I bit the bullet, panels etc to be delivered on Monday - Page 4

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Re: I bit the bullet, panels etc to be delivered on Monday

They're probably all busy but anyone know of someone in Cape Town who is good at installing these systems?

CAMP AND CLIMB -
    Website
    CENTURION
    012-665-2079 e-mail BELLVILLE 021-949-0039 email
    PAARDEN EILAND 021-510-8112 e-mail

Shop Securely Online at www.outdoorshop.co.za - Please contact the shops directly for fast service!

Quote Originally Posted by Dogbert View Post
    They're probably all busy but anyone know of someone in Cape Town who is good at installing these systems?
    Got a mate who's done his fair share...

http://vickerselectrical.co.za/
    2015 VW Amarok 4motion Auto
    2011 Conqueror Companion

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BobMabena For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mbu View Post
    I could be wrong but your PC array is way over the limit for your mppt. I have a similar size schubart inverter and for a 48v system the limit is around 3000w and you are over 5000w .
    Mbu

Care to explain? I am a bit slow on the uptake.
    Isuzu 300 d-tec
    MB Gwagen G350 Bluetec
    Nissan NP300 2.4 4x4
    BMW R1200GS & GSA

Just an update.

Elect drawn from Eskom over three months, reading every 18th
    - Dec : 702 kWh
    - Jan : 701 kWh
    - Feb : 762 kWh (We had quite a few overcast days due to the good rains, hence the increase)

The above was attained via a timer system to change to Eskom that I set to specific periods of the day, with intermittent changes on overcast stages.

But now all has changed

Richard Mackay has built and installed a DCV monitor and switchover that works perfect.
    - Switch to Eskom at 44V
    - Switch back to batt at 55V (after 1.5 - 2h)
    - Switching to Eskom usually around 6AM when the shop fridges start up and switch off around 7AM. This is usually a balancing act as when the sun is a bit late to hit the panels a short switchback happens. In the evenings around 7PM the switch to Eskom happens again until the batteries are charged and due to very low draw during the night the batteries last to 6AM again. I like!

I can already see less Eskom hours are being used. kWh are also being logged to get a more accurate figure in a month's time
    Isuzu 300 d-tec
    MB Gwagen G350 Bluetec
    Nissan NP300 2.4 4x4
    BMW R1200GS & GSA

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JohanMaree For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by JohanMaree View Post
    Mbu

Care to explain? I am a bit slow on the uptake.
    there is a maximun limit of the total watts from the pv panels that can be handled by one particular mppt and it is usually reflected on the specs of the mppt .for eg a 60 A 150v mppt will allow a maximum input of 3000w from the solar panels for a 48v battery bank . the limit is even lower if it's a 24v battery bank system for the same mppt size it's usually around 1600w.I know we dont get the full documented wattage from the panels but it's usually safe to keep within the manufacturer's recommended limit to avoid damaging your mppt

Would the MPPT or PWM not just limit the current to the maxim. I have found cheap PWM would switch of the solar input at 90% of maxim and not switch on again until solar disconnected and reconnected. This may be a good point to consider while we exceed the maxim to take care of cloud and partial shade.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ekkekan For This Useful Post:

Mbu

So, phase-2 also done and dusted.

Our GT system installed and works well. Now for the comparison over time to assess the saving. Our monthly average Eskom use is 5800kWh (over three years)

The hardware:
    Solis 4.6Kw GTI - Solis Grid Tie Inverter 3off @ R 9,999.71 each + 15.00% = R 29,999.13 (With VAT R 34,499.00) 4.6kw Dual MPPT
    LS260 - Enersol 260W Solar Panel 24off @ R 1,322.50 each + 15.00% R 31,740.00
    (With VAT
    R 36,501.00)
    Last edited by JohanMaree; 2019/03/28 at 11:29 AM.
    Isuzu 300 d-tec
    MB Gwagen G350 Bluetec
    Nissan NP300 2.4 4x4
    BMW R1200GS & GSA

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JohanMaree For This Useful Post:

Maybe i've missed it somewhere, but is there someone that can give me real life experience as to how going off the grid ups the value of your property?

Honest question.

Apart from the convenience of giving Eskom the finger of course. Say you spend R100k on your system, does it increase the value of your house by R100k of the bat? Or even more?

My wife and I got a quote for our property, divided in to the amount we pay p/month via Eskom, we calculated that it would have paid off itself in 10-12 years only. Which for us makes no sense.

Or am I missing the plot, or is it purely just for convenience of knowing you're off the grid?

Quote Originally Posted by Morne - Skip View Post
    Maybe i've missed it somewhere, but is there someone that can give me real life experience as to how going off the grid ups the value of your property?

Honest question.

Apart from the convenience of giving Eskom the finger of course. Say you spend R100k on your system, does it increase the value of your house by R100k of the bat? Or even more?

My wife and I got a quote for our property, divided in to the amount we pay p/month via Eskom, we calculated that it would have paid off itself in 10-12 years only. Which for us makes no sense.

Or am I missing the plot, or is it purely just for convenience of knowing you're off the grid?
    We have to be pragmatic about these things. Why does it have to pay for itself. Its a tool of convenience. We don't expect a car or a fridge or a LCD TV to pay for itself. And these things are bad investments if looked at from an investment angle.

How did you work out 10-12 years. Did you factor in an Eskom Electricity increase of Inflation + 5% every year for the next 10 years.

If two similar houses in a similar suburb are on sale, the one with a renewable energy system will attract top Dollar, without a question. Trying to sell somebody a R100K system stand alone is a difficult sell. They have to be convinced, they suffer the ride of choosing a system and installer/supplier, and the take the risk of non-performance. And they have to find the money. Slap R100K onto a R2M house and its a no brainer, it gets hidden in the noise.

Never underestimate that feeling of life carrying on normally while those around you are running around with generators and sitting watching paint dry with a LED torch.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    NA TwinTurbo SuperCharger
    A V6 and an inline 4

The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fluffy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    We have to be pragmatic about these things. Why does it have to pay for itself. Its a tool of convenience. We don't expect a car or a fridge or a LCD TV to pay for itself. And these things are bad investments if looked at from an investment angle.

How did you work out 10-12 years. Did you factor in an Eskom Electricity increase of Inflation + 5% every year for the next 10 years.

If two similar houses in a similar suburb are on sale, the one with a renewable energy system will attract top Dollar, without a question. Trying to sell somebody a R100K system stand alone is a difficult sell. They have to be convinced, they suffer the ride of choosing a system and installer/supplier, and the take the risk of non-performance. And they have to find the money. Slap R100K onto a R2M house and its a no brainer, it gets hidden in the noise.

Never underestimate that feeling of life carrying on normally while those around you are running around with generators and sitting watching paint dry with a LED torch.
    Thank you for that, best explanation of solar in general

Can we stick this response to to header of the "Alternative Energy Solutions" then that will be the first thing read when entering this forum section
    Riku
    2011 Echo4 with Blinkgat Nose cone and

A modicum of balance between what you want and what you need is desirable.

Lets face it this hi-tech stuff - inverters - digital monitoring and read outs is great fun to play with and provides bragging rights. But there is always the temptation to buy more than one needs.

We can thank Eskom load shedding for triggering a tidal wave of tech education : We are learning about KW's - balancing MPPT's - how to string solar panels - lithiums - Pylontechs and Trojans - and even connecting solar to boreholes.

ďAfrica changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paul Dold For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Dold View Post
    A modicum of balance between what you want and what you need is desirable.

Lets face it this hi-tech stuff - inverters - digital monitoring and read outs is great fun to play with and provides bragging rights. But there is always the temptation to buy more than one needs.

We can thank Eskom load shedding for triggering a tidal wave of tech education : We are learning about KW's - balancing MPPT's - how to string solar panels - lithiums - Pylontechs and Trojans - and even connecting solar to boreholes.
    Part of that balance is building a tool vs enjoying a hobby. And believe it or not, helping others.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    A V6 and an inline 4

The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....

So what did you buy?

Quote Originally Posted by Dogbert View Post

ďAfrica changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway

Default Re: I bithe bullet, panels etc to be delivered on Monday

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    Please don't use funny acronyms.

WTF is a GTI? A VW Golf?
    Gas Turbine induction

Baie geluk Johan. Dis darem maar lekker om te sien hoeveel kry jy nou pasella. Die ROI gaan baie kort wees met daai gawe hoeveelheid wat inkom. Ek glo jy gaan lank gelukkig wees met daai Solis.

Ek is baie tevrede met myne al is dit klein dek dit my "standing load" tussen 10h30 en 15h00.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to ekkekan For This Useful Post:

That hobby part reflects the pleasure of living! And anyone who merely looks at his system solely through an accountants ROI eyes is missing a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    Part of that balance is building a tool vs enjoying a hobby. And believe it or not, helping others.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Dold View Post
    That hobby part reflects the pleasure of living! And anyone who merely looks at his system solely through an accountants ROI eyes is missing a lot.
    Exactly. And as you go along you learn more and help others for the love of it. Every single system has different needs and requirements.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    A V6 and an inline 4

So, phase-2 also done and dusted.

Our GT system installed and works well. Now for the comparison over time to assess the saving. Our monthly average Eskom use is 5800kWh (over three years)

The hardware:
    Solis 4.6Kw GTI - Solis Grid Tie Inverter 3off @ R 9,999.71 each + 15.00% = R 29,999.13 (With VAT R 34,499.00) 4.6kw Dual MPPT
    LS260 - Enersol 260W Solar Panel 24off @ R 1,322.50 each + 15.00% R 31,740.00
    (With VAT
    R 36,501.00)
    For the month of April we have generated 702kWh over the three phases. Looking good!
    Isuzu 300 d-tec
    MB Gwagen G350 Bluetec
    Nissan NP300 2.4 4x4
    BMW R1200GS & GSA

26. The Following User Says Thank You to JohanMaree For This Useful Post:

For the month of April we have generated 702kWh over the three phases. Looking good!
    Nice.

If I could make some comments on safety.

PV DC and Mains AC in the same box is verboden.
    Mounting Inverters on wood is a no no. If you have to then use spacers.

Just saying. Your insurance will have the same issues.
    Last edited by Fluffy; 2019/05/02 at 09:08 AM.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    A V6 and an inline 4

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Fluffy For This Useful Post:

How safe are these solar systems - can one go away on trips and leave them unattended. One is dealing with a lot of volts from different sources which could include batteries.

I know there are breakers and fuses etc. What happens if the batteries fail or run dry? And let's guess that the house earthing is not perfect - I seem to recall that earthing can deteriorate over time?

Maybe a perfect install and a perfect electrician can provide safeguards - but is there still a risk?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast