Definitive SA bush camp list - Page 8




Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
Results 141 to 160 of 242
  1. #141
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Simon's Town
    Age
    69
    Posts
    922
    Thanked: 223

    Default Re: Definative SA bush camp list

    Thanks for all the hard work, Christoff.

    We camped at Owl Camp, in Platbos, last week.

    The "open" area of the campsite is very small. This is fine, if there is no rain as there is a lot of shade, but on Tuesday we did have rain so needed some shelter and managed to get our awning half open. This worked for us but was not ideal.

    We enjoyed our stay there but would only go again on a last minute booking, when there is no rain forecast.

    The campsite is designed more for a 2x2m dome tent under the forest canopy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4153.JPG 
Views:	287 
Size:	181.5 KB 
ID:	512132   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4154.JPG 
Views:	264 
Size:	202.7 KB 
ID:	512133   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4161.JPG 
Views:	252 
Size:	240.0 KB 
ID:	512134  
    Malcolm
    2015 Pajero 3.2 LWB
    Bushwakka Sundowner No. 31

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to mcowell For This Useful Post:


  3. #142
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    East London
    Age
    53
    Posts
    42
    Thanked: 154

    Default Re: Definative SA bush camp list

    Just returned from long weekend in the Baviaanskloof.
    Camped for one night at Doodsklip camp site.
    Superb campsites, fantastic road for 4x4 on both sides of the camp (willowmore approach, or from Patensie
    There are concrete braai areas, and a bench in the site, close by a pit toilet, clean and ventilated with enclosure.
    WOnderful river to swim in, can collect fresh water.
    No electricity, no rubbish collection, nothing else.
    Comes highly recommended by me: we will certainly be back.

    D.

  4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to IanK For This Useful Post:


  5. #143
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Polokwane
    Age
    53
    Posts
    425
    Thanked: 249

    Default Re: Definative SA bush camp list

    Loud music or any music for that matter is a big no-no! (Personal preference)

    The reason we go to the bush, at great expense, is for the peace and quiet.

    But places like Bendito Ranch, Waterberg Wilderness and Coral Tree campsites have no control over this since its external.

    (Seems Kyleu has the same problem)

    The best advice is to choose your dates for a visit carefully.
    Jeep Grand Cherokee 2002 4.7 V8

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to DC Polokwane For This Useful Post:


  7. #144
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Helderkruin
    Age
    53
    Posts
    1,691
    Thanked: 299

    Default Re: Definative SA bush camp list

    Quote Originally Posted by DC Polokwane View Post
    Loud music or any music for that matter is a big no-no! (Personal preference)

    The reason we go to the bush, at great expense, is for the peace and quiet.

    But places like Bendito Ranch, Waterberg Wilderness and Coral Tree campsites have no control over this since its external.

    (Seems Kyleu has the same problem)

    The best advice is to choose your dates for a visit carefully.
    Bendito Ranch is vir my die beste bos kamp nog waar ek was.

  8. #145
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Port Elizabeth
    Age
    68
    Posts
    674
    Thanked: 277

    Default Re: Definative SA bush camp list

    Quote Originally Posted by IanK View Post
    Just returned from long weekend in the Baviaanskloof.
    Camped for one night at Doodsklip camp site.
    Superb campsites, fantastic road for 4x4 on both sides of the camp (willowmore approach, or from Patensie
    There are concrete braai areas, and a bench in the site, close by a pit toilet, clean and ventilated with enclosure.
    WOnderful river to swim in, can collect fresh water.
    No electricity, no rubbish collection, nothing else.
    Comes highly recommended by me: we will certainly be back.

    D.
    Certainly one of the best in Baviaans for sure

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter Betts For This Useful Post:


  10. #146
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Centurion
    Age
    45
    Posts
    224
    Thanked: 41

    Default Re: Definative SA bush camp list

    Thanks to this thread I camped at one of two Bsorah 4x4 Bush Camps in Magaliesburg, two nights. Absolute pressure, that's what bush camping is all about.

    2015 3.2TDCi Ford Ranger WildTrak 4x4 Auto
    2011 3.0TDCi Ford Ranger WildTrak 4x4 Manual
    2006 4.0L V6 Ford Ranger 4x4
    2005 2.5L Turbo Mazda S/C 4X2

  11. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to 4Wheeler For This Useful Post:


  12. #147
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Posts
    377
    Thanked: 303

    Default Re: Definative SA bush camp list

    Found a new camp near Swartruggens, KoedoesKroon. Seems you can camp anywhere on the 200ha farm. No facilities and one water point.
    https://www.facebook.com/KoedoesKroon-1939858762939302/

    I've asked the owner for GPS coordinates and more detail so I can add it to the map

  13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Christoff For This Useful Post:


  14. #148
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Benoni
    Age
    49
    Posts
    11
    Thanked: 19

    Default Re: Definative SA bush camp list

    I use this forum for a lot of advice, but seem to have not used the search function correctly? I booked Dinokeng Kyleu last weekend, based on a Drive and Camp review last month.

    Swambo and I was hoping to have a silent and relaxing New Years Eve doing something different? I thought it was strange that i was able to get a booking on short notice. We asked for the 29/12 to 1/01, we got that for self sufficient, but i have not got Swambo porta potty trained yet, so had to accept the 30/12 to 1/01 departure, with shower and toilets(The problem with small business owners, need to take gaps when you think it can work), We were advised by Sherri that on the 1st we can depart any time as they are not yet expecting any guests on our site, nice touch.

    Guess i will enjoy the loud music on the 31st

    So at least I will test the Solar setup, NL Power pack, fridge etc.... and a then a Klyeu report back. Happy New Year to all. Oh i guess i will not tell Swambo the New Year will not be Silent

  15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to caesarcp For This Useful Post:


  16. #149
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Posts
    377
    Thanked: 303

    Default Re: Definative SA bush camp list

    My latest review is up; Botsalano Game reserve https://youtu.be/RERQRxHmjUQ

  17. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Christoff For This Useful Post:


  18. #150
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Age
    63
    Posts
    1,680
    Thanked: 413

    Default Re: Definative SA bush camp list

    Quote Originally Posted by Christoff View Post
    My latest review is up; Botsalano Game reserve https://youtu.be/RERQRxHmjUQ
    Nice review Christoff!

    Well presented.

    You could take over from that irritating Andre who does trial reviews with pleasure!
    # 5 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS 2015
    # 4 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport 2013 trade in
    # 3 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport 2011 good trade
    # 2 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport 2010 did not aquaplane so well
    # 1 Mitsubishi Colt 2005 with 3.2 DID (160kw WOW!)
    Jurgens Xplorer 2013 (new retirement home)
    Challenger Wilderness "The Penthouse" (sold and will be sorely missed)
    Platkar 1: BMW 118 (SWAMBO)
    Platkar 2: Nissan 200 SX (Retirement project)

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to Mitsu Fan For This Useful Post:


  20. #151
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Newcastle
    Age
    32
    Posts
    558
    Thanked: 64

    Default Re: Definative SA bush camp list

    Quote Originally Posted by Christoff View Post
    My latest review is up; Botsalano Game reserve https://youtu.be/RERQRxHmjUQ
    Do you have a background in journalism?
    It's well put together, good speed of speech, info that is relevant, and a good 'narrative' voice.
    It's not leaking oil, it's sweating power!

  21. The Following User Says Thank You to Photokid For This Useful Post:


  22. #152
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Posts
    377
    Thanked: 303

    Default Re: Definative SA bush camp list

    Quote Originally Posted by Photokid View Post
    Do you have a background in journalism?
    It's well put together, good speed of speech, info that is relevant, and a good 'narrative' voice.
    Thanks Guys, appreciate the feedback! No experience in any of this, learning as I go

  23. #153
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Age
    61
    Posts
    5,222
    Thanked: 1436

    Default Re: Definative SA bush camp list

    Great review Christoff.
    Henk
    Adventure is out there go find it

    Fitment and trailer service. Agent for SnoMaster & Tentco
    Follow us on Facebook

  24. The Following User Says Thank You to hbannink For This Useful Post:


  25. #154
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Ruimsig
    Age
    55
    Posts
    2,955
    Thanked: 402

    Default Re: Definative SA bush camp list

    Quote Originally Posted by Christoff View Post
    My latest review is up; Botsalano Game reserve https://youtu.be/RERQRxHmjUQ
    Subscribed Christoff. Excellent videos Boet, thanks for the time and effort you put into these and no doubt the expense.
    There is no such thing as inclement weather, only poor selection of clothing.... or Vehicle

    2009 Hummer H3 V8
    2013 Jeep Cherokee
    2012 Jeep Patriot

  26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Estee For This Useful Post:


  27. #155
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Age
    63
    Posts
    1,680
    Thanked: 413

    Default Re: Definative SA bush camp list

    We had a glorious 4 days at Matamba Bush Camp.

    Until 2x Prado owners with 2x Bushlapas arrived on Wednesday with 9 people (4 x grown ups if you can call them grown ups) 3 x 16 year old boys and 2 x 11 year old girls.

    For those who dont know there are only 5 sites about 100 meters apart. So for sound to travel 100 meters it has to be loud.

    To be expected from a large group there was the noise of voices from their camp as well as when they went walking. Irritating but we lived with it.

    Yesterday my wife turns on the car radio about 10 minutes before 10 am to catch up on some news. Like most radio stations there will be music before the news.

    The owner pitches at our camp at 1 minute to 10 am and says that lot who have been noisy for 2 days have now complained about music being played.

    Really? 10 minutes? On purpose? I was inside the van a mere 10 meters away and I could not hear anything!

    Extremely petty to chirp within 10 minutes and then they approach the owners. Hey we are 2 pensioners and would not have stood a chance against your army. Where is your backbone?

    So go suck it guys. The camp really was not big enough for us pensioner troublemakers and we decided we felt even 100m was too little space betwee us and such arrogance.

    Home sweet home.
    # 5 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS 2015
    # 4 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport 2013 trade in
    # 3 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport 2011 good trade
    # 2 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport 2010 did not aquaplane so well
    # 1 Mitsubishi Colt 2005 with 3.2 DID (160kw WOW!)
    Jurgens Xplorer 2013 (new retirement home)
    Challenger Wilderness "The Penthouse" (sold and will be sorely missed)
    Platkar 1: BMW 118 (SWAMBO)
    Platkar 2: Nissan 200 SX (Retirement project)

  28. The Following User Says Thank You to Mitsu Fan For This Useful Post:


  29. #156
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Helderkruin
    Age
    53
    Posts
    1,691
    Thanked: 299

    Default Re: Definative SA bush camp list

    Dankie Christoff waardeur.

  30. #157
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Langs die rivier, op n berg
    Posts
    12,489
    Thanked: 2296

    Default Re: Definative SA bush camp list

    Jy kan myne op sit.
    Bakenskloof, Greyton
    Vrywaring: Niks wat ek hier kwyt raak moet hoegenaamd as feite beskou word nie.

  31. #158
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Posts
    377
    Thanked: 303

    Default Re: Definative SA bush camp list

    Quote Originally Posted by Reenen View Post
    Jy kan myne op sit.
    Bakenskloof, Greyton
    Het jy dalk vir my meer info asb, enigste een wat ek kry is hierdie een https://www.facebook.com/Bakenskloof/ Is daar n boskamp ook of het ek die verkeerde een beet hier?

    Tx

  32. #159
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Posts
    377
    Thanked: 303

    Default Re: Definative SA bush camp list

    Sorry to hear that Our experience at Matamba's been great every time. I prefer Mara's camp though, then you're completely by yourself



    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu Fan View Post
    We had a glorious 4 days at Matamba Bush Camp.

    Until 2x Prado owners with 2x Bushlapas arrived on Wednesday with 9 people (4 x grown ups if you can call them grown ups) 3 x 16 year old boys and 2 x 11 year old girls.

    For those who dont know there are only 5 sites about 100 meters apart. So for sound to travel 100 meters it has to be loud.

    To be expected from a large group there was the noise of voices from their camp as well as when they went walking. Irritating but we lived with it.

    Yesterday my wife turns on the car radio about 10 minutes before 10 am to catch up on some news. Like most radio stations there will be music before the news.

    The owner pitches at our camp at 1 minute to 10 am and says that lot who have been noisy for 2 days have now complained about music being played.

    Really? 10 minutes? On purpose? I was inside the van a mere 10 meters away and I could not hear anything!

    Extremely petty to chirp within 10 minutes and then they approach the owners. Hey we are 2 pensioners and would not have stood a chance against your army. Where is your backbone?

    So go suck it guys. The camp really was not big enough for us pensioner troublemakers and we decided we felt even 100m was too little space betwee us and such arrogance.

    Home sweet home.

  33. #160
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    48
    Posts
    22
    Thanked: 4

    Default Re: Definative SA bush camp list

    We discovered Matamba about 5 years ago and just love the place. So much so that we do not want to go anywhere else. The size of the stands and the peacefulness is something you dont find often. Unfortunately now that our little one is going to school we cannot go there for extended weekends.
    Does anyone know of a camp closer to Pretoria which is similar to Matamba where we can go for a quick weekend in the bush?

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •