Which Tyres would you choose. - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: Which Tyres would you choose.

We're all entitled to our opinions, which are usually based on personal experience and will differ much according to the vehicles we drive, and our on- and off road driving habits, but fortunately 2 South African 4x4 magazines have recently done tyre shootouts which could serve as a guide for decision-making as to what brand to go for.

Be sure to check out: https://www.sa4x4.co.za/sa4x4s-giant-all-terrain-tyre-test/

And also download this pdf file: file:///C:/Users/HP/Downloads/DriveOut%20all%20terrain%20shootout%20(1).pdf (mentioned in another thread)

Both magazine tests regard Goodyear Wrangler Adventurer highly (1st and 2nd) but SA4X4 are less enthusiatic about BFGs, rating them in last place (11th!). I wonder why Andrew St. Pierre White raves about them so - could it be that he's sponsored by BFG?
    Last edited by bigjimbobjones; 2018/10/22 at 08:07 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to bigjimbobjones For This Useful Post:

Bikeman,

Last year put up new tires on my Fortuner (4x4 diesel derivative). All I can say is a lot of times you pay for the name and a lot of times you pay for the rubber. I fitted a set of the new Grabber AT3. Had a host of problems with them ( 2,5 sets in total) which I documented somewhere on the forum. Ended up fitting Continental CrossContact ATR's (70/30 tires) with which I am very happy at this stage and not had a single problem yet (25 000 kms). They are perfect for their intended use. Fuel consumption about 15-20% better than with the General Grabber AT3s and 7-10% better than Bridgestone Dueller D694. My vehicle is used as a daily commute and recreational weekend use, nothing too serious and the occasional Nam trip and gravel roads (Nam not on this set yet).

Each person's scenario differs. You say you drive 80% tar and 20% other. I say it depends on what that 20% other is. If it is just gravel roads on weekends to a friends or family's farm house, is a 50/50 tire like the Goodyear or BFG really necessary? Rather look at a tire which is spec'd for your requirements. Michelin, Continental etc. all give indications on the amount of on-road and off-road travel bias. If you do heavy 4x4 tracks over the weekends, buy something decent like BFG or what ever you see fit, but know that any tire towards an off-road bias is likely to impact on-road performance. Also have a look at the tyre's EU label if you need to factor in fuel consumption and noise. Apparently A to B, B to C etc indicates approximately 1l per 1000km if that is applicable you (on a 4l V6 either or?)

If the day ever comes where I start using my vehicle only for long weekends and holiday trips I'll buy something like BFG KO2 as I try not to drive like a maniac on these trips and would want reliability in Nam or Botswama deep bush lands. Until then, I buy the best I can justify. The only part of your vehicle touching the road and keeping you and your family safe are tires. Don't skimp on them and don't buy something you do not need based on the looks or hearsay.

K

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Koggelmander For This Useful Post:

Got a quote from Dunlop on Friday for R135K....... They added an additional number Lol.......

Name:  Dunlop quote.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  202.0 KB

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Ahmedi For This Useful Post:

Fitted the Hankooks. Will see how they go and report back. Thanks for all the advice, much appreciated !!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to bikeman For This Useful Post:

I got 63k kms out of my first set of BF`s on my Ford Ranger with no punctures. Vehicle mainly used for off road trips, including Caprivi, Kaokoland and Van Zyl`s pass. But I liked the "looks" of the new BF`s KO2 and fitted a new set. Even fitted the same size BF`s on my Imagine Trailvan.
    Alit

Wees altyd bedagsaam teenoor ander.

Just purchased my second set of four Firestone Destinations from SupaQuick Vredenburg.
    The first set of four lasted 66 000 km, at least half off tar, on a Fortuner V6 4x4.
    First set in 2015 cost R2000 each, now R 2200 each.
    Includes all road warranty.
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it; if it works don't change it.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to CPS For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by bikeman View Post
    Fitted the Hankooks. Will see how they go and report back. Thanks for all the advice, much appreciated !!
    In my my second set of Hankooks. Still no problems and they are also great on tar.

Done plenty of trails including the tankwa.

Quote Originally Posted by bigjimbobjones View Post
    We're all entitled to our opinions, which are usually based on personal experience and will differ much according to the vehicles we drive, and our on- and off road driving habits, but fortunately 2 South African 4x4 magazines have recently done tyre shootouts which could serve as a guide for decision-making as to what brand to go for.

Be sure to check out: https://www.sa4x4.co.za/sa4x4s-giant-all-terrain-tyre-test/

And also download this pdf file: file:///C:/Users/HP/Downloads/DriveOut%20all%20terrain%20shootout%20(1).pdf (mentioned in another thread)

Both magazine tests regard Goodyear Wrangler Adventurer highly (1st and 2nd) but SA4X4 are less enthusiatic about BFGs, rating them in last place (11th!). I wonder why Andrew St. Pierre White raves about them so - could it be that he's sponsored by BFG?
    Andrew openly on many videos including his intro states he is sponsored by BF Goodrich.

I would use them if I could atfford them and if my car was only for offroad.

Quote Originally Posted by Walnut View Post
    Andrew openly on many videos including his intro states he is sponsored by BF Goodrich.

I would use them if I could atfford them and if my car was only for offroad.
    Yes he is sponsored but he has chosen them for a very long time before being sponsored because they can take the punishment and proved their worth to him on his expeditions.

I was a BFG detractor for a long time but after owning the KO2 for over 43,000km all I can say is that I am very happy with my choice considering I do hectic trails every now and then.

The reality is that they arenít great on wet tar, but I have adjusted my driving style when needed in those conditions.

Horses for courses I say
    2014 Pajero 3.2DiD SWB

15. The Following User Says Thank You to KurtG For This Useful Post:

I would go with the Goodyear Wranglers or General Tyres. I would say that they are better value for money - there are possibly better tyres out there but the price does not justify that little bit extra.

17k or 11k, I agree with Jelo, that is a ripoff, I am sure you can find a much better deal.
    Suzuki Jimny 2017
    Radical cups
    Steering damper
    Front Runner roof rack
    Floor board

Quote Originally Posted by Dungbeetle View Post

Will be fitting the BFG KO2 soon, regardless what they price vs others
    OK so I fit the new set of KO2's yesterday, ODO @ 819 962km...let's see how long they last
    2000 Patrol GU 4.2D(onkey) beyond 818 000 km

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3