Nankang Conqueror AT

Default Nankang Conqueror AT

Good morning Got a good price on these, but still undecided between, nexen, grabbers and these. Anyone have these on?

Default Re: Nankang Conqueror AT

Is it the newer generation Conqueror or is ti the old Nankang N-830 Wide Conqueror?
    The latter is a very old tyre, it has been in the market for over 20 years.
    Since then tyre technology, as in tread pattern and rubber composition, has moved on. If you got quoted on the N-830 request a quote for the Nankang Ft-7, it is more modern tyre. For it's price it is a really good AT tyre giving you decent grip in all situations an AT tyre should and it does give decent mileage.

There seems to be a Nankang Conqueror AT-5 tyre out there, which is more modern. But I haven't seen it on the southern African market. If you get one of those, find out whether it is the LT version, as they got a 3 ply side wall and give better mileage in general.

Overall, the Nankang AT & MT tyres are good tyres, specially considering their price.

Otherwise look at Firestone Destination AT, too.
    Last edited by HugoNotte; 2018/10/19 at 12:16 PM.
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

Thanks for the reply, I checked and I believe its the old one. I have FT7s on now. Tough to find here though and I am thinking more in the line of Grabbers AT3's now. Any thoughts on them? Seems they always win tyre shootouts, not that I think those tests are extremely accurate.

I just put Nankang conquerors on the Treg. Think it is the NT 5 or something. Specifically for SUV's (265/65R1 Still too early to tell (only 3k km so far) but they seem OK for the price. Could not get Generals or Goodyear adventurers in Windhoek when I had to fit (and I couldn't wait due to one tyre being destroyed).

Good gravel handling so far. A bit noisy on tar/ravel but guess I was used to the super silent UHT's I had on before.
    VW Touareg V6 Tdi Escape
    Bush Lapa Boskriek 816

Eish I'm struggling with amount of options. Only problem I have with the generals are they only come 70's and I really want that extra height on my Hilux. I was also qoated the new LTX Michelins but they are a bit more pricey at R3250.00 incl. Also not sure how they would handle from Walvis to Maltahohe, Solitaire road does not mess around.

Quote Originally Posted by Spatanky View Post
    Eish I'm struggling with amount of options. Only problem I have with the generals are they only come 70's and I really want that extra height on my Hilux. I was also qoated the new LTX Michelins but they are a bit more pricey at R3250.00 incl. Also not sure how they would handle from Walvis to Maltahohe, Solitaire road does not mess around.
    Well, give the Nankangs a try? My dad drove them on his Hilux for almost 200k km (three sets). And he does about 60% gravel (Stays in Henties). He was very happy with them. But since then they became expensive in 15" size and he switched to another make which he is now trying.
    VW Touareg V6 Tdi Escape
    Bush Lapa Boskriek 816

I second that. I had the Nankang FT-7 and often drove the various gravel roads between Swakopmund and Windhoek. On my bakkie I lowered the pressure to 1.6 bar and never even had a scratch. It performs really well on gravel.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nys View Post
    Well, give the Nankangs a try? My dad drove them on his Hilux for almost 200k km (three sets). And he does about 60% gravel (Stays in Henties). He was very happy with them. But since then they became expensive in 15" size and he switched to another make which he is now trying.
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

The new michelins LTX 245/70R16 in Whk for NS2000.00 a tyre!

Only problem I have now with my set of NK7's is uneven ride. Any pothole or portion of tar fixed and the car sways incredibly. I also had to go for 2 wheel alignments in a row just to get the Hilux not swaying so much. I bought the bakkie with them already on and they lasted me about 37k km, dont know exactly what mileage they did prior though and they looked fairly newish (had 2 punctures, one tyre completely worn of on the outside). I have just under 3mm left but they dont look good anymore, lots of cracks etc and concerned about driving long distances.

Thanks for the responses guys, the Michelins I was quoted on was the latest iteration, think they called LTX Force, size is 265/70R16

Quote Originally Posted by Lappies View Post
    The new michelins LTX 245/70R16 in Whk for NS2000.00 a tyre!
    Oh yeah, decided to go for the GY Avd, AT, Trentyre has a special now, it the new Kevlar type 265/70R16 at 1950/t. Hard to ignore that...

Only problem I have now with my set of NK7's is uneven ride. Any pothole or portion of tar fixed and the car sways incredibly. I also had to go for 2 wheel alignments in a row just to get the Hilux not swaying so much. I bought the bakkie with them already on and they lasted me about 37k km, dont know exactly what mileage they did prior though and they looked fairly newish (had 2 punctures, one tyre completely worn of on the outside). I have just under 3mm left but they dont look good anymore, lots of cracks etc and concerned about driving long distances.

Thanks for the responses guys, the Michelins I was quoted on was the latest iteration, think they called LTX Force, size is 265/70R16
    If you had to go for wheel alignment repeatedly, that is certainly not caused by the tyres. It most probably indicates some problem with your front suspension and or axle. I would have that looked at before wearing down another set of tyres.
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

Quote Originally Posted by HugoNotte View Post
    If you had to go for wheel alignment repeatedly, that is certainly not caused by the tyres. It most probably indicates some problem with your front suspension and or axle. I would have that looked at before wearing down another set of tyres.
    I actually did about 15k km back all shocks were pap and both front coils snapped at the bottom, though they were still intact. Likely this also caused uneven wear. Happy now, I got the GY on this morning, they look quite nice and way more responsive. Just glad this whole tyre shopping is done for now, its quite tiring... bad pun intended