Camping vehicle mods for my town and sometimes bush 4X4

Post Camping vehicle mods for my town and sometimes bush 4X4

Hi manne

Getting close to splashing out on a used 'Tuna or Prado.

Probably like most, it will be my bush & town car. So I don't want it kitted out for the bush when I am not there, i.e. most of the time.

Typically one needs a fridge, sliding drawers, table, cooker, roof-top tent, water tank, gas bottle holder, built in kitchen cupboard, solar panned, dual battery & electrics, awning, jerrycan holders, long range tanks, side prep table, ammo box, shower, etc, etc

But I am not entering the 4x4 Olympics. Typically I go to Bots, Namibia, Zim, mix of campsites and affordable lodges. Also, I want the fittings - as far as possible - to be removable for town life.

So my question: Please give me advice on the kind of kit I should (and should not) get fitted into my vehicle. What do you find you really need, and any suggestions to get them removable. Less is more !
    (Not talking about actual camping equipment: chairs, pooitjie, braai-grid, stretcher, lamps etc, just the actual fittings)
    Failed the physical for the Groot Trek

Default Re: Camping vehicle mods for my town and sometimes bush 4X4

Its easy actually.
    Fit the second battery charger cables in the car.
    Mount the dual battery in a box with plugs that can plug into the charge cables when needed.
    Fit the fridge slider permanently and cut a piece of plank to have it level when the fridge is not sitting on the boot.

Then mount the rest of what you need on a nice 4x4 capable trailer. .

Easiest thing to remove is a trailer hooked behind your town car.

Tonge in cheek but thats what we do and it works the best and cheapest.
    Last edited by WillysCJ; 2018/10/23 at 06:03 AM.
    Gerhard
    -------------------------------------------------------
    Jeep Grand Cherokee WK2
    Mercedes GLA 2.0 diesel (SWAMBO)
    And a Summit Everest trailer that SWAMBO loves.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to WillysCJ For This Useful Post:

Default Camping vehicle mods for my town and sometimes bush 4X4

Quote Originally Posted by WillysCJ View Post
    Then mount the rest of what you need on a nice 4x4 capable trailer.
    If you donít often drive through crazy deep sand then I will second what WillysCJ said, mount everything in and on a trailer.

The easier it is to get your kit packed and unpacked the more you will want to go camp.

Or you can build you own drawer system that can be removed in 5min (if built right), but remember youíll always hear something rattle if you have it inside your SUV

Frontrunner roof rack with a table unit that can slide in under the rack, and RTT on top of rack.

Space and weight will be your enemy, collapsible chairs like the frontrunner director chairs take almost zero space. Personally I will never add steel bumpers to a vehicle again, itís heavy and expensive, you donít get that money back when you sell the car again. Rather spend that money on good camping kit.

Iím not a frontrunner agent, promise but also loot at their upright water tanks with wheel arch cutouts.

Something I built back in the day for my FJ: (but have opted for a hilux this year)

https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...-Cruiser-story

And later a couple of big mods/rebuilds:

https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...06#post3515906

But since then Iíve learned a few things more and was able to do this for a friendís tiguan:

https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...13#post4001113

And

https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...07#post4011107
    Last edited by MrTolbos; 2018/10/22 at 10:41 PM.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrTolbos For This Useful Post:

Mr Tolbos

Seriously impressed !
    Unfortunately I don't have your DIY skills.

A question: was the reason you did this so that the fittings could be removed - or is that just what you do ?
    Failed the physical for the Groot Trek

Quote Originally Posted by WillysCJ View Post
    Its easy actually.
    Fit the second battery charger cables in the car.
    Mount the dual battery in a box with plugs that can plug into the charge cables when needed.
    Fit the fridge slider permanently and cut a piece of plank to have it level when the fridge is not sitting on the boot.

Then mount the rest of what you need on a nice 4x4 capable trailer. .

Easiest thing to remove is a trailer hooked behind your town car.

Tonge in cheek but thats what we do and it works the best and cheapest.
    +1

Exactly my setup.

You will quickly become frustrated with taking things off and (finding the time to) putting them back on. Better everything stays in the trailer.

And one tends to forget stuff at home with all the off and on loading, been there.
    Jeep Grand Cherokee 2002 4.7 V8

Quote Originally Posted by Cape Town View Post
    Seriously impressed!

A question: was the reason you did this so that the fittings could be removed - or is that just what you do ?
    Thanks The Fj drawers was built in semi permanently, took about a hour to get everything out and seats back in if I was alone. My original design was a bit wonky so everything after that was made to fit, and kind of stay that way. But we are only 2 people and it was my camp car, didnít really mind leaving everything in there permanently.

The drawers in tiguan however can be taken out by one person in a minute: plug out 12V cable, take out the crates and fridge, loosen the straps, and lift the drawers out.
    They mainly use the car for their daily, so they will pop in the drawer system just before going camping.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MrTolbos For This Useful Post:

Same situation, we traveled for 3 years in a kitted Pajero and loved every minute of it. However i would sweat blood and tears every time I loaded it because of the weight. It creeps up on you very quickly for an extended trip. We now have a Gen 3 Pajero and share the weight between the drawer system in the rear (third row seats removed) and the trailer (Bundutop on the trailer)

This has made a considerable difference in the ease of which we travel. Our trailer is less than 750 kg GWM but can carry 450 kg as well as the tent. Rough roads and tough conditions are done without worry. The trailer can take it and it takes the heavy lifting away from the main vehicle.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6396.resized.JPG 
Views:	41 
Size:	131.4 KB 
ID:	506828   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6397.resized.JPG 
Views:	48 
Size:	159.3 KB 
ID:	506829   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6402.resized.JPG 
Views:	45 
Size:	379.5 KB 
ID:	506830  
    Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Stranger For This Useful Post: