VW TSI Amarok Issue

Default VW TSI Amarok Issue

Howzit guys Im new to the forum and in need of some help. Im having issue with my Amarok Petrol Bakkie and ooking for a recommendation to take my vehicle to be checked out. I have had the engine light on for the past 3 months now also taken it to 3 different places and still no one can help already on about R14000 spent. It's a 2.0 TSI amarok 2011 motor. I had the PCV value done had the coils done had 2 sets of spark plugs changed and o2 sensor and battery but still showing faults and rough idling misfires and when I accelerate feels like it's being blocked. Car also will start and them immediately cut out will only stay on if I rev it over 3000rpm for a while then alot of houghing and puffing when I do that. Black smoke also. The fault errors always show running rich and miss fire and cylinder 1 and 3 any help will be great I cant a afford to spend more money with no answers. Took it to Steves Auto Clinic but felt like I was getting ripped off so left. I'm based in Cape town.
    Thanks for your time hope someone will be able to give some advise or help☺

Default Re: VW TSI Amarok Issue

1) get a compression test done.
    2) if the compression is good - try and find a set of injectors. They are a common failure on those engines.
    3) make sure the lifter under the HPFP is Ok. They commonly eat that lifter and the cam up.

it will also be helpfull if you can say what the codes are or is it always only the run rich and missfire 1,3?.

Has anybody
    1) checked fuel pressure for specified vs actual
    2) logged boost - specified vs actual
    3) checked that the MAF readings are reasonable?.

DO you know what kind of actual diagnosis was done other than randomly changing some parts?
    Audi S6 2008 - v10 Quattro
    Audi A6 Avant - 2005 - 3l TDi Quattro
    Audi Q5 - 2009 - 3l TDI Qauttro
    Audi 90 Coupe - 1995 - 2.8l V6 quattro
    VW Touareg - 2005 - V10 TDi Awd
    VW Passat CC - 2013 - 2l TDi bluemotion(repair project)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Stephan van Tonder For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Stephan van Tonder View Post
    1) get a compression test done.
    2) if the compression is good - try and find a set of injectors. They are a common failure on those engines.
    3) make sure the lifter under the HPFP is Ok. They commonly eat that lifter and the cam up.

it will also be helpfull if you can say what the codes are or is it always only the run rich and missfire 1,3?.

Has anybody
    1) checked fuel pressure for specified vs actual
    2) logged boost - specified vs actual
    3) checked that the MAF readings are reasonable?.

DO you know what kind of actual diagnosis was done other than randomly changing some parts?

Morning Stephan thanks for the feedback, yes all the errors are coming through as to rich or too lean and mis fire on cylinder 1 and 3 dont know the actual code numbers. The first place i took it too they cleaned the injector and they couldn't find a fault they did mentioned cylinder 3 Injector was pretty dirty. It ran well for 2 days after that. I haven't had a pressure test done just pretty much everyone plugging in the computer to see and clear the errors. Steve's Auto suggested i remove the CAT and remap the vehicle but was put off when i got a verbal quote for R8000 and later the mailed a quote and it changed to R12900. Do you know of anyone in Cape Town you would recommend? Lastly a mechanic also mentioned that this motor is a direct fuel supply and its not likely the injectors so i really dont know. All three place i ave taken it too cant find the problem. Sorry i said the O2 sensor was replace it wasnt that that one is fine i had the MAF sensor replaced. Im currently driving without the MAF sensor connected and the vehicle seems to be going almost normal but that only lasts a few days then i need to plug it back in for a few days and again unplug. Wonder if it could be a faulty computer box
    Last edited by Jkent; 2018/10/31 at 09:19 AM.

My recommendation:

Go speak to Deon @ Goch & Cooper in Brackenfell
    Always think: Could this be sarcasm?

