Daydream/Planning ahead, 3 years. - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Daydream/Planning ahead, 3 years.

I fail to see the relevance of much of your statement mvcoller.

Quote Originally Posted by mvcoller View Post
    That is the modern version of the test, updated to suit the modern requirements according to the latest Europe safety legislation! (SA has gone and adopted the new NCAP test without thinking further than their noses). In Africa we drive cars until they are 30 and 40 years old. In Europe cars are a lot younger. Wehave some older vehicles (Toyota Hilux SFA bakkies, Nissan bakkies, Cortinas,Escourts, Mercs, Corollas, Citi Golfs and even BMWs) that never even saw a NCAP test!!!

I’m sure they updated the tests because, for instance, they realized steering columns causes fatalities, thus changing the standards cars are manufactured to in order to make it safer... Not to make older cars look bad but to indicate what cars are safer than others. I’m also pretty sure there are quite a lot of newer model vehicles on our African roads, what safety standard would you suggest we use to determine their safety? You can't compare vehicles with each other if you don't use the same set of rules/tests.

You must look at the NCAP test data of the time the Hardbody and subsequent NP300 of the time of manufacture.

I missed the part where they mentioned that they used an ‘old’ vehicle in the tests. I assumed it would be one that came off the production line and thus found it relevant since the original post was talking of being able to spend the current equivalent of R14k a month in a couple of years’ time, not an amount I would expect anyone to pay for an ‘old’ car in the vehicle segment currently under discussion.

Also, I’m not very up to date with the differences between the NP300 and the ‘Hardbody’ models since I’ve never been a big enough fan of theirs to do further research about them, but I always assumed them to be the same basic vehicle with extra features on the Hardbody. I thus also assumed they would be fitted with the same steering column, one of the major concerns in the article according to me. Admittedly, one of the features that would help the Hardbody get a score better than that of the more basic NP300, in these tests, would be more airbags.

You surely do not think Nissan went and took a 30 year old design and deliberately took out parts and panels to the extent that it would fail the NCAP test?

Surely not no, who said that it was intentional? I would have thought that to be common sense... What it does tell me is that the standard NP300, as it’s currently manufactured and sold, is the one that scores 0 stars.

So, if a “30 year old design” wants to compete with a newer design (not only regarding safety) it should at least have evolved to stay in touch with the competition. Since the Hardbody was mentioned and it needs to be compared with all other options available (not necessarily what I think may or may not be the best), the article is definitely relevant for comparative and informative value. Well, so I thought anyway...
    2009 Triton 2.5 DiD - Mine
    Homebuilt aluminum canopy (using ideas from the forum)
    265/70/16 A/T

Quote Originally Posted by GerhardHG View Post
    I fail to see the relevance of much of your statement mvcoller.

I’m sure they updated the tests because, for instance, they realized steering columns causes fatalities, thus changing the standards cars are manufactured to in order to make it safer... Not to make older cars look bad but to indicate what cars are safer than others. I’m also pretty sure there are quite a lot of newer model vehicles on our African roads, what safety standard would you suggest we use to determine their safety? You can't compare vehicles with each other if you don't use the same set of rules/tests.

I missed the part where they mentioned that they used an ‘old’ vehicle in the tests. I assumed it would be one that came off the production line and thus found it relevant since the original post was talking of being able to spend the current equivalent of R14k a month in a couple of years’ time, not an amount I would expect anyone to pay for an ‘old’ car in the vehicle segment currently under discussion.

Also, I’m not very up to date with the differences between the NP300 and the ‘Hardbody’ models since I’ve never been a big enough fan of theirs to do further research about them, but I always assumed them to be the same basic vehicle with extra features on the Hardbody. I thus also assumed they would be fitted with the same steering column, one of the major concerns in the article according to me. Admittedly, one of the features that would help the Hardbody get a score better than that of the more basic NP300, in these tests, would be more airbags.

Surely not no, who said that it was intentional? I would have thought that to be common sense... What it does tell me is that the standard NP300, as it’s currently manufactured and sold, is the one that scores 0 stars.

So, if a “30 year old design” wants to compete with a newer design (not only regarding safety) it should at least have evolved to stay in touch with the competition. Since the Hardbody was mentioned and it needs to be compared with all other options available (not necessarily what I think may or may not be the best), the article is definitely relevant for comparative and informative value. Well, so I thought anyway...
    I agree with the above , Nissan need to sort this issue out , otherwise I think they will lose many potential buyers . For me the low NCAP would definitely be a deciding factor if buying a new or even 2nd hand DC.

Nissan/Renault are usually very good on NCAP rating , often ahead of other manufacturers.

The new Navara has a good rating:

https://www.euroncap.com/en/results/nissan/navara/22037

It's one of those issues where people should vote with their feet , until Nissan get the message and upgrade the NP300.

Also to remember when you live on a remote place like Pella is dealer network. Not nice to have dealers a more than 250km from you.
    It is not what you buy its what you build.

I have a Y61 2008 3.0 TDi (not the CRD) the best I got when towing and running 4 up with luggage, roof rack and a RTT, was just over 12 lt per 100 km at about 100 to 105 kph (I don't like driving faster than 100 kph when towing the unbraked trailer). I only use it when taking customers on Safari, so I have not taken it out too often since the mods.

This was after fitting a 76 mm exhaust system, a bigger front mounted intercooler (twice as big) and had a chip fitted (with a Madmad EGT gauge to keep an eye on things).

Just normal driving I am sure I will get 10 lt per 100km at around 110 to 120 kph.
    That is better than what I am getting from the 2. 4. Now I am browsing the for sales looking at Patrols, I don't think anything else will satisfy the itc that is now starting.
    I think I will. Nurse that itch for a while though.

Regarding the Ncap melarkey, it is not really relevant in my case, I bought my NP300 / Hardbody (same thing) to do a bit of 4x4 driving on the farm, I doubt it will see much tar apart from the yearly service, and I haven't had it over 80km/ hour, or meet more than 10 vehicles on the road after driving it home from the dealer. I think I stopped and chatted to most of the drivers I met on the road.

What would be more relevant is how would the ZA Pathfinder fare in a Euro Ncap test.

Quote Originally Posted by grips View Post
    Also to remember when you live on a remote place like Pella is dealer network. Not nice to have dealers a more than 250km from you.
    That is the problem with the Forester, and the fact that it is too small. The fortuner is too small for my wife, kids and their weekly commute, that why I got the Pathfinder.
    Also, the Upington Nissan dealership gives good service.

Quote Originally Posted by Bex View Post

What would be more relevant is how would the ZA Pathfinder fare in a Euro Ncap test.
    Our current Patrol is the 2005/6 model.

It had an ANCAP rating of 4. Euro NCAP report: https://www.euroncap.com/en/results/...thfinder/15707

Ok, but is the ZA one the same as the one they tested?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2