Groot winterhoek (De Tronk)

Default Groot winterhoek (De Tronk)

Good Day Gentlemen,

I have been contracted to revamp the huts at De Tronk in the Groot Winterhoek reserve.

This gives me access to the jeep track from Cape Natures Groot winterhoek wilderness offices to De Tronk huts.

I've been to the Huts with the reserves 4x4 (2.5 tdi NP300 hardbody 4x4) the road to there and back was rough and slow.

I am not convinced that the NP300 has enough clearance as ive felt and heard the under carriage taking a beating over certain areas.

Has anyone got experience with this route where they would be able to advise a suitable single cab 4x4 to purchase for this route.

Kind regards,
    Soetsuur.

Default Re: Groot winterhoek (De Tronk)

I've walked the route, not driven it - what you need is a bakkie with firm suspension, solid front axle and good clearance: I would think that an older Toyota HiLux, Land Cruiser, or Land Rover 110 or Defender would do it. I presume you would be carrying in building material and labourers, so the firmer the suspension, the better. I'm not familiar with the Nissan, but as far as I remember, they have softer suspension than the bakkies I've mentioned, and don't have solid front axles (I may be wrong).
    Tony Weaver

1991 Land Rover 110 Hi-Line S/W 3.5l V8 carburettor
    Cooper Discoverer STT tyres, four sleeper Echo rooftop tent
    2012 Mitsubishi Outlander.

Previously Land Rover 1968 SII, 1969 SIIA, 1973 SIII, 1983 Toyota HiLux 2litre, 2006 Land Rover Freelander TD4 HSE.

Indeed my thoughts on the nissan.

My finance manager has looked at a 2015 ranger, i however am not convinced this is the ideal vehicle for the job.

Ok so a quick search got me to a 2011 LC79 S/C land cruiser 4.0 V6 134000km on the odo going at R289000.00

Any thoughts ?

Quote Originally Posted by Soetsuur View Post
    Ok so a quick search got me to a 2011 LC79 S/C land cruiser 4.0 V6 134000km on the odo going at R289000.00

Any thoughts ?
    That's reasonable for a Cruiser with relatively low kms, and it will do the job, but if it is just for this one job, there are much cheaper options, like Hiluxes or Land Rover bakkies - it's not as if you are doing huge distances. The other option would of course be a bigger truck, but if I remember correctly, that track will battle to accommodate anything with a bigger wheel base than a standard bakkie?
    Tony Weaver

1991 Land Rover 110 Hi-Line S/W 3.5l V8 carburettor
    Cooper Discoverer STT tyres, four sleeper Echo rooftop tent
    2012 Mitsubishi Outlander.

Previously Land Rover 1968 SII, 1969 SIIA, 1973 SIII, 1983 Toyota HiLux 2litre, 2006 Land Rover Freelander TD4 HSE.