Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Default Boating questions

As I have mentioned on Petri's thread about a good all-round boat, I am toying with the idea of getting a boat myself for some weekend family fun in the sun.... couple of questions though, and I am sure with all the vast knowledge on this forum that I will find the answers I'm looking for.

1. CoF and Buoyancy certificates - how regularly does this need to be done and what are the costs involved?

2. Skippers license - At this stage only looking at boating on dams and rivers. Stumbled upon this site where you can do the course online and then do the examination - https://skippercourses.co.za/student/ . Good idea or not? Also, how do you log 25 hours if you don't have a license yet, or do you get something like a learner's license for the interim?

3. Boats - Need to take 6 people comfortably for those sundowner cruises... Also would like to do some skiing and tubing. I really like the Panache range, and I also came across this which looks very nice as well - http://leisuremarine.za.com/product/...status-ref-44/

Fire away guys and gals....
    2019 Ford Everest 3.2 4x4 Limited
    2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 8) (Ex)
    2012 Ford Ranger 3.2 XLT M/T D/C 4x4 (Ex)

Default Re: Boating questions

Quote Originally Posted by Carel.Broekman View Post
    As I have mentioned on Petri's thread about a good all-round boat, I am toying with the idea of getting a boat myself for some weekend family fun in the sun.... couple of questions though, and I am sure with all the vast knowledge on this forum that I will find the answers I'm looking for.

1. CoF and Buoyancy certificates - how regularly does this need to be done and what are the costs involved?

2. Skippers license - At this stage only looking at boating on dams and rivers. Stumbled upon this site where you can do the course online and then do the examination - https://skippercourses.co.za/student/ . Good idea or not? Also, how do you log 25 hours if you don't have a license yet, or do you get something like a learner's license for the interim?

3. Boats - Need to take 6 people comfortably for those sundowner cruises... Also would like to do some skiing and tubing. I really like the Panache range, and I also came across this which looks very nice as well - http://leisuremarine.za.com/product/...status-ref-44/

1. COF every year and buoyancy every five.

2. Do the CAT R for starters, you can get a friend to log/sign your hours but I strongly suggest you get some water time to get a feel for it.

3. How long is a piece of string loads to choose from!!
    FJC - Just Cruising

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dirtshark For This Useful Post:

Its been the the back of my mind too, for the price of a camping trailer one can get a solid boat. Lots of tiger and bass fishing can only be done here in Swazi properly from a boat only because of the crocs.

If only there was a rental option to actually test the hobby out properly before deciding to purchase - as with other "toys"they tend to stand more and gather dust in the driveway after the novelty wears off.

Mr. Karol Joszkowski
    2011 VW Touareg V.8 TDI
    2006 VW Touareg 3.0 TDi air suspension aka Pumba ( sold)
    2003 Pajero IO 2.0 aka Bosvark

Cof annually and buoancy every 5 year IIRC.

2. Skippers license - At this stage only looking at boating on dams and rivers. Stumbled upon this site where you can do the course online and then do the examination - https://skippercourses.co.za/student/ . Good idea or not?
    Don't know them, did my skippers in 2009. As long as you get the SAMSA license, it's fine. HArties also has someone tat does skippers, might be better priced and closer to your place.
    Also, how do you log 25 hours if you don't have a license yet, or do you get something like a learner's license for the interim?
    Invite someone with a skippers for a weekend or so, go fishing and 8 hours a day is quick. 3 days and you're there.

Looks lovely, check the engine for hours, these big ones usually have that. As long as they service it before you take it, you should be ok. I would as them to take it to a dam to test drive. If it runs nicely to near full revs, I would feel better. (bought two boats over internet, not test driving before.) Also he needs to give 6 months or so warranty.

2016 Ford Ranger 3.2 Wildtrak 4x4 DC Auto
    2012 Ford Ranger 3.2 XLT 4x4 DC Auto - SOLD
    SWAMBO 2015 Ford Everest 3.2 Limited
    Family 2010 Conqueror Commander
    Family 2015 Jurgens Exclusive

6. The Following User Says Thank You to RnR For This Useful Post:

Smile Re: Boating questions

Sorry to hi-jack your thread!
    Used to own a Ski-Nautique,absolutely beautiful boat, took lots of people and could pull an elephant on skis!
    Downside, you would be surprised how quickly your friends/relatives grow deep pockets and short arms when it comes to time for fuel!
    Basically a boat is a hole in the water into which you throw copious amounts of money, on the pretext of it being enjoyable and relaxing?
    Mark Backler
    09 Kyron, the Korean Snail.
    NO Meeow!
    Blanked EGR.
    Thermo Electric Cooling fan.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Markb For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Karol View Post
    Its been the the back of my mind too, for the price of a camping trailer one can get a solid boat. Lots of tiger and bass fishing can only be done here in Swazi properly from a boat only because of the crocs.

