How many panels can you install?

Default How many panels can you install?

Hi to all.

Please excuse any errors I make here, I am an amateur at this.

We have installed a Goodwe hybrid grid tie inverter, 5Kw unit. We make about 40 kw a day from the unit.

It was supplied with 20 panels - 2 strings of 10 connected to the 2 MPPT inputs.

Due to the construction of our house in a "H" shape, we throw shade over the north facing panels till about 09h00.

To get around this we have added a 3rd string of 10 panels on our east facing roof.

So now at night we turn off one of the north facing strings and turn on the east facing string. So still only 20 panels connected at any one time to the inverter. Start making power from about 05h30.

At about 09h00 when the full sun is on the 20 north facing panels, we turn off the east panels and turn on the north facing string that was off, so only 20 panels on at a time.

All well and good, works like a bomb.

BUT, BUT, BUT - we have now learned on an overcast day, we can turn on all 30 panels and make more power from less light. All well and good.

But what will happen if the clouds suddenly disappear and all 30 panels are producing max power?

The installer has explained to me that basically my system max spec is a day in October where because of roof angles etc, that is the day my 20 panels will make the most power ever if the sky is clear and that is the maximum input the inverter can handle. Lets call this the "perfect day".

So, all other days we can make less power because of angles, cloud etc etc. This seems wrong.

On a cloudy day, we could do with 40 panels, not 20. Why can we not just put more panels up than needed on the perfect day, but each other day we could make the "perfect day" if we could have 40 panels on line all the time, but the inverter must only take what it can handle max.

Does this make sense or am I lost here? Why are we limited like this?? Or are we?

Any advice appreciated here.

Cheers.
    Karooview Cottages
    Prince Albert
    www.karooview.co.za

4x4 and Caravan Friendly
    Outdoor plug points

Default Re: How many panels can you install?

Not that I can answer the question, but what size panels are they. I知 assuming that thecombined output of all together is more than you think the inverter can handle ...
    Love your neighbour. That痴 about it, it値l be the world we want.

Hi Gungetts.

I think they are 330watt, I know the 10 combined max out the allowable input on one MPPT, or, all 20 max out both MPPT and is the max allowable you can connect to the inverter.

Or is it That is my question.

Can I not just connect 40 panels in total to the unit and it only takes in what it can use safely?

Cheers.
    Karooview Cottages
    Prince Albert
    www.karooview.co.za

4x4 and Caravan Friendly
    Outdoor plug points

Ok, an answer in from another web site. Seems like I am not the only one asking this question, but the answer is not what I hoped to hear. So now I have to look for another means of putting up extra panels, then the step the power down to the max the inverter can handle.

Or, can I rely on fuses or circuit breakers to protect the incoming power from exceeding what the unit can handle??

But what will happen if the clouds suddenly disappear and all 30 panels are producing max power?

Good day LLTHB.

I asked Goodwe this very question, should the total max power exceed the MAX input of the inverter, it will blow the interver, see copy of email below.
    No code has to be inserted here.

When the PV array operates at full load 6600W, the inverter will be broken, please reduce the power of PV array. Best Regards Oliver Shen Overseas L2 Technical Support Engineer GOODWE POWER SUPPLY TECHNOLOGY CO.,LTD. 覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧 M+86 15062346311T+86 512 67375149 A189 Kun Lun Shan Rd, Suzhou, Jiangsu, China
    发件人: Antony Naude [mailto:[email protected]]
    发送时间: 2018年9月25日 17:53
    收件人: Oliver Shen
    主题: Re: Reply: Correct version

Good day sir,

If you say the MAX is 6500 and my PV array is 6600, what will happen?

Karooview Cottages
    Prince Albert
    www.karooview.co.za

4x4 and Caravan Friendly
    Outdoor plug points

The panels are specced accoring to the max input power the inverter/charge controller can handle.

You may be better off adding a second unit for the one bank, or will have to upgrade the inverter.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to SAND For This Useful Post: