Thread: Aircon.

Default Aircon.

So the guys that fixed my Defender's air-con stuffed up the nut that holds the vents/duct in place, so it is now lose.This is the bolt above the gear lever.How can I make another plan to get the duct fastened as there is no way of getting in there?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Land Rover Defender 2.8i 110 CSW.

Default Re: Aircon.

I haven't worked on that part of the Defender dash. I can only recommend that you either remove the whole lower part and if not possible go in from the top.

Sorry not much help.

I also have to go in there to figure out why the left vents blow stronger than the driver's vents.
    '07 Land Rover Defender 110 TDI 300 Kalahari (Meisiekind˛)
    '84 Land Rover Defender 110 V8 4-speed Hardtop (Meisiekind) Sold after 12 years of fun and hard work.
    The only thing needed for evil to triumph is for a good man to do nothing.

Is the bolt stripped. I know its a long one that screws into the the origional dash. One can actually drop the bottom piece being carefull to manoeuvre the aircon pipes through the rubber bung in the firewall on the left hand side. If the thread that the long bolt screws into is striped, one could maybe drill it out and put a rivnut in there

Charles
    Defender TDI 110 CSW
    Lift, Long Range Tanks, Dual Battery's, A few Dents and loads of FUN!
    Don't Regret Enjoying Life!!

Or maybe try and extra large self tapper/steel sheet self drilling screw to replace the stripped bolt, that's if the bolt is 6mm or smaller.

Thanks guys.

Rivnut

7. The Following User Says Thank You to GaryFrank For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jacque W View Post
    So the guys that fixed my Defender's air-con stuffed up the nut that holds the vents/duct in place, so it is now lose.This is the bolt above the gear lever.How can I make another plan to get the duct fastened as there is no way of getting in there?

Hi Jacque ..
    what do you mean stuffed up the nut ?..I think a bolt fits in there

the 3/8 ratchet with appropriate socket size ( rachetsmaller than the half inch ) fits in there ..
    you can remove the bolt and use a bigger washer to hold it together ...

hope it works ..

Quote Originally Posted by guy4ever View Post
    Hi Jacque ..what do you mean stuffed up the nut ?..I think a bolt fits in there the 3/8 ratchet with appropriate socket size ( rachetsmaller than the half inch ) fits in there ..you can remove the bolt and use a bigger washer to hold it together ...hope it works ..
    The nut is missing and I cannot get in here at all - all enclosed.

Its not a nut its a bolt .. you need to use a small socket ratchet to get in there cause a normal socket wont fit

The original LR set up is to have a rivnut in the dash and a long M6 Screw (or nut) that goes through the A/C unit and into the rivnut. If they failed to refit the screw you could get another one and fit it yourself - try M6 x 1.25 x 60mm. If you want to inspect the area you can unscrew the black screws on the side of the whole unit (near the doors on both sides) and drop the unit a few centimetres. It will be resting on the A/C pipes but is usually fine. Then you can see if the rivnut is present or turning so you can decide to fit another one and put in a new screw. Its usually best to fit that screw back first before the screws by the doors.

Hope that helps.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to nickhodgson For This Useful Post:

Hope the OP doesn't mind me asking here as an aside, but I was looking at my AC unit this weekend and found that the AC pipe manifold where it enters the Firewall has no protection of any sorts surrounding it. Can one buy something that fits around this to protect it from chafing on the firewall ?

If you have the same model of A/C as the OP then you need JQS100230 which is the grommet that protects the A/C pipes and supports the back of the evaporator.