December 2018

Thread: December 2018

Default December 2018

Will be trying to do the following from about 8-19 December : Fouriesburg, Monantsa border post, Along the Caledon river (Lesotho side) to Butha-Buthe, Ts'ehlanyane, Afriski, Marolaneng, Khubelu river meander, Mapholaneng, Katse Dam, Matabeng Pass, Sethlabathebe, Ongeluks Nek Pass. Landcruiser 76 4.2D s/w. Any advice, comments, water levels? Anybody doing similar?

Default Re: December 2018

@patric10
    the missus and I are doing a Lesotho trip as well but different to yours
    day 1: Underberg to Semonkong Lodge
    day 2: Semonkong along the A3 and wild camp somewhere along there past Marakabei Lodge ( obviously get the permission of the local chief)
    day 3: from our wild camping spot to Katse dam.
    day 4: katse dam to letseng diamond mine ( wild camping in the valley below letseng, again with the permission of the local chief)
    day 5: letseng back to underberg.
    we have 6 or so days to do this so it's very flexible and adaptable.
    if someone has better ideas I'm open to them.
    have read a lot of threads on the forum about Lesotho and the do's and don'ts.
    Have used the app iOverlander to get some ideas and will most definitely be taking a GPS along to help try not get to lost.
    we will be in a Pajero 3.2 DID

Just a heads up, re Monatsa pass , there is no entry point on the Lesotho side , we did it many years ago and had to part with some buffalo to exit at Caledonspoort , they wanted us to go back to Monatsa.
    05 TJ SAHARA
    08 3.8 JK ULTD RUBICON

4. The Following User Says Thank You to NEON DEON For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by NEON DEON View Post
    Just a heads up, re Monatsa pass , there is no entry point on the Lesotho side , we did it many years ago and had to part with some buffalo to exit at Caledonspoort , they wanted us to go back to Monatsa.
    I did some research on Monantsa border post earlier this year after watching the Lesotho Adventure by Leisure Wheels. This was their feedback for what it's worth:

"We can tell you that Monantsa border post was updated recently. The facilities on the SA side are very nice. On the Lesotho side it's just a trailer. After that its a two hour drive to the A1. Loads of water crossings, so 4x4 is a must."

They definitely also did not exit again from Monantsa, they used a different border post.
    Last edited by Hendel1986; 2018/10/31 at 08:12 AM.
    2015 Pajero Sport Shogun
    2012 Kia Cerato Hatch

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Hendel1986 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hendel1986 View Post
    I did some research on Monantsa border post earlier this year after watching the Lesotho Adventure by Leisure Wheels. This was their feedback for what it's worth:

"We can tell you that Monantsa border post was updated recently. The facilities on the SA side are very nice. On the Lesotho side it's just a trailer. After that its a two hour drive to the A1. Loads of water crossings, so 4x4 is a must."

They definitely also did not exit again from Monantsa, they used a different border post.
    Thanks. My idea was to leave really early in the morning from Fouriesburg, via clarens, via MOnantsa along the Caledon river, Butha-Buthe and then come out of Lesotho again at Fouriesburg for one night. Would be interested to know what anyone thinks about the water levels at this time of year?

Quote Originally Posted by SimonV View Post
    @patric10
    the missus and I are doing a Lesotho trip as well but different to yours
    day 1: Underberg to Semonkong Lodge
    day 2: Semonkong along the A3 and wild camp somewhere along there past Marakabei Lodge ( obviously get the permission of the local chief)
    day 3: from our wild camping spot to Katse dam.
    day 4: katse dam to letseng diamond mine ( wild camping in the valley below letseng, again with the permission of the local chief)
    day 5: letseng back to underberg.
    we have 6 or so days to do this so it's very flexible and adaptable.
    if someone has better ideas I'm open to them.
    have read a lot of threads on the forum about Lesotho and the do's and don'ts.
    Have used the app iOverlander to get some ideas and will most definitely be taking a GPS along to help try not get to lost.
    we will be in a Pajero 3.2 DID
    Hi and nice to get the feedback. Also want to stay at Letseng diamond mine/Marolaneng near the Khubelu river (ex chalets in the sky) and then do the Khubelu river meander from their to Mapholaneng (on the A1). Any ideas about water levels at this year ( still early to say i suppose)

Anyone knows of a route between Katse and Semonkong please. Don't want to go via Maseru

Hi guys
    Has anyone stayed at the "wild camp site" near Letseng Diamond Mine recently? Apparently you take the road just north of the mine and follow it all the way down.
    Wanting to camp down there on New Year's Eve, naturally I'll try find the local chief of the area and offer him a small token of appreciation for letting me stay there.