Definitive SA bush camp list - Page 4

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Default Re: Definative SA bush camp list

Please add ARENDSNES at Chintsa east on the wild coast. Camping in the indiginess bush by the sea.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to LOUIS GREEFF For This Useful Post:

This is a really nice initiative and I see the comments about sharing this.

Disclaimer: I am from Tracks4Africa and we are a for-profit organisation.

But this lies close to our hearts.

As it stands the following infrastructure is available for use by anyone with an internet connection:
    • database of places in Africa of which 4275 are camping sites. (1643 in South Africa)
    • web map on which you can view location of camp site
    • we already maintain a camp site category on which you can filter: https://tracks4africa.co.za/listings...anced_search=1
    • attributes are and can be added to all camp sites by public users (requires you to register on the website)
    • team of people to act on instructions from above
    • users can leave a comment on a place - not really a rating but user comments are subjective

Our website is free to use and will remain free to use. Our value add products (GPS maps, apps, paper maps, guide books etc) are for sale and we do monetise the website with things like referrals.

We have been working on camping categories for a while. My objective is to create enough information for a raveller to make an informed decision about what to expect at a camp site. As an example, if you want to experience wildlife/scenery/solitude then you would make the sacrifice of no facilities in a bush camp, however when you are in transit through a city you would have a very different set of criteria for choosing a camp site - safety, hot shower, laundry, proximity to shops for re-stocking your supplies, restaurant to take a break from camp food and wifi to catch up on real life. And then there are categories in between.

At this stage we have the following categories and I will start out by saying that assigning the correct category has not been a major focus yet. We refer to a bush camp as a wilderness camp, but it means the same thing. We also have a park camp but my feeling is this should be dissolved into the other categories, so many wilderness camps currently are park camps.

We have however focused on campsite facilities and indicate things like shade, electricity, hot shower and many more.

The entire notion is up for discussion as we are embarking on a major revamp of the website in 2019.

I really do not want to hijack this thread or the work Christoff is putting into it but thought that this is important to know. I would be happy to assign a resource to process data if need be. As we update places we make it live on a weekly basis. With the new website we will also introduce a better way to filter places on a web map by including these sub-categories into the filter. For now it is via the advance search only.

On the GPS maps there is a Africa Guide which also allows one to search along these categories on your Garmin.

Kind Regards
    Johann Groenewald
    Tracks4Africa

www.tracks4africa.co.za
    For friendly support staff, call +27 (0)21 880 8660

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Groenie For This Useful Post:

Thanks Johann, that's definitely an option to load it on T4A (or others like ioverlander.com etc.) I'm trying to build a list though that specifically focuses on bushcamps (as it is already such a pain to find them amongst all the other thousands of listed campsites). Having a bushcamp "layer" (like you do in Gaia GPS maps) would be really nice

I think I'd like to complete the list and then see where we load it

Quote Originally Posted by Groenie View Post
    This is a really nice initiative and I see the comments about sharing this.

Disclaimer: I am from Tracks4Africa and we are a for-profit organisation.

But this lies close to our hearts.

As it stands the following infrastructure is available for use by anyone with an internet connection:
    • database of places in Africa of which 4275 are camping sites. (1643 in South Africa)
    • web map on which you can view location of camp site
    • we already maintain a camp site category on which you can filter: https://tracks4africa.co.za/listings...anced_search=1
    • attributes are and can be added to all camp sites by public users (requires you to register on the website)
    • team of people to act on instructions from above
    • users can leave a comment on a place - not really a rating but user comments are subjective

Our website is free to use and will remain free to use. Our value add products (GPS maps, apps, paper maps, guide books etc) are for sale and we do monetise the website with things like referrals.

We have been working on camping categories for a while. My objective is to create enough information for a raveller to make an informed decision about what to expect at a camp site. As an example, if you want to experience wildlife/scenery/solitude then you would make the sacrifice of no facilities in a bush camp, however when you are in transit through a city you would have a very different set of criteria for choosing a camp site - safety, hot shower, laundry, proximity to shops for re-stocking your supplies, restaurant to take a break from camp food and wifi to catch up on real life. And then there are categories in between.

At this stage we have the following categories and I will start out by saying that assigning the correct category has not been a major focus yet. We refer to a bush camp as a wilderness camp, but it means the same thing. We also have a park camp but my feeling is this should be dissolved into the other categories, so many wilderness camps currently are park camps.

We have however focused on campsite facilities and indicate things like shade, electricity, hot shower and many more.

The entire notion is up for discussion as we are embarking on a major revamp of the website in 2019.

I really do not want to hijack this thread or the work Christoff is putting into it but thought that this is important to know. I would be happy to assign a resource to process data if need be. As we update places we make it live on a weekly basis. With the new website we will also introduce a better way to filter places on a web map by including these sub-categories into the filter. For now it is via the advance search only.

On the GPS maps there is a Africa Guide which also allows one to search along these categories on your Garmin.

Kind Regards
    Last edited by Christoff; 2018/10/29 at 08:22 PM.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Christoff For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Christoff View Post
    I'm happy to do the first batch but I think what would be more valuable in the long run is a database for people to submit their own contributions
    The iOverlander website and app allows for users to list and review places. There is a “Informal Campsite” and “Wild Camping” category

Quote Originally Posted by duidelikedave View Post
    The iOverlander website and app allows for users to list and review places. There is a “Informal Campsite” and “Wild Camping” category
    Personally I'm keen on iOverlander as well, these categories at least allow you to filter and I can bulk upload what I've captured so far. I like the fact that it's a non-profit as well. Forum members can then add / amend going forward.

I've already captured the sites in the list in a rudimentary map (don't take my GPS coordinates as gospel though);
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Yt...1z&usp=sharing

I can bulk upload this to iOverlander (or T4A for that matter). The other option is to do a separate site but this will be an admin nightmare I think (and I'm not keen on getting into the mapping business )

Open to some discussion; where do we want to keep and maintain this data (as it's our data, not mine)?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Christoff For This Useful Post:

I have a great little bush campsite that must be added to the ever growing list. There is this true bush camp with no power, but has water and really nice ablutions on a farm just outside Tonteldoos called "Jorobundu" which is owned and run by Joe and Ruth Holmes. The campsite has enough space for a fairly large group of campers or you can have it all to yourself. It has an awesome boma which is under shady trees and provides decent protection on a windy day. A 4X4 is necessary to reach the campsite (especially if you are towing a trailer) or the very least a high clearance vehicle and if the conditions are good. Wet conditions will definitely require a proper 4X4.
    Now, if you are wondering where Tonteldoos is, it is approx. 20KM north of Dullstroom and had often hosted the Sottish Highlands Festival which has sadly been discontinued.
    With regards to security, it is extremely safe with no incidents either on the farm or in the area that I am aware of. The campsite is in the middle of nowhere and the peace and serenity is just awesome.
    Contact details for arranging a weekend getaway are as follows: Joe Holmes 0825791861 and if no answer, message him on whatsapp and he will call you back or you can e-mail him at [email protected]
    Joe and Ruth are fantastic hosts and will make you feel very welcome.
    2013 Toyota Fortuner 3.0 D4D Auto 4X4
    2010 Toyota Fortuner 3.0 D4D Auto(SOLD)
    2012 Jurgens Xcape

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Henry Chalmers For This Useful Post:

Also called Bushboys camp, I've added it already

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Chalmers View Post
    I have a great little bush campsite that must be added to the ever growing list. There is this true bush camp with no power, but has water and really nice ablutions on a farm just outside Tonteldoos called "Jorobundu" which is owned and run by Joe and Ruth Holmes. The campsite has enough space for a fairly large group of campers or you can have it all to yourself. It has an awesome boma which is under shady trees and provides decent protection on a windy day. A 4X4 is necessary to reach the campsite (especially if you are towing a trailer) or the very least a high clearance vehicle and if the conditions are good. Wet conditions will definitely require a proper 4X4.
    Now, if you are wondering where Tonteldoos is, it is approx. 20KM north of Dullstroom and had often hosted the Sottish Highlands Festival which has sadly been discontinued.
    With regards to security, it is extremely safe with no incidents either on the farm or in the area that I am aware of. The campsite is in the middle of nowhere and the peace and serenity is just awesome.
    Contact details for arranging a weekend getaway are as follows: Joe Holmes 0825791861 and if no answer, message him on whatsapp and he will call you back or you can e-mail him at [email protected]
    Joe and Ruth are fantastic hosts and will make you feel very welcome.

Excellent idea Christoff and long over due to have a list like this

However the success remains in the ease with which a user will be able to access the information over and above just a name and province. Not all of these will have websites and word of mouth would be crucial. Pictures and short comments from previous campers with some information on these camps will add tremendous value

Just my 2c
    Last edited by Hilux01; 2018/10/30 at 12:56 PM.
    2013 Toyota Hilux 3.0D4-D 4x4
    Bush Lapa 810 Miskruier
    ORRA Call Sign: X85
    Gerbers Alu Canopy
    Howlingmoon RTT

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hilux01 For This Useful Post:

Agreed, I'm leaning towards T4A's free platform or iOverlander.com.

In the interim here's a basic map with more details https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Yt...1z&usp=sharing

Quote Originally Posted by Hilux01 View Post
    Excellent idea Christoff and long over due to have a list like this

However the success remains in the ease with which a user will be able to access the information over and above just a name and province. Not all of these will have websites and word of mouth would be crucial. Pictures and short comments from previous campers with some information on these camps will add tremendous value

Just my 2c

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Christoff For This Useful Post:

Default Re:

Hi Folks,

I'm trying to put together a list of all the (nice) bush camps in SA (will do Southern Africa later).

Let's maybe qualify "bush camps" as well; let's say campsites that are as natural, off the grid as possible and at the very least separated from each other (i.e. not the traditional shared camp ground setups).

This is what I have so far, I would greatly appreciate suggestions (or corrections if some of these aren't that great). I've marked ones with no feedback as question marks. I will edit as we go.

Map and list; https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Yt...1z&usp=sharing

Gauteng
    Kyleu
    B'sorah 4x4 Safari bush camp
    Honorable mentions;
    - Willemsrus
    - Danielsrust
    - MooiPlasie bush camps

Limpopo
    Matamba
    Sondela Tambuki
    Somabula
    Waterberg Wilderness
    Coral Tree Campsite?
    Zwakala Campsite?
    Limpopo River Lodge Campsite?
    Modumele Wilderness and Molope Bush Camp, Blouberg Nature Reserve
    Thabaphaswa Mountain Sanctuary
    Bendito Ranch bush campsites
    Hilstone lodge
    Mabalingwe 4x4 Camps
    Zvakanaka campsite
    Morning sun bush camps
    Ratho 4x4 camps
    Serendipity - more reviews needed?
    Pafuri Rivercamp?
    Honorable mentions;
    - Bontle campsite, Marakele National Park
    - Tsendze Rustic Camp, Kruger National Park
    - Mazhou campsite, Mapungubwe

Mpumalanga
    Buffalo Gorge - Wild camp
    Devoetpadkloof - Bush camp?
    Bushboys Camp, Tonteldoos

North West
    Botsalano Game Reserve
    Molopo Game Reserve

Freestate
    Shumba Valley Camp?

Kwazulu Natal
    Doornkraal, Ithala Game Reserve?
    Mabibi beach camp
    Bonamanzi "exclusive" camp sites (no 17 and 18 )
    Hermit’s Wood?
    Oribi gorge nature reserve, Ezemvelo
    Edwaleni, Hidden Valley, Mooi River?

Northern Cape
    Kokerboomkloof, Richtersveld National Park
    De Hoop, Richtersveld National Park
    Namaqua 4x4 Eco trail; Kamgab, Tierkloof, Rigtersberg
    Namaqua National Park; Groenrivier Coastal Rest Camp; Varswater, Kwass Se Baai, Delwerskamp, Groenriviermond, Boulderbaai, Koringkorrekbaai, Skuinsklip, Skuinsbaai Noord, Bamboeskamp
    Honorable mentions;
    - Nossob Premium, Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park
    - Motswedi camp, Mokala National Park
    - Riemvasmaak. Bushcamp with the name Norbit Kai no 2. Very isolated and great.
    Western Cape
    Kruistementvlei?
    Greyton Eco Camp? - Bad reviews?
    Secret Falls Tulbagh (4x4 clubs only though)
    Kliphuis camp, Cederberg Wilderness
    Petervale guest farm?
    Peace of Eden, Knysna?
    Dwarsberg Trout Hideaway, Rawsonville?
    Secret Falls (1 pvt campsite), Winterhoek mountains?
    Houdenbek (1 pvt campsite), Op-die-Berg?
    Cederberg Oasis 4x4 campsites?
    Enjo Nature Farm, Biedouw Valley?
    Hooikraal camp (tented camp)

Eastern Cape
    Bokmakierie, Ragels Rivier farm?
    Bruintjieskraal (no. 6, 11, 12, 13 and 14)
    Gonjah Bush Camp
    Baviaanskloof lodge
    Speekhout Kudu camp
    Kouga Wilderness bushcamp, Joubertina
    Bhejane, Willowmore
    Honorable mentions;
    - Arendsnes, Chintsa East
    - Yellow Wood (Morgans Bay)

Cheers,
    Christoff

Default Re:

THanks Sammy, I've added it to the map, I can't find lots of info on it though, managed to get a tel no. at least

RE - Riemvasmaak. Bushcamp with the name Norbit Kai no 2. Very isolated and great.

Ons was so 2 naweke terug by Riverside Paradise. 'n Pragtige plekkie met baie skadu en reg langs die rivier. Die karavaan staanplekk is nader aan die ablusie en daar is krag maar rivier kamppeek is sonder krag met 'n volledig toegeruste kombuis. Die vuurvliegies kuier in die aand en daar is otters en 'n likkewaan waarna jy kan loer in die dag. 'n Staproete (sirkel) van so om en by 5km belowe die mooiste uitsigte en lei jou tot by die lawa rock pools. Voels in oorvloed. As dt nie 'n boskamp is nie, is dit baie naby. Ek kan dit regtig aanbeveel. Net so entjie noord-wes van Cullinan

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trudie For This Useful Post:

[QUOTE= Pafuri Rivercamp [/QUOTE]

We have never camped at Pafuri Rivercamp but when SWAMBO was working in the Punda area in the Kruger we stayed a couple of weekends in their rustic chalets. Its rustic and secluded and a wonderful place for peace and quiet.
    Last edited by Diversions; 2018/11/01 at 08:24 AM. Reason: Spelling!
    Gen 4 Pajero GLX 3.2 DiD
    Forum Radio Licence 1037

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Diversions For This Useful Post:

Okay folks, if you want to find these on T4A (still being loaded) you can go to https://tracks4africa.co.za/listings...anced_search=1 and search for category; camping, subcategory; wilderness camps
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	t4a.PNG 
Views:	120 
Size:	4.9 KB 
ID:	507917
    If you register on the site you can add your own listings as well obviously.

I had a look at loading these on iOverlander too but our bush camps sit in between their wild camping and established camping categories, thus going to be difficult finding these again. I can bulk upload them under established campsites if anybody wants them on this platform.

I can also keep this map going if you want (as long as it doesn't become an admin hog). You'll note in some of the descriptions that I'm missing some info though

If you submit to this thread please include;
    - How many sites?
    - Potable water?
    - Hot water?
    - Toilets?
    - Anything you want to add

Cheers

24. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Christoff For This Useful Post:

I can also keep this map going if you want (as long as it doesn't become an admin hog). You'll note in some of the descriptions that I'm missing some info though
    Is there anything similar but showing 4x4 tracks that you know of?

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Stander View Post
    Is there anything similar but showing 4x4 tracks that you know of?
    You can go to T4A again and search category; Activity, sub-category 4wd-trail
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	t4a.PNG 
Views:	96 
Size:	4.9 KB 
ID:	507951

https://tracks4africa.co.za/listings...anced_search=1

I tried that, but get a list of items that I have to view separately in a map.
    Maybe I'm doing it wrong but that is what I keep on getting.
    I like the google map in that I see a global overview of all the items and I can zoom in to the area I'm interested in.

Yup, that's how it works unfortunately, you get the list first and then you click through to the map. @groenie is there a different way to do this perhaps?

Johann did mention they are revamping the site

PS. If someone is willing to collate and provide me the data in a spreadsheet I can pull it into the google map (Name,Lat,Long,Type,Description,URL link). Just afraid I'm going to get into the mapping business if we start adding more here

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Stander View Post
    I tried that, but get a list of items that I have to view separately in a map.
    Maybe I'm doing it wrong but that is what I keep on getting.
    I like the google map in that I see a global overview of all the items and I can zoom in to the area I'm interested in.
    Last edited by Christoff; 2018/11/01 at 12:39 PM.

Nice thread, keep it up!

Agreed, I'm leaning towards T4A's free platform or iOverlander.com.

In the interim here's a basic map with more details https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Yt...1z&usp=sharing
    Christoff

Great thanks
    How do we add info to your map

As eg. see you have some questions on De Voetpadkloof (Bush camp) - I have some details and photos to share if interested
    This is how T4A used shared information to build an excellent product
    2013 Toyota Hilux 3.0D4-D 4x4
    Bush Lapa 810 Miskruier
    ORRA Call Sign: X85
    Gerbers Alu Canopy
    Howlingmoon RTT

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast