Definitive SA bush camp list - Page 10





Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
Results 181 to 200 of 251
  1. #181
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Kuilsrivier
    Age
    45
    Posts
    557
    Thanked: 165

    Default Re: Definitive SA bush camp list

    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd View Post
    Hi All

    I added Balie se Gat. I have not been there, but friends returned with great reviews.

    They are sure it is 4x4 only, but will report back after our manne naweek in April.

    32į44'45.32"S
    19į17'29.72"E
    The location did not add. Could anyone assist please? I did try again.
    Last edited by Nerd; 2019/01/14 at 08:22 PM.
    2010 Pajero Sport 3.2 Di-D
    2017 Jurgens XT140 with Echo Mkii Tent

  2. #182
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Posts
    403
    Thanked: 344

    Default Re: Definitive SA bush camp list

    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd View Post
    The location did not add. Could anyone assist please? I did try again.
    Itís there, under rustic camps. I can move it to bush camps if thatís more accurate?

  3. #183
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Kuilsrivier
    Age
    45
    Posts
    557
    Thanked: 165

    Default Re: Definitive SA bush camp list

    Quote Originally Posted by Christoff View Post
    Itís there, under rustic camps. I can move it to bush camps if thatís more accurate?
    Found it, but wrong location. Can this be changed?

    <longitude>19.29237093193781
    <latitude>-32.74651378963529


    Thanks
    2010 Pajero Sport 3.2 Di-D
    2017 Jurgens XT140 with Echo Mkii Tent

  4. #184
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Posts
    403
    Thanked: 344

    Default Re: Definitive SA bush camp list

    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd View Post
    Found it, but wrong location. Can this be changed?

    <longitude>19.29237093193781
    <latitude>-32.74651378963529


    Thanks
    -32.74651378963529,19.2923709319378 fixed it

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to Christoff For This Useful Post:


  6. #185
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Posts
    403
    Thanked: 344

    Default Re: Definitive SA bush camp list

    Spent a couple days camping at Grootfontein's Marula camp. Heat was a killer (and flies and mozzies because of the rain) but a really nice campsite;
    https://youtu.be/LZCBHUGWDdo

  7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Christoff For This Useful Post:


  8. #186
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Durbanville
    Age
    50
    Posts
    260
    Thanked: 92

    Default Re: Definitive SA bush camp list

    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd View Post
    Hi All

    I added Balie se Gat. I have not been there, but friends returned with great reviews.

    They are sure it is 4x4 only, but will report back after our manne naweek in April.

    32į44'45.32"S
    19į17'29.72"E
    Was there During December 2018. Lovely campsite.

    4x4 not needed but a high clearance vehicle a must.
    4x4 needed if you pull anything.
    The road towards the campsite is narrow and very steep.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by 4x4 wannabie; 2019/01/20 at 09:25 AM.
    Metalian Maxi

  9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 4x4 wannabie For This Useful Post:


  10. #187
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Kuilsrivier
    Age
    45
    Posts
    557
    Thanked: 165

    Default Re: Definitive SA bush camp list

    Quote Originally Posted by 4x4 wannabie View Post
    Was there During December 2018. Lovely campsite.

    4x4 not needed but a high clearance vehicle a must.
    4x4 needed if you pull anything.
    The road towards the campsite is narrow and very steep.
    Hi 4x4 Wannabie

    Any more photies? Especially of the steep road there?
    Will you rate this as a bush or rustic
    camp?

    Nerd
    2010 Pajero Sport 3.2 Di-D
    2017 Jurgens XT140 with Echo Mkii Tent

  11. #188
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Durbanville
    Age
    50
    Posts
    260
    Thanked: 92

    Default Re: Definitive SA bush camp list

    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd View Post
    Hi 4x4 Wannabie

    Any more photies? Especially of the steep road there?
    Will you rate this as a bush or rustic
    camp?

    Nerd
    Sorry,did not take any photos of road.
    It really is not that bad - normal gravel road that is narrow and steep at some places.
    I used 2nd gear low range going up pulling my Metalian Maxi.

    There were many other campers with off-road caravans.

    I would say its rustic.

    Pics from website :
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	22.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	528.5 KB 
ID:	516923   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6.jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	477.4 KB 
ID:	516924  
    Metalian Maxi

  12. #189
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Age
    34
    Posts
    471
    Thanked: 46

    Default Re: Definitive SA bush camp list

    Anyone done bergenriver country retreat, 1 hour 40 min from jhb?

  13. #190
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Age
    34
    Posts
    471
    Thanked: 46

    Default Re: Definitive SA bush camp list

    Quote Originally Posted by rog163 View Post
    Anyone done bergenriver country retreat, 1 hour 40 min from jhb?
    http://www.bergenrivier.co.za

  14. #191
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Posts
    403
    Thanked: 344

    Default Re: Definitive SA bush camp list

    Quote Originally Posted by rog163 View Post
    Anyone done bergenriver country retreat, 1 hour 40 min from jhb?
    JohanMaree can give you some feedback

  15. #192
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Hillrise, Kempton Park
    Age
    64
    Posts
    1,602
    Thanked: 633

    Default Re: Definitive SA bush camp list

    Berg en Rivier.

    I will give it 50%

    But go and decide for yourself.
    Isuzu 300 d-tec
    MB Gwagen G350 Bluetec
    Nissan NP300 2.4 4x4
    BMW R1200GS & GSA

  16. #193
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Age
    34
    Posts
    471
    Thanked: 46

    Default Re: Definitive SA bush camp list

    Quote Originally Posted by JohanMaree View Post
    Berg en Rivier.

    I will give it 50%

    But go and decide for yourself.
    What didnít you like about the place?

  17. #194
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Hillrise, Kempton Park
    Age
    64
    Posts
    1,602
    Thanked: 633

    Default Re: Definitive SA bush camp list

    Berg en Rivier

    Die kampplek op die rivierwal was gerieflik en skaduryk

    - Geen drinkwater by kampplek. Krane word beplan...
    - Ons het ons eie stort (Conq Commander) gebruik
    - Kan swem, hengel of tube-ry in die rivier
    - Bestuur is vriendelik en hulpvaardig
    - Verkieslik 4x4 om die kampplekke te bereik
    - 4x4 en staproetes gratis
    - Geen krag
    - MTN sein teenwoordig. Vodacom baie swak.

    Die ablusie verg baie aandag
    - Geen warm water
    - Stortuitlope verstop
    - Toilette skoon en papier word voorsien
    - Benodig laaang tuinslang om water by die kampplek te kry.
    - Geen krag
    Isuzu 300 d-tec
    MB Gwagen G350 Bluetec
    Nissan NP300 2.4 4x4
    BMW R1200GS & GSA

  18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JohanMaree For This Useful Post:


  19. #195
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Age
    34
    Posts
    471
    Thanked: 46

    Default Re: Definitive SA bush camp list

    Just got home after spending the night at berg and river. Would probably give it a 3/10. Stayed at the river camps, waited most of the day to get them to switch on the water for ablutions. No hot water. Facilities at river camp all run down, Braai supplied all rusted. No firewood supplied. We also got a visit from SAPS asking if we saw a guy on a quad come past which is a bit worrying when there with family. Positives are the river running and get a sense your on your own when SAPS arenít searching for someone.

    Wouldnít go back.

  20. The Following User Says Thank You to rog163 For This Useful Post:


  21. #196
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Harties
    Posts
    1,262
    Thanked: 453

    Default Re: Definitive SA bush camp list

    Christoff, please check you PM Inbox.
    Last edited by PRA; 2019/02/04 at 06:51 AM.
    If you make a noise or need music in the bush or on the beach, youíre missing the point.

  22. #197
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Age
    62
    Posts
    154
    Thanked: 25

    Default Re: Definitive SA bush camp list

    Am I missing the point? If you want top notch facilities, why not camp at resorts? Is the idea of a bush camp not where you take everything you need and leave only your footprints and tent peg holes? Is the idea not to experience nature in secluded places where the only crowds are the birds and the bees and the noisy neighbors after 10 at night is the night jars and crickets? If there are some basic facilities, that is regarded as a bonus.


  23. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JanH For This Useful Post:


  24. #198
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Posts
    403
    Thanked: 344

    Default Re: Definitive SA bush camp list

    Quote Originally Posted by PRA View Post
    Christoff, please check you PM Inbox.
    Was at Mafikeng game reserve over the weekend, will give you a shout back just now

  25. #199
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Posts
    403
    Thanked: 344

    Default Re: Definitive SA bush camp list

    Quote Originally Posted by JanH View Post
    Am I missing the point? If you want top notch facilities, why not camp at resorts? Is the idea of a bush camp not where you take everything you need and leave only your footprints and tent peg holes? Is the idea not to experience nature in secluded places where the only crowds are the birds and the bees and the noisy neighbors after 10 at night is the night jars and crickets? If there are some basic facilities, that is regarded as a bonus.
    Agreed. What I don't find amusing though is when campsites (bush or otherwise) advertise something (like water) and then it isn't available. Now had I known upfront there's no water, no problem, I would just bring my own, but now, now I'm sitting at a campsite with no water because I was told otherwise.

  26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Christoff For This Useful Post:


  27. #200
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Age
    34
    Posts
    471
    Thanked: 46

    Default Re: Definitive SA bush camp list

    Quote Originally Posted by Christoff View Post
    Agreed. What I don't find amusing though is when campsites (bush or otherwise) advertise something (like water) and then it isn't available. Now had I known upfront there's no water, no problem, I would just bring my own, but now, now I'm sitting at a campsite with no water because I was told otherwise.
    Exactly.

  28. The Following User Says Thank You to rog163 For This Useful Post:


Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •