Malawi December 2018





Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    JHB
    Age
    57
    Posts
    118
    Thanked: 12

    Default Malawi December 2018

    This is our intended trip starting on December 8 for 5 weeks. We would welcome advice or suggestions regarding our choice of accommodations and routes. We will be traveling in a Defender that has been modified for us to sleep in. We are very interested in birding which is the main reason behind our travels.

    December 8 Saturday home to Elephant Sands 966km ( a long day) we have travelled
    extensively in Botswana so are dashing through.
    December 9 Sunday Kazangulu ferry (dreading this) to Maramba River lodge in Livingston 328k
    December 10 Maramba River lodge
    December 11 Tuesday Pioneer camp Lusaka 512km
    December 12 Wednesday wildlife Camp South Luangwa 612km
    December 13
    December 14
    December 15
    December 16
    December 17 Malawi Ngala beach lodge 495km
    December 18 Ngala beach lodge
    December 19 Singo Moyo 75km
    December 20 Singo Moyo
    December 21 Singo Moyo
    December 22 Nkhudze Lodge 403km
    December 23 Nkhudze Lodge
    December 24 Bushmans Baobabs 131km
    December 25 Bushmans Baobabs
    December 26 Kuchwe Trout 68km
    December 27 Kuchwe Trout
    December 28 Community wildlife Majete 139km
    December 29 Community wildlife
    December 30 Likhubula Forest Lodge 154km
    December 31 Likhubula Forest Lodge
    January 1 Deans Hill view 544km
    January 2 Pioneer camp Lusaka 544km
    January 3 Taita Falcon 544km Livingston
    January 4 Taita Falcon
    January 5 Nambwa Caprivi 354 km
    January 6 Nambwa
    January 7 Nambwa
    January 8 Mobola Lodge 238km
    January 9 Mobola Lodge
    January 10 Mobola Lodge
    January 11 Kalahari Rest 792km
    January 12 Home 685 km

    with this trip we will be exploring some parts of Zambia and doing a north to south meander down Lake Malawi. Also spending some time in Caprivi.

    We have omitted the Nyika Plateau because we just do not have the time. Please advise if this just has to be fitted in somewhere.

    Any other suggestions of wonderful spots we should not miss.

    some of these places have responded to emails and I have managed to book. Others have not, should I be concerned or will we get a campsite without problems over this period.

    i know it is going to be HOT!

    Malaria medication essential and I will also be taking some Coartem just in case.

    Hopefully not too many corrugated roads.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Gaborone
    Age
    69
    Posts
    6,870
    Thanked: 1014

    Default Re: Malawi December 2018

    Looks like a great plan but can I recommend to check (T4A) the travel times rather than distances to travel for the longer sections especially the cross border legs.
    There are some ambitious long distance sections which I think are a bit doubtful (Wildlife camp to Ngala Beach lodge and Taita Falcon to Nambwa)

    If you have a chance to modify the plan, include Livingstonia and Niyka Plateau and leave out some other stops.
    In my opinion, you try to pack to much into one trip, If I would do it I would concentrate on Zambia and Malawi and leave out Caprivi and Western Botswana.
    Kalahari Safari
    ORRA Call: WB58 | ICASA ZRF430
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45
    | Nissan Safari GU TD42 | B'rakah 4x4 Trailer
    E34 - 535i for a bit of nostalgia
    E39 - 540i for the open roads

  3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kalahari Safari For This Useful Post:


  4. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Somerset West
    Age
    49
    Posts
    229
    Thanked: 940

    Default Re: Malawi December 2018

    Yip, I would agree with above. Some distances are too long. Sounds like a fantastic trip but leave out the caprivi for now.

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to andrewdjulyan For This Useful Post:


  6. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Malawi
    Posts
    1,066
    Thanked: 1103

    Default Re: Malawi December 2018

    Quote Originally Posted by swamphen View Post
    This is our intended trip starting on December 8 for 5 weeks. We would welcome advice or suggestions regarding our choice of accommodations and routes. We will be traveling in a Defender that has been modified for us to sleep in. We are very interested in birding which is the main reason behind our travels.

    December 8 Saturday home to Elephant Sands 966km ( a long day) we have travelled
    extensively in Botswana so are dashing through.
    December 9 Sunday Kazangulu ferry (dreading this) to Maramba River lodge in Livingston 328k
    December 10 Maramba River lodge
    December 11 Tuesday Pioneer camp Lusaka 512km
    December 12 Wednesday wildlife Camp South Luangwa 612km
    December 13
    December 14
    December 15
    December 16
    December 17 Malawi Ngala beach lodge 495km
    December 18 Ngala beach lodge
    December 19 Singo Moyo 75km
    December 20 Singo Moyo
    December 21 Singo Moyo
    December 22 Nkhudze Lodge 403km
    December 23 Nkhudze Lodge
    December 24 Bushmans Baobabs 131km
    December 25 Bushmans Baobabs
    December 26 Kuchwe Trout 68km
    December 27 Kuchwe Trout
    December 28 Community wildlife Majete 139km
    December 29 Community wildlife
    December 30 Likhubula Forest Lodge 154km
    December 31 Likhubula Forest Lodge
    January 1 Deans Hill view 544km
    January 2 Pioneer camp Lusaka 544km
    January 3 Taita Falcon 544km Livingston
    January 4 Taita Falcon
    January 5 Nambwa Caprivi 354 km
    January 6 Nambwa
    January 7 Nambwa
    January 8 Mobola Lodge 238km
    January 9 Mobola Lodge
    January 10 Mobola Lodge
    January 11 Kalahari Rest 792km
    January 12 Home 685 km

    with this trip we will be exploring some parts of Zambia and doing a north to south meander down Lake Malawi. Also spending some time in Caprivi.

    We have omitted the Nyika Plateau because we just do not have the time. Please advise if this just has to be fitted in somewhere.

    Any other suggestions of wonderful spots we should not miss.

    some of these places have responded to emails and I have managed to book. Others have not, should I be concerned or will we get a campsite without problems over this period.

    i know it is going to be HOT!

    Malaria medication essential and I will also be taking some Coartem just in case.

    Hopefully not too many corrugated roads.
    Hi,

    I am going to change your Malawi plans a little bit, and then you can make up your mind.

    It's going to be hot but potentially also very wet , depending on what kind of rains we will get this December. I was in South Luangwa last December and it was very wet with some side roads inside the park impassable .
    Be prepared for rain, basically.

    As you leave south Luangwa , head for chipata ,cross into Malawi at mchinji and then head for kasungu and nkotakota, with your final destination being chinteche, where you will camp at Makuzi beach lodge. You will do it in one day.

    Spend at least 3 days there , they have some resident palm nut vultures of late.

    Ngala beach lodge, yes , why not...but Makuzi much better location.

    Singo Moyo...never heard of it .

    From the southern Lakeshore (nkhudze lodge) straight to liwonde national park (bushman baobab).

    Then according to your plan you go up to Zomba, then down the escarpment to majete, then back up the escarpment to Mulanje (likhabula). I would do Mulanje after Zomba, and then go down to majete .

    Since you are into birdwatching, elephant marsh is a must. Contact Jambo Africa, they will organise for you to stay a night in their lodge in Lengwe national park and then they will take you on a hoverboat onto the marsh, day trip, great birding .

    Spend a night or two in Blantyre afterwards , so we take a look at that defender, it might need some TLC by then ...

    At this stage you are one days drive from Moz island and the indian ocean, via Mulanje border. I would take the detour ...

    Then back to mchinji, chipata and Lusaka .

    Feel free to ask if you need more help.

    Cheers
    Last edited by tashtego9; 2018/10/23 at 12:00 PM.

  7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tashtego9 For This Useful Post:


  8. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    JHB
    Age
    57
    Posts
    118
    Thanked: 12

    Default Re: Malawi December 2018

    Oh great. This is exactly the advice I was looking for. Definitely going to look into exploring the elephant marsh.

    Advice on South Luangwa? Is wildlife camp the better of the camping options in the area?

    where to camp if we decide to detour into Moz?

    Thank you for taking the time to review my planning and if you don't mind I'm sure that as soon as we are able to work through the logistics of these ideas there are going to be a few more questions.

  9. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Malawi
    Posts
    1,066
    Thanked: 1103

    Default Re: Malawi December 2018

    Quote Originally Posted by swamphen View Post
    Oh great. This is exactly the advice I was looking for. Definitely going to look into exploring the elephant marsh.

    Advice on South Luangwa? Is wildlife camp the better of the camping options in the area?

    where to camp if we decide to detour into Moz?

    Thank you for taking the time to review my planning and if you don't mind I'm sure that as soon as we are able to work through the logistics of these ideas there are going to be a few more questions.
    No worries .

    -Luangwa: when I have been I have always stayed at various lodges (kafunta is my favourite). Wildlife camp has good reviews and might be your only camping option at the moment, but I have never camped there.

    - in Moz, there are decent beach chalets at Chocas, near Mossuril, a 45 mins detour from the tar road to Mozambique island . There is a small campsite next door but I am not sure about what the facilities are as I have never used it.
    There is no campsite on the island as far as I know.

    Try posting on the Drive Moz FB page, there will be people who have camped in the area.

    Cheers
    Last edited by tashtego9; 2018/10/23 at 05:21 PM.

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to tashtego9 For This Useful Post:


  11. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    East London
    Age
    66
    Posts
    4,685
    Thanked: 3741

    Default Re: Malawi December 2018

    I am first responding to your South Luangwa query. Yes for the Mfuwe sector of the park Wildlife Camp is probably the best and quietest.

    For the Nsefu sector of SLNP, which lies to the southeast and on the other side of the Luangwa River we (and many others) have really enjoyed camping at Zikomo Safari Camp.
    Contact details ph 260 216 246 202 or 260 973 741 708. Email, [email protected] Website, www.zikomosafari.com. You probably should book for both camps. Zikomo may close for the rains.

    I would split the 5 nights in SLNP more or less evenly between the two. The Nsefu sector has less visitors but both sections of the park are lovely and subtly different.

    I would not dread the Kazangula Ferry and border too much at all. If you get too wound up it could turn into an unpleasant experience. Rather regard it as a special African experience to be enjoyed in its uniqueness. I have crossed here about 8 times in all and have managed to enjoy each experience. Just relax and do not rush; be organized but do not over-plan or be impatient.

    Those stay-overs you have managed to contact and book, well and good, but you might have to just chance your luck on a few that you cannot contact. You might find that, as is the nature of such trips, that your schedule might change out of choice or necessity.

    For the birding your Southern African bird guide should suffice but perhaps think of taking Birds of Africa south of the Sahara by Ian Sinclair and Peter Ryan. Take some wild bird seed along as this will attract birds to your campsite (not allowed in national parks though).

    I think the advice given in the other responses to this thread need to be given serious consideration too.
    Landcruiser 76SW.

    “Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

    At least "Once a year go someplace you have never been before" Delai Lama.

    Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

  12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stan Weakley For This Useful Post:


  13. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    JHB
    Age
    57
    Posts
    118
    Thanked: 12

    Default Re: Malawi December 2018

    Thanks for your input Stan. Have made contact with Zikomo and they are unfortunately closed from end of November. Next time.

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to swamphen For This Useful Post:


  15. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    George
    Age
    46
    Posts
    431
    Thanked: 164

    Default Re: Malawi December 2018

    Quote Originally Posted by tashtego9 View Post
    Hi,

    I am going to change your Malawi plans a little bit, and then you can make up your mind.

    It's going to be hot but potentially also very wet , depending on what kind of rains we will get this December. I was in South Luangwa last December and it was very wet with some side roads inside the park impassable .
    Be prepared for rain, basically.

    As you leave south Luangwa , head for chipata ,cross into Malawi at mchinji and then head for kasungu and nkotakota, with your final destination being chinteche, where you will camp at Makuzi beach lodge. You will do it in one day.

    Spend at least 3 days there , they have some resident palm nut vultures of late.

    Ngala beach lodge, yes , why not...but Makuzi much better location.

    Singo Moyo...never heard of it .

    From the southern Lakeshore (nkhudze lodge) straight to liwonde national park (bushman baobab).

    Then according to your plan you go up to Zomba, then down the escarpment to majete, then back up the escarpment to Mulanje (likhabula). I would do Mulanje after Zomba, and then go down to majete .

    Since you are into birdwatching, elephant marsh is a must. Contact Jambo Africa, they will organise for you to stay a night in their lodge in Lengwe national park and then they will take you on a hoverboat onto the marsh, day trip, great birding .

    Spend a night or two in Blantyre afterwards , so we take a look at that defender, it might need some TLC by then ...

    At this stage you are one days drive from Moz island and the indian ocean, via Mulanje border. I would take the detour ...

    Then back to mchinji, chipata and Lusaka .

    Feel free to ask if you need more help.

    Cheers
    Great advice

    As indicated, S Luangwa will be a mess with the rain. The Nsefu sector will be particularly difficult as the main track through also becomes tricky with rain. If it has rained a lot - your only real option would be the main road coming in at the Mfuwe entrance.

    I came down from Nyika Plateau today - I would also not want to venture up there in the December rain. Birds were amazing though. The SA books just wont cut it though as there are too many new birds, even though the majority are the same. Unfortunately the E Africa App doesn't cover Malawi either. Stan's advice is probably best regarding the books. Between Southern Africa Roberts and The Birds South of the Sahara book, you should be fine. Oh bugger it, get the E Africa App as well

    I was most interested to drive from Kasungu to Nkhotakota the other day to see that African Parks have taken over management of Nkhotakota National Park. The section through the park is beautiful tall Miombo. Signs of elephant everywhere, although didn't see any.

    Enjoy the planning!
    Andrew


    Land Cruiser 76 (4.2)

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to AMacAfrica For This Useful Post:


  17. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    63
    Posts
    10,210
    Thanked: 2859

    Default Re: Malawi December 2018

    I am a massive fan of the Nyika Plateau - it is unlike any other place in Africa. The closest comparisons would be the Aberdares and the Cherangani Hills in Kenya, the Bale Mountains in Ethiopia, Mount Mulanje, and some of the more remote fynbos regions of the Western Cape. The Nyika has the bonus of having plenty of game, including elephants, leopards and the occasional lion, and trout in the streams and the dams if you are into fly fishing (they don't grow very big up there, but some great stream fishing is to be had on a nought, one or two weight rod). The Rumphi and North Rumphi Rivers are both great fun to fish.

    We have done the Nyika in the rainy season and it is magnificent. There are new orchids in flower every other day and the botanising in general is outstanding, the skies are clear and the burning season is over, you look DOWN on massive thunderheads building up every afternoon, the migrant birds are back, and game viewing is excellent. Yes, some tracks can become tricky, but taking them slowly, and walking anything that looks as though it is too close to a cliff or the edge of the plateau will keep you out of trouble. Check the bridges on the smaller tracks before crossing.

    Birding around the montane forest islands, like the Juniper, Zovo Chipolo and Chowo Forests is outstanding - I don't have my Nyika lists with me now, but there are a number of specials to be had. Besides a southern African bird book, an East African one would also be useful. And if you go there, be sure to spend a night or two at Vwaza Marsh at the base of the plateau - also some great birding, and wildlife.
    Last edited by Tony Weaver; 2018/10/24 at 12:20 AM.
    Tony Weaver

    1991 Land Rover 110 Hi-Line S/W 3.5l V8 carburettor
    Cooper Discoverer STT tyres, four sleeper Echo rooftop tent
    2012 Mitsubishi Outlander.

    Previously Land Rover 1968 SII, 1969 SIIA, 1973 SIII, 1983 Toyota HiLux 2litre, 2006 Land Rover Freelander TD4 HSE.

  18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tony Weaver For This Useful Post:


  19. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    East London
    Age
    66
    Posts
    4,685
    Thanked: 3741

    Default Re: Malawi December 2018

    The most popular and probably the best East African bird field guide is Birds of East Africa, Stevenson and Fanshawe. When I last looked a few years ago the East African bird calls were not available but worth following up.
    Landcruiser 76SW.

    “Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

    At least "Once a year go someplace you have never been before" Delai Lama.

    Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

  20. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Malawi
    Posts
    1,066
    Thanked: 1103

    Default Re: Malawi December 2018

    This supplement to Newmans, specific to Malawi, has been out a while , and I find it very useful.

    https://www.amazon.com/Birds-Malawi-.../dp/1868124185

    Northern Malawi experiences an overlap between the southern Africa zone and the eastern and central Africa zone, making for interesting sightings .

    Nyika is indeed great, in the rains too!
    Last edited by tashtego9; 2018/10/24 at 09:24 AM.

  21. The Following User Says Thank You to tashtego9 For This Useful Post:


  22. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Lausanne
    Age
    61
    Posts
    29
    Thanked: 0

    Default Re: Malawi December 2018

    Hi guys
    Thanks for the info on Malawi.We are also planing a trip starting in Windhoek next october via Zambia and would like to know if campsites and logde have to be prebooked or can we just take a chance? Would a 4x4 hilux be ok for this trip or maybe a landcruiser (rental)
    Thankyou plume.

  23. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Gaborone
    Age
    69
    Posts
    6,870
    Thanked: 1014

    Default Re: Malawi December 2018

    Quote Originally Posted by Plume View Post
    Hi guys
    Thanks for the info on Malawi.We are also planing a trip starting in Windhoek next october via Zambia and would like to know if campsites and logde have to be prebooked or can we just take a chance? Would a 4x4 hilux be ok for this trip or maybe a landcruiser (rental)
    Thankyou plume.
    Hi there, salutations pour les Suisses,

    I just done the Zambia trip and didn't book a single place, all went well and we were not turned away once.
    Travelled West Zambia coming from Caprivi, then through into Kafue and to Lusaka.

    There are some great spots of the ones that look a bit into adventure, PM me if you want to spend some time in Western Zambia.

    Bonne chance
    Walter
    Kalahari Safari
    ORRA Call: WB58 | ICASA ZRF430
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45
    | Nissan Safari GU TD42 | B'rakah 4x4 Trailer
    E34 - 535i for a bit of nostalgia
    E39 - 540i for the open roads

  24. The Following User Says Thank You to Kalahari Safari For This Useful Post:


  25. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    JHB
    Age
    57
    Posts
    118
    Thanked: 12

    Default Re: Malawi December 2018

    Thanks to all for amazing advice. A little restructuring of the trip plan is on the cards. The detour to Moz is sounding very interesting. Can you give a bit of detail regarding the border crossing and also the road condition to the coast.

    Maybe be we should also return to Johannesburg via Moz but I think this is now going a little too far out of our comfort zone and is probably worth a whole other expedition.

  26. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Malawi
    Posts
    1,066
    Thanked: 1103

    Default Re: Malawi December 2018

    Quote Originally Posted by swamphen View Post
    Thanks to all for amazing advice. A little restructuring of the trip plan is on the cards. The detour to Moz is sounding very interesting. Can you give a bit of detail regarding the border crossing and also the road condition to the coast.

    Maybe be we should also return to Johannesburg via Moz but I think this is now going a little too far out of our comfort zone and is probably worth a whole other expedition.
    -Malawi to Moz island

    I usually leave Blantyre around 5 am, so to be at the border in Mulanje at 6 or just after , opening time.
    It's normally a smooth border crossing.
    On the Moz side you get your passport stamped and your TIP type thing and you buy the insurance from a shack, pay in meticals or USD.
    Once you are through the border you drive a couple of Kms and you are in Milange town.
    From here you head for Mocuba. The road is new and almost finished , last time I want tru a few months ago there were 15 or so Km left to do. In Mocuba continue towrds Nampula.

    By the time you are in Nampula it will probably be early afternoon, depending on the speed you travel at. Continue towards Nacala until, after a couple of hours , you come to a junction, clearly signposted , where you take the right turn for Mozambique island.
    We usually get there around 5.30 or 6.

    As I said it's tarred all the way and as you pass you me big towns there's plenty of filing stations .

    The resort/chalets i stay at, Carrusca, is in village called chocas, there's a sign on the main tar road to moz island. It's a 45 mins drive down a dirt road that varies from good , to bad to atrocious depending on the precipitation.
    December is usually ok as northern coastal Moz has later rains compared to the mainland . The sea and beaches are beautiful, very laid back, very few tourists compared to southern Moz.

    If you don't want to drive all day you can break up the trip from Malawi and stay the night in Nampula.

    Apart from those few kms near milange, it's all good tar , but pot holes do appear in the rainy season , especially on the last stretch between Nacala and Moz island , so caution is needed. The road to moz island ends with a long narrow bridge so you actually drive on the island.

    That's the Malawi to moz island trip for you, sorry I ramble on...

  27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tashtego9 For This Useful Post:


  28. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    UK
    Age
    62
    Posts
    1,525
    Thanked: 1009

    Default Re: Malawi December 2018

    Quote Originally Posted by Stan Weakley View Post
    The most popular and probably the best East African bird field guide is Birds of East Africa, Stevenson and Fanshawe. When I last looked a few years ago the East African bird calls were not available but worth following up.
    Stevenson and Fanshawe’s Birds of East Africa is available as an app complete with bird calls. It is considered the definitive guide for East Africa. With that and “Birds of Africa South of the Sahara” you should have it covered. I understand that a Zambian bird book is being compiled.

  29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wazungu Wawili For This Useful Post:


  30. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Malawi
    Posts
    1,066
    Thanked: 1103

    Default Re: Malawi December 2018

    Quote Originally Posted by swamphen View Post
    This is our intended trip starting on December 8 for 5 weeks. We would welcome advice or suggestions regarding our choice of accommodations and routes. We will be traveling in a Defender that has been modified for us to sleep in. We are very interested in birding which is the main reason behind our travels.

    December 8 Saturday home to Elephant Sands 966km ( a long day) we have travelled
    extensively in Botswana so are dashing through.
    December 9 Sunday Kazangulu ferry (dreading this) to Maramba River lodge in Livingston 328k
    December 10 Maramba River lodge
    December 11 Tuesday Pioneer camp Lusaka 512km
    December 12 Wednesday wildlife Camp South Luangwa 612km
    December 13
    December 14
    December 15
    December 16
    December 17 Malawi Ngala beach lodge 495km
    December 18 Ngala beach lodge
    December 19 Singo Moyo 75km
    December 20 Singo Moyo
    December 21 Singo Moyo
    December 22 Nkhudze Lodge 403km
    December 23 Nkhudze Lodge
    December 24 Bushmans Baobabs 131km
    December 25 Bushmans Baobabs
    December 26 Kuchwe Trout 68km
    December 27 Kuchwe Trout
    December 28 Community wildlife Majete 139km
    December 29 Community wildlife
    December 30 Likhubula Forest Lodge 154km
    December 31 Likhubula Forest Lodge
    January 1 Deans Hill view 544km
    January 2 Pioneer camp Lusaka 544km
    January 3 Taita Falcon 544km Livingston
    January 4 Taita Falcon
    January 5 Nambwa Caprivi 354 km
    January 6 Nambwa
    January 7 Nambwa
    January 8 Mobola Lodge 238km
    January 9 Mobola Lodge
    January 10 Mobola Lodge
    January 11 Kalahari Rest 792km
    January 12 Home 685 km

    with this trip we will be exploring some parts of Zambia and doing a north to south meander down Lake Malawi. Also spending some time in Caprivi.

    We have omitted the Nyika Plateau because we just do not have the time. Please advise if this just has to be fitted in somewhere.

    Any other suggestions of wonderful spots we should not miss.

    some of these places have responded to emails and I have managed to book. Others have not, should I be concerned or will we get a campsite without problems over this period.

    i know it is going to be HOT!

    Malaria medication essential and I will also be taking some Coartem just in case.

    Hopefully not too many corrugated roads.
    As an alternative to bushman's baobabs, this campsite could also be considered in Liwonde National park.


    http://www.liwondesafaricamp.com/accommodation.html

    It has good reviews. I am going to check it out next weekend.

    Cheers

  31. The Following User Says Thank You to tashtego9 For This Useful Post:


  32. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    JHB
    Age
    57
    Posts
    118
    Thanked: 12

    Default Re: Malawi December 2018

    I would love to hear what it was like when you come back. Enjoy your break.

  33. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Prague
    Age
    57
    Posts
    359
    Thanked: 92

    Default Re: Malawi December 2018

    I am fan of Lake Malawi/Tanganyika cichlids (snorkelling), Vwaza marsh and Nyika plateau. Anything north from Cape Maclear is not worth to check in for me. If it is my trip, these three places would be essential for me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •