Future of electric vehicles?

Default Future of electric vehicles?

Wow this sounds to good to be true, but I really hope this is for real. Thinking beyond batteries, this sounds very promising.

https://www.wheels24.co.za/News/Gear...-that-20181030

https://www.electriq.com/

https://www.timesofisrael.com/austra...tric-vehicles/
    Last edited by staalwol; 2018/10/31 at 10:23 AM.
    "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts" : Bertrand Russell

2014 Nissan Navara 2.5 4x2
    1995 Nissan Sani 3.0 V6 4x4

2. The Following User Says Thank You to staalwol For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Future of electric vehicles?

I am open to an Electric vehicles. Especially now that you can charge them like a cellphone. I see NISSAN offers a free charge at their speed chargers. It charge 80% in 30min..... I spend that time at a filling station
    Sent from my iPhone

Full torque available right through the rev range.

That would be amazing!
    Always think: Could this be sarcasm?

What is one of the most common things on our planet?
    H2O

You find a good way to get the 2 parts Hydrogen out then you have a nice piece to create Hydrogen fuel cell system

The bad part is the emission's that consists of this evil thing called H2O

Personally in my opinion if we have a easy cost effective way to use the Hydrogen in water then it would be the fuel of the future

Nice and clean
    And there is lots arround
    2007 Subaru Forester 2.5XT
    Forester nutter here so watch out

Please remember that I think I'm funny
    (most people don't agree)
    thus take 90% of what I post with 2 pinches of salt

How much hydrogen is in sea water? if that could combined in the fuel cell we will be set for a while

Riku
    2002 Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2 LWB GLS - Hankook Dynapro M/T, AOP Roofrack, Stofpad spacers
    2011 Echo4 with Blinkgat Nose cone

Quote Originally Posted by zeek View Post
    How much hydrogen is in sea water? if that could combined in the fuel cell we will be set for a while
    Key word Water
    Properly clean water is just H2O
    2 parts Hydrogen atoms 1 part oxygen

So sea water mostly consists of Hydrogen
    Issue is getting it out
    Hydrogen is the most abundant element in the Universe; helium is second.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebel 4x4 View Post
    I am open to an Electric vehicles. Especially now that you can charge them like a cellphone. I see NISSAN offers a free charge at their speed chargers. It charge 80% in 30min..... I spend that time at a filling station
    Same idea if they get efficient way to get Hydrogen out then they remove the standard battery from that and replace with fuel cell
    Top ups will basically be similar to putting in petrol
    And they do it already in Hollywood
    They have Hydrogen filling stations there
    Last edited by Veneficus; 2018/10/31 at 08:10 AM.

I'm not making any comments on this subject until I can verify all the facts in a "You" magazine, or some other trusted publication

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MarcR For This Useful Post:

There is no shortage of hydrogen on our planet. Only problem is that most of it is not as H2 but tied in water, oil... To crack water to H2 and O2 needs a lot of energy. One planned use of PBMR was to produce H2 but then they tried too much by having He based turbine and cutting every corner under the sun on ASME code.

I could not find what chemical is in the new fuel and from where the hydrogen for it is sourced.

Electric cars are coming. What technology will be used is not sure yet. In small distance and high density areas current electric cars are fully usable. It takes time and money to build infrastructure required by those cars. "Simple issue" like charging electric cars by those living in flats is a big issue. Charging stations have to be built and there are always flat owners who do not want or have money to pay for those = BIG fights.
    Jouko
    ----------
    2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7l
    2012 Smart
    Never drive a normal car

From what I understand the input power costs of making the fuel are high. But I think that can be handled with some clever thinking.

I still like the Tesla/Powerwall model of creating your own power at home via solar. Just seems to make sense to produce locally from a passive collection system.

What you do with that power is obviously up to you. IE power your home, electric battery car or mini hydrogen fuel cell.

Busy reading super freakonomics at the moment and its got some very interesting economics based view points on global warming/cooling and the like. I can recommend it.
    2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD Overland - GDE Eco Tune + 2" Lift on 265/70/17 BFG KO2's
    2017 Venter Savuti + Tentco Jnr, Dometic CF50 Fridge + Snomaster Battery Box
    --
    Ex - 2005 Cherokee CRD

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko View Post
    There is no shortage of hydrogen on our planet. Only problem is that most of it is not as H2 but tied in water, oil... To crack water to H2 and O2 needs a lot of energy. One planned use of PBMR was to produce H2 but then they tried too much by having He based turbine and cutting every corner under the sun on ASME code.

I could not find what chemical is in the new fuel and from where the hydrogen for it is sourced.

Electric cars are coming. What technology will be used is not sure yet. In small distance and high density areas current electric cars are fully usable. It takes time and money to build infrastructure required by those cars. "Simple issue" like charging electric cars by those living in flats is a big issue. Charging stations have to be built and there are always flat owners who do not want or have money to pay for those = BIG fights.
    Not really, a company specializing in doing this puts in the infrastructure, installs it in the flats and sells the electricity at a profit to cover costs.

Big problem is what happens when most cars are electric, where does the electricity come from. An average families daily commute probably uses twice as much energy per day than there house does.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    A V6 and an inline 4

The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....

Quote Originally Posted by Quiksilver View Post
    From what I understand the input power costs of making the fuel are high. But I think that can be handled with some clever thinking.

I still like the Tesla/Powerwall model of creating your own power at home via solar. Just seems to make sense to produce locally from a passive collection system.

What you do with that power is obviously up to you. IE power your home, electric battery car or mini hydrogen fuel cell.

Busy reading super freakonomics at the moment and its got some very interesting economics based view points on global warming/cooling and the like. I can recommend it.
    Stephen Dubner, one of the authors, does a brilliant pod cast. If you enjoyed the book give it a listen, called Freakenomics Podcast
    2012 Q7 4.2 TDI
    Birkin SR20VET race car

15. The Following User Says Thank You to mullerza For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    Not really, a company specializing in doing this puts in the infrastructure, installs it in the flats and sells the electricity at a profit to cover costs.

Big problem is what happens when most cars are electric, where does the electricity come from. An average families daily commute probably uses twice as much energy per day than there house does.
    There are country differences on this issue. It is not so simple to install. As you say feed to the buildings is not big enough so either install second feed or change the original. Digging, cost... In cold countries many places have these electric connections to heat up the engine during the night. Too small power and if somebody uses those for slow charge other flat owners complain. It is like living in a complex here. Constant "fights" over small things.

If charge electric vehicles will be used a lot have to change in the electricity distribution network. Network should be made intelligent so cars are used for storage also, feed lines changed... And from where the electricity is coming from? One way would be container based mini nuclear power stations. Unfortunately we have terrorist and tree huggers who do not agree on anything.
    Jouko
    ----------
    2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7l
    2012 Smart
    Never drive a normal car

Something I've always been thinking of when it comes to hydrogen fueled cars, in a very traffic congested city, will the roads get very wet?
    We can't change the wind but we can set our sails

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Francois Theron For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Francois Theron View Post
    Something I've always been thinking of when it comes to hydrogen fueled cars, in a very traffic congested city, will the roads get very wet?
    possible, one also has to try think of what will happen if we dump that much water vapour into the atmosphere. How will that effect climate. Its not a straight forward fact that "oh its water vapour so its harmless"
    2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD Overland - GDE Eco Tune + 2" Lift on 265/70/17 BFG KO2's
    2017 Venter Savuti + Tentco Jnr, Dometic CF50 Fridge + Snomaster Battery Box
    --
    Ex - 2005 Cherokee CRD

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Quiksilver For This Useful Post:

At this stage Eksdom will have to provide elec to charge vehicle
    We already have a water shortage in for example Cape Town, are these vehicles using water not going to cause cities to run out of water?
    CT is close to ocean, but what about say Pretoria, we cannot import sea water for fuel?
    Last edited by julius caesar; 2018/11/01 at 07:02 AM.
    Henk Pretorius D4 3,0 SDV6 HSE
    EX AFRICII SEMPER NOVUS

IMHO Hybrid technology would suite us, or maybe just me, best. Small all electric range (30-50km) for the in-town commute. This will protect my diesel d/c as it doesn't even warm up properly before I get to work.

The diesel part for the long dirt road adventures, with the added instant torque when low range is needed.

The diesel engine and braking regenerates the battery, so no wall plugs needed.

I'd take one tomorrow, after winning the lottery, if it was available.

Quote Originally Posted by Quiksilver View Post
    possible, one also has to try think of what will happen if we dump that much water vapour into the atmosphere. How will that effect climate. Its not a straight forward fact that "oh its water vapour so its harmless"
    Always good to check the effect
    There is already massive amount of studies in place relating to water Vapor release

While we also already dump a wide range of water vapor into our atmosphere these cars would not necessarily have to be a contributor
    Because water vapor is only Vapor when it is hot enough

The car can have a catch tank that catches the vapor together and it then cools it through something like a inter cooler before releasing it outside
    This means the water vapor would have turned into water before it is released

But what about the places that uses large industrial humidifiers in dry areas in our country that drops massive drops of water

Or what about the places that uses dehumidifiers in places like Natal?

Pretty much every air chiller cooling system uses the same idea

So the environmental effects would hardly be a new process
    And things like kettle's would do worse
    While it is controllable with these cars because you can cool the vapor before release

Water vapor is considered the primary greenhouse gas
    But in a case like this there are options to not release it as a gas
    Last edited by Veneficus; 2018/11/02 at 11:30 AM.