If only there was a rental option to actually test the hobby out properly before deciding to purchase - as with other "toys"they tend to stand more and gather dust in the driveway after the novelty wears off.
    I know there was a boat shop at Vaal Marina that did rentals.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to RnR For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Markb View Post
    Used to own a Ski-Nautique,absolutely beautiful boat, took lots of people and could pull an elephant on skis!
    Downside, you would be surprised how quickly your friends/relatives grow deep pockets and short arms when it comes to time for fuel!
    Basically a boat is a hole in the water into which you throw copious amounts of money, on the pretext of it being enjoyable and relaxing?
    Words of wisdom, if I can add that mine did not fit the family profile after we started high school, very few weekends were my own after that.

Contact Trevor at Leisure Marine in Midrand, I did my skippers there and its a quick process.
    Shawn
    2006 Izuzu DMax D/cab (commuter)
    2006 Porsche Boxster 987 (toy)
    2004 Honda CBR600RR (toy)
    1991 Nissan Sani 2.4 (toy)
    Avalanche Mountain Bike (toy)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to shawn5061 For This Useful Post:

A skippers ticket is not a drivers license. It's a license to command the boat. So if skipper is present on the boat (not on skis behind it) anyone is legal to operate the controls. If there's a problem though it's the skipper who remains responsible. So if you are planning on skiing, convince one of the other 5 people you want to take along to get the ticket instead.

I did the ticket 6 months ago and I'm on my first boat. I decided to go cheap and make all the mistakes on the first one. Paid R30k for a decent Scimitar 160- late 1980s bow rider with a 115 Suzuki. Not sure yet if my next boat will be another bow rider, or a cabin boat, or a duck, but I'll probably have a clearer picture after the first season.

Oh yes and if you're planning on boating in shallow waters, fish (depth) finders are cheaper than propellers. Don't ask me how I know this
    Last edited by Hagu13; 2018/10/30 at 09:38 AM.
    Rob
    Defender 90 pickup. Lexus V8, Spitronics, 33" KL71, beadlocks, +2" Terrafirma, ATB's, 3.75 CW&P, 1.21 TC.
    Disco 2 ES TD5. Custom map, V8 TC
    Disco 1 ES 300TDi
    Series IIA 88" pickup
    Subaru impreza WRX
    Porsche Boxster S
    Shamrock Cobra 350
    Buell XB12R

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Hagu13 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by RnR View Post
    I know there was a boat shop at Vaal Marina that did rentals.
    You will still need the ticket to get a rental. What i did was hire the boat with a skipper for the day and he coached me.
    Rob
    Defender 90 pickup. Lexus V8, Spitronics, 33" KL71, beadlocks, +2" Terrafirma, ATB's, 3.75 CW&P, 1.21 TC.
    Disco 1 ES 300TDi
    Series IIA 88" pickup
    Subaru impreza WRX
    Porsche Boxster S
    Shamrock Cobra 350
    Buell XB12R

Quote Originally Posted by Markb View Post
    True, I've seen it happen. Luckily I won't be buying a boat expecting anyone else to chip in for fuel etc. If they want to contribute then great, otherwise it really won't bother me. After all, I am buying it for my enjoyment.

Quote Originally Posted by Hagu13 View Post
    A skippers ticket is not a drivers license. It's a license to command the boat. So if skipper is present on the boat (not on skis behind it) anyone is legal to operate the controls. If there's a problem though it's the skipper who remains responsible. So if you are planning on skiing, convince one of the other 5 people you want to take along to get the ticket instead.

I did the ticket 6 months ago and I'm on my first boat. I decided to go cheap and make all the mistakes on the first one. Paid R30k for a decent Scimitar 160- late 1980s bow rider with a 115 Suzuki. Not sure yet if my next boat will be another bow rider, or a cabin boat, or a duck, but I'll probably have a clearer picture after the first season.

Oh yes and if you're planning on boating in shallow waters, fish (depth) finders are cheaper than propellers. Don't ask me how I know this
    Lol......now you will have to elaborate.

So if I understand you guys correctly I will have to have a licensed skipper in the boat with me for the first 25 hours until I get my license?

Lol......now you will have to elaborate.

So if I understand you guys correctly I will have to have a licensed skipper in the boat with me for the first 25 hours until I get my license?
    Correct. You serve 25 hours as crew. In reality you could simply be a passenger or fishing from a stationary boat. But the test has a practical aspect so you need to be able to drive it a little. When I went out with my instructor he drove for about 5 minutes and I did the rest, including more than an hour of docking with a good cross current, and driving the boat on and off a trailer in the same current.

Down here in the cape we have places like Langebaan or Knysna which are inland and sheltered, but tidal. At low tide you need to know where the channel is because the sand banks are sitting very shallow. Once you have the experience you're fine, but until you do you may have a few mishaps. The sand alone doesn't do a lot to the prop (but isn't very helpful to your cooling channels) but rocks and debris aren't good. I successfully retrieved a 2m long 1 inch wide stainless steel strap
    Rob
    Disco 1 ES 300TDi
    Series IIA 88" pickup
    Subaru impreza WRX
    Porsche Boxster S
    Shamrock Cobra 350
    Buell XB12R

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Hagu13 For This Useful Post:

True, I've seen it happen. Luckily I won't be buying a boat expecting anyone else to chip in for fuel etc. If they want to contribute then great, otherwise it really won't bother me. After all, I am buying it for my enjoyment.

That's the spirit 8)

As a family we've been boating/skiing for all my life, yes; its expensive, yes, it separates the friends between the boating invites and a rugby braai, yes, you will see it gather dust for long periods, hence don't over invest.

But at the end of the day with beautiful water and surrounds, a sunset cruise and good laughs about the skiing(fishing) antics, nothing beats it

Name:  WhatsApp Image 2017-12-31 at 17.10.42.jpg
Views: 502
Size:  52.6 KB

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dieterf For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by dieterf View Post
    That's the spirit 8)

As a family we've been boating/skiing for all my life, yes; its expensive, yes, it separates the friends between the boating invites and a rugby braai, yes, you will see it gather dust for long periods, hence don't over invest.

But at the end of the day with beautiful water and surrounds, a sunset cruise and good laughs about the skiing(fishing) antics, nothing beats it

Name:  WhatsApp Image 2017-12-31 at 17.10.42.jpg
Views: 502
Size:  52.6 KB
    Exactly what I have in mind. I know there will be long periods the boat will not be used, but the time you use it will more than make up for it! 8)

Nice pic by the way! 8)

I also take it that a 4-stroke motor will be a better investment than a 2-stroke?

I also take it that a 4-stroke motor will be a better investment than a 2-stroke?
    There has been a big shift to 4 stroke. If you're buying new and big, you won't find a 2x available.
    Used, 2x are everywhere and 4x are scarce.

I think you are about where I was 6 months ago. My recommendation would be to buy a cheap boat and get onto the water, then determine your needs from there. Big motors are good for skiing but thirsty all the time. you might decide you just want to chug around slowly and chill on the boat, or fish from it etc. Storage lockers, cabins, etc vary a lot. you might want something you can take offshore one day, so more flotation and motors needed. i haven't made these calls fully myself yet but I went into this boat with the intention of owning it for about a year and then migrating to something more suited to my needs.
    Rob
    Disco 1 ES 300TDi
    Series IIA 88" pickup
    Subaru impreza WRX
    Porsche Boxster S
    Shamrock Cobra 350
    Buell XB12R

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Hagu13 For This Useful Post:

Thats a bigger debate then LR cranks or 2SO in diesels!!!!

I've done the sums countless times, my 150hp V6 2 stroke is a guzzler, but if i were to replace it with a similiar powered 4stroke, i will NEVER recoup my money, simple as that.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to dieterf For This Useful Post:

4 strokes are expensive, maintenance and services required is more than on a 2 stroke. If you are using it for commercial purposes and burning through a lot of fuel then 4 stroke is the way to go but you will have to spend a huge amount of time on the water with a 2 stroke before making up the cost of a 4 stroke in fuel consumption.

Second hand boat for a weekend toy? Definitely 2 stroke.

And remember when you change from a 2stroke to a 4stroke you must go bigger because of the weight of the 4stroke and the associated power loss.
    For instance if you think a 115 2x is powerful enough for your needs, you cannot replace it with a 115 4stroke and think you will get the same performance.
    You will have to buy very close to a 150 4x to get the same performance.
    Yes there are so-called lightweight 4x engines but they are still heavy and can they be trusted?
    If you live each day as if it was your last, someday you'll most certainly be right. SJ

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Damdan For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast