Bluff Tyres used an airgun on my nuts - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: Bluff Tyres used an airgun on my nuts

I thought that air guns had a torque setting so that it was not exceeded but i guess if the person is lazy they will use the same torque settings for all vehicles. In Britain the way they try and get around it is for you sign a disclaimer stating that the wheels need to be re-torqued within 100 kilometres. Unfortunately Consumer Law or rides their disclaimers and T & Cs.
    We have breakdown cover similar to the AA and on 3 or more occasions over the years none have used a torque wrench when changing the wheel on the car or the caravan. They simply use brute strength!
    2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Summit CRD chased by a 2018 Buccaneer Cruiser twin axle caravan.

Glad to hear that the dealer has taken the matter seriously. Although a bit verbal, the above video tells us a few truths.

1. The wheel nuts and studs are seriously over designed.
    2. Within normal tightening forces, lubricating the threads will not damage anything, and will make it a whole lot easier to remove later.
    3. The nominal tightening torque for wheel nuts is 100Nm, but check your manual first. If you have a torque wrench, great-use it. If not, understand the numbers-100Nm means a load of about 10kg applied at a distance of 1m from the centre of the nut. Most supplied wheel spanners are only about 400mm long, so applying the same torque would require a load on the end of 25kg. If you are having to jump on it to loosen them (say 80kg upwards) they are way too tight.
    4. You cannot eye ball whether a bolt has been pulled beyond the yield point unless it has failed plastically-ie, visual stretching, narrowing of the diameter or clean break. So safety says either have them physically tested (a bit of a shlep) or replace them if you know they have been abused.

Some of the alloy rim designs have the nut incorporating a locating collar which can sit VERY tight in the rim. I have personal experience with a hired Prado when we could undo any of the nuts at all with the wheel spanner, and ever since I have lubricated both the threads and collars with Copper Slip. I also carry an extendable power bar.

As with personal supervision of how my tank if filled, I take a serious interest in how my wheel nuts are tightened. They can both ruin a holiday.

Best of luck with the new studs.

Where on the West Rand can one have a torque wrench tested? Thanx

Quote Originally Posted by warrenpfo View Post
    Lol as per post #19 all is sorted thank you.

I am however fascinated as to how a thread can get derailed so easily and the entertainment value it brings.
    omrede die gebruikers nie die hele tread lees nie.
    net die eerste reel, en dan vining wil inspring om kommentaar te lewer.

die ander gebruiker voel seker gat oor sy raad, lank Nadat jy uitgewys het dat alles gesort is.

die 4x4 forum is noe die eertse een was gebruikers nie kan lees nie.

nou wonder ek hoe ons almal deur die skool is.

selfs my dogter my uitgewys oor haar wiskunde vraestel….pa daars 2x vrae, vir 4 punte, maar kinders lees nie die vrae nie.

so nou wonder ek maar net...

The thread wears out due to some mystery. The agents won't admit the reason. When this is tightened by hand it can shear/snap.
    I have replaced about 5 wheel bolts due to this.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Robinh View Post
    The thread wears out due to some mystery. The agents won't admit the reason. When this is tightened by hand it can shear/snap.
    I have replaced about 5 wheel bolts due to this.
    The thread in the picture (at the arrow) is not worn out. It does not even engage with the thread on the hub....but

The condition pointed out is called "necking" due to the bolt being stretched way beyond the elastic limit. The area on the bolt which is just outside the hole stretches and eventually looks like a coke bottle, just before is snaps off.
    2004 Defender 110 Td5

The simplist way is to put all the bolts on a flat table standing up - the bolts that are longer than the others are the dangerous ones - they are the stretched ones.

The hard part is to determine the original length as it's possible all the bolts on that wheel could be stretched already.

Quote Originally Posted by Sawdust View Post
    The thread in the picture (at the arrow) is not worn out. It does not even engage with the thread on the hub....but

The condition pointed out is called "necking" due to the bolt being stretched way beyond the elastic limit. The area on the bolt which is just outside the hole stretches and eventually looks like a coke bottle, just before is snaps off.

dis korrek.
    baie mooi gestel daar…….net voor hy snap, lyk hy so

Quote Originally Posted by Johan Slabbert View Post
    Most likely all the studs are now stretched past the yield point and are a ticking time bomb.

The place should apologise, make amends and prevent the same from happening ever again.

Here's a useful video that touches on the subject in depth:

Nice video, although I’m still skeptical to use lube I don’t think Copper anti seize would hurt. I use it on my spark plugs.

But I think I’ll be investing in a breaker bar. Good thing to have for loosening.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3