Mixtech or AGM Battery

Default Mixtech or AGM Battery

I've tried to figure out exactly which battery is preferable in a camping trailer, but the more I read and ask around, the more (different) opinions I get. So now I want to ask people with wisdom and/or personal experience... I want to buy a 100 or 105a/h battery for my 4x4 trailer. Some trailer manufacturers tell me that they only use the Mixtech 105a/h battery from Discover (at R2,500). But other say AGM is better, but obviously more expensive. 4x4 Direct has a 100 a/h AGM G+ Gel Electrolyte Deep Cycle Battery for about the same price.
    Anyone with experience, please advice.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Wysmydieson For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Mixtech or AGM Battery

We tend to over analyze these things. Generally just about any battery will be fine for an occasional weekender as long as the entire system is solid.

More batteries die from abuse, rather than old age, so in that sense often the cheap and cheerful batteries are a better choice.

One thing to look out for if the battery is in a trailer is that it should be a low maintenance sealed battery. VLRA or Gel types preferably. This is so that it can withstand shock and vibration and weird angles, and also not release gasses when charging.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    A V6 and an inline 4

The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Fluffy For This Useful Post:

I was in a similar dilemma. I had the standard flood cell deep cycle battery that came with my Bush Lapa, and they weren't holding a charge anymore after 2 yrs of sitting and 3 yrs of heavy use.

While they were 'sealed' batteries, they did have a vent, and that vent put off gasses when charging. It drove me nuts. I've since purchased 2 AGM batteries for my caravan. Decided on AGM as they're truly maintenance free batteries, don't give off any gas while charging and typically do better off-road.
    David Killough
    2016 Landcruiser 200 GX-R
    1995 Landcruiser (UK Spec) SOLD
    Bushlapa Miskruier 321
    www.killoughfamily.com

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Climbingnut For This Useful Post:

Thank you Climbingnut. That is really helpful as the battery in the Afrispoor Eezy-camper actually sits under the floor panel inside the tent. I think I'll go for the AGM Gel battery then.

Quote Originally Posted by Wysmydieson View Post
    Thank you Climbingnut. That is really helpful as the battery in the Afrispoor Eezy-camper actually sits under the floor panel inside the tent. I think I'll go for the AGM Gel battery then.
    That's where my 2 batteries sit as well. The fumes from charging flooded cell batteries are hazardous to ones health. No point in messing around with that.
    David Killough
    2016 Landcruiser 200 GX-R
    1995 Landcruiser (UK Spec) SOLD
    Bushlapa Miskruier 321
    www.killoughfamily.com