School me in clutch opperation please.

Default School me in clutch opperation please.

I climbed under the Land Cruiser (HzJ76) to have a bit of o poke around and was very surprised to see that the slave actually put some positive pressure on the fork
    This would mean that the bearing is always slightly up against the clutch, spinning away to the revs of the engine?? In some of my older vehicles (one of them a Toyota) there was always a spring on the slave pulling the fork and therefore bearing, AWAY from the clutch.
    Are "modern" clutch bearings designed to ride on the clutch? I guess so, because I notice that there is no adjustment at all.
    Or is there some internal trickery which I canít see, which keeps the bearing off the clutch??

Put me out of my misery please.

Default Re: School me in clutch opperation please.

Land Cruiser adjustment is on the clutch pedal and not on the slave. Not sure what the free play on the 4.2 must be.
    Might be worth wile to check your clutch to OEM specs
    It is not what you buy its what you build.

Ok, I will have to take a look, but there is still a spring inside the slave which will put a little pressure on the fork/ pressure plate? I'm not saying that it's wrong, just curious as the whether the the bearing has constant contact with the spinning clutch or not.

I have done only a few clutch replacements in my life. This is how I remember the release bearing. It always touches (the ones I can remember).

Does some of them pull further away from the diaphragm springs, not to have contact with the pressure plate ?

Kobus

HDJ81 VX

I am not sure Kubus, on the ones that pulled away, there was adjustment on the slave rod. Either way it seems as if a gentle pressure on to the plate is the norm, so Iíll go with it