity (if that makes sense). Following this with interest.
    You just about took the words out of my mouth!
    Also following this thread with interest.
    I think my start is going to be the installation of a 'Geyserwise' controller & see how much I save, as we don't use much hot water after sundown.
    Your mind is your strongest weapon.
    Then there's.....POWER TOOLS!
    '94 LC 80 GX
    '00 Frontier 280DT 4X2
    2002 Sprite Surfer Nomad

Quote Originally Posted by steamer View Post
    You just about took the words out of my mouth!
    Also following this thread with interest.
    I think my start is going to be the installation of a 'Geyserwise' controller & see how much I save, as we don't use much hot water after sundown.
    Me too!
    Keep us posted on your progress!

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Mackay View Post
    Me too!
    Keep us posted on your progress!
    After monitoring my total power consumption my power used during the night was 7-9units. My merely switching of my 2 geysers when I go to sleep the load reduced to 4.5 units. During the cold front week ago I could even see more power being used during the night when I left them on. I do record about 6 readings during the day. With my digital power meter I could also see that the heat pump is using less than half the power to heat the water than using an element. The element is faster for the same size and heating the same temp change.