I would suggest http://ferroli.co.za/ - excellent independent.
    2013 Amarok d/c TDI 103kW 4motion

Quote Originally Posted by Jkent View Post
    Morning Stephan thanks for the feedback, yes all the errors are coming through as to rich or too lean and mis fire on cylinder 1 and 3 dont know the actual code numbers. The first place i took it too they cleaned the injector and they couldn't find a fault they did mentioned cylinder 3 Injector was pretty dirty. It ran well for 2 days after that. I haven't had a pressure test done just pretty much everyone plugging in the computer to see and clear the errors. Steve's Auto suggested i remove the CAT and remap the vehicle but was put off when i got a verbal quote for R8000 and later the mailed a quote and it changed to R12900. Do you know of anyone in Cape Town you would recommend? Lastly a mechanic also mentioned that this motor is a direct fuel supply and its not likely the injectors so i really dont know. All three place i ave taken it too cant find the problem
    The engine is called TFSI(turbo fuel stratified injection) or also known as direct injection.
    It still uses an injector except they are now sitting with their faces in the combustion chamber instead of in the intake manifold.
    These have super fine tolerances and are much more prone to failure than old style port injectors.
    These injectors are fired with around 220v and very few if any places can actually test them as you have to supply around 100 bar pressure and have a powerfull enough driver to open them.
    The place that says they cleaned them maybe just had it in a sonic bath for a bit and if that did improve the situation I suggest you find or get a good or new set and take it from there.
    I know very few places in the cape but you can also try KSD in stikland(kosie swanepoel developments)
    You can check up on the pressures in the system by plugging it into a proper diagnostic setup and there are measuring blocks that will show you what the pressures are as there are sensors that report that to the management system.

Cat removal and remap at R12900 amounts to theft and I am glad you walked away there. There is NO way that you should be remapping a vehicle that clearly has a mechanical fault and it will never fix the problem - it will most likely only break your motor.

Oh and the reason why my first item on first post was get a compression test done - these have a habit of breaking the piston ring landings. They then start consuming oil and will have a missfire.
    So that still applies as the very first thing you should get done...
    Last edited by Stephan van Tonder; 2018/10/31 at 09:12 AM.

Sorry i said the O2 sensor was replace it wasnt that that one is fine i had the MAF sensor replaced. Im currently driving without the MAF sensor connected and the vehicle seems to be going almost normal but that only lasts a few days then i need to plug it back in for a few days and again unplug. Wonder if it could be a faulty computer box

Map sensor unplugged makes it use a different set of parameters for doing the fuelling. If there is no boost or if a boost pipe has popped off that often amkes that you can at least drive it. You sure there is boost?.

again
    A) get a compression test done
    b) swop the injectors

if that does not show or solve the issue then sure one can start looking at management.
    Last edited by Stephan van Tonder; 2018/10/31 at 09:36 AM.

Thanks Stephan will do the pressure test and injectors and take it from there thanks for the help. I have alot more info that before at least feels like i might get some where ☺

Not impossible that the timing chain jumped a tooth due to chain tensioner issues. In worst case scenario it causes major issues but sometimes if you lucky it just jumps a little and puts the timing out, worth a look
    Darryn Van Rooyen
    2014 D/C Amarok 4Motion H/L Auto - 76mm Decat Downpipe and Revo Stage 1 Tune
    Current: 1987 Citi Sport 1.6

Then it would have shown a cam correlation error as one of the faults.
    the management shows that immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephan van Tonder View Post
    Then it would have shown a cam correlation error as one of the faults.
    the management shows that immediately.
    He mentions an engine light showing and I know guys who had cam chain issues on the 2.0tsi where there was an error that came up when it occurred. I am guessing the guys he took it to for diagnoses perhaps did not do a proper scan I could be wrong.
    Darryn Van Rooyen

Greetings. Did someone maybe investigate carbon buildup on the valves. When I did some research on the vw engines some of the smaller tsi engine was prone to massive carbon buildup. This required cylinder head removal in order for the valves to be cleaned. I might be wrong on the 2.0 tsi. Good luck.
    Toyota Hilux 1990, D/C, SFA, 4x4
    Jeep Cherokee, 3.7L, 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by chris5 View Post
    Greetings. Did someone maybe investigate carbon buildup on the valves. When I did some research on the vw engines some of the smaller tsi engine was prone to massive carbon buildup. This required cylinder head removal in order for the valves to be cleaned. I might be wrong on the 2.0 tsi. Good luck.
    Most direct injection motors suffer these issues...so everything from GTI's to BMW 135/335i to B7 RS4's to Audi R8 V8's etc etc, not sure it would cause the issues being experienced here unless its really bad
    Darryn Van Rooyen

The effect of carbon buildup is usually hugely exxagerated by the people that own the equipment to clean it. I have seen cars on over 200k km with massive build up still running happily. I chucked it on the dyno, had it cleaned and it gained a massive 2hp afterwards.
    It is very unlikely to be the issue here.