New 2019 Triton - Page 8

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: New 2019 Triton

Default Re: New 2019 Triton

Quote Originally Posted by Oubie View Post
    If I had the cash it would be a tough choice for me personally. The Triton is beautiful, and I'm a big Mitsu fan, but that 8-speed auto box in the new 2l Ranger is a big draw factor. It's a shame Mitsu didn't add the 8-speed Auto box from the new PS to the new Triton. Although I'm sure they eventually might.
    The new 2.0 Rangers are paired to a 10 speed auto.

If I had the cash it would be a tough choice for me personally. The Triton is beautiful, and I'm a big Mitsu fan, but that 8-speed auto box in the new 2l Ranger is a big draw factor. It's a shame Mitsu didn't add the 8-speed Auto box from the new PS to the new Triton. Although I'm sure they eventually might.

Before I bought my 2017 2.4 Triton, I took the Triton and the Amarok for a test drive, towing my loaded 1.6 ton trailer... Tested both vehicles on the same morning with the same trailer on the same piece of road... The Triton with 5-spd Auto towed better, and hence I bought the Triton again...

There are/were a few people that made the statement that there is absolutely nothing that comes near the Amarok 8-spd Auto (the gearbox that is) ...I have asked those members on this forum to please explain WHY that gearbox is the god of all gearboxes? In my opinion, it did not help with the towing as the 5-spd Auto Triton did a better job... It's not fuel consumption, as that is taken care off because of the 2.0 ltr motor (and not just the gearbox)... It does not shift any smoother than my 5-spd Auto... So WHAT makes this 8spd the ALFA and the OMEGA Nobody ever responded to my question and nobody ever gave me an answer to this...

So Oubie, maybe YOU can answer me ??

2017 Mitsubishi Triton 2.4 D/C 4X4 6 Auto Diesel
    Lynx Bashplate
    DIY Drawer system
    DIY Drop Fridge Slide

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SinWolf For This Useful Post:

Sin,you are spot on..I also drove the 8spd amarok and then the 5 spd triton and honestly i cant see what all the fuss is about.
    I also recently drove the 8 spd pajero sport and thought it felt really good but i can tell you the 6sp auto of the new triton feels pretty much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by SinWolf View Post
    Before I bought my 2017 2.4 Triton, I took the Triton and the Amarok for a test drive, towing my loaded 1.6 ton trailer... Tested both vehicles on the same morning with the same trailer on the same piece of road... The Triton with 5-spd Auto towed better, and hence I bought the Triton again...

There are/were a few people that made the statement that there is absolutely nothing that comes near the Amarok 8-spd Auto (the gearbox that is) ...I have asked those members on this forum to please explain WHY that gearbox is the god of all gearboxes? In my opinion, it did not help with the towing as the 5-spd Auto Triton did a better job... It's not fuel consumption, as that is taken care off because of the 2.0 ltr motor (and not just the gearbox)... It does not shift any smoother than my 5-spd Auto... So WHAT makes this 8spd the ALFA and the OMEGA Nobody ever responded to my question and nobody ever gave me an answer to this...

So Oubie, maybe YOU can answer me ??
    My fickle brain just says that at 120km/h an 8-speed or 10-speed box will sit at a lower rpm than a 5 or 6-speed. Fuel consumption is the only factor in that assumption. Since I don't have a trailer, towing is not part of the equation for me personally.
    Last edited by Oubie; 2019/06/03 at 08:19 PM. Reason: Spelling
    Iwan
    2007 Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2DiD SWB (Gen4)
    2001 Mitsubishi Colt Rodeo 2.8TD D/C 4x4 (sold)

My fickle brain just says that at 120km/h an 8-speed or 10-speed box will sit at a lower rpm than a 5 or 6-speed. Fuel consumption is the only factor in that assumption. Since I don't have a trailer, towing is not part of the equation for me personally.
    No... This assumption is unfortunately not correct (the fact that more gears give a lower RPM at 120km/h)… 5th or 6th gear in a 5 or 6 speed Auto gearbox can be chosen to be whatever they want it to be... It usually comes down to torque curves of the motor when they design these ratios...But it's very easy to confirm... Gear ratios are listed in spec sheets, so one can easily compare gear 8 of the Amarok with gear 5 of the 5-spd Triton

Lynx Bashplate
    DIY Drawer system
    DIY Drop Fridge Slide

No... This assumption is unfortunately not correct (the fact that more gears give a lower RPM at 120km/h)… 5th or 6th gear in a 5 or 6 speed Auto gearbox can be chosen to be whatever they want it to be... It usually comes down to torque curves of the motor when they design these ratios...But it's very easy to confirm... Gear ratios are listed in spec sheets, so one can easily compare gear 8 of the Amarok with gear 5 of the 5-spd Triton
    Logic suggests that 8 gears or even 10, like the new Ford, will rely on shifting the whole time to make sure the engine stays in the sweet spot. That alone should result in better consumption. The other benefit will be better performance, in particular when pulling a heavy load. The only "negative" is the likelyhood of the box shifting gears the whole time. I'm also sure the guys at ZF would have designed the box to cope with that.
    All the car needs is very good insulation and smooth diesel engine to mask the gear shifts.

Quote Originally Posted by RoelfleRoux View Post
    Logic suggests that 8 gears or even 10, like the new Ford, will rely on shifting the whole time to make sure the engine stays in the sweet spot. That alone should result in better consumption. The other benefit will be better performance, in particular when pulling a heavy load. The only "negative" is the likelyhood of the box shifting gears the whole time. I'm also sure the guys at ZF would have designed the box to cope with that.
    All the car needs is very good insulation and smooth diesel engine to mask the gear shifts.
    Yes... Logic suggests... But the Amarok 8-spd Auto is not significantly better with fuel consumption than the 2.4 5-spd Auto Triton... The difference (if any) is marginal... And THIS difference I attribute to the 2.0 ltr vs 2.4 ltr engine, and not the gearbox... We ALL know that smaller engines = better fuel consumption... Put a 1.6 ton boat behind the Amarok and the fuel consumption drops to LandCruiser V8 figures...

So again, my question as per post #142... Why is it that everybody praises the 8-spd Auto? What is it doing that the 5-spd can't ??

And will all the Amarok 8-spd Auto followers now jump on the 10-spd Auto Ford band wagon ??

Lynx Bashplate
    DIY Drawer system
    DIY Drop Fridge Slide

9. The Following User Says Thank You to SinWolf For This Useful Post:

I found this on a Popular Mechanics web page:
    Why More Gears?

According to Ford Motor Company's chief engineer of transmissions, Craig Renneker, more gears give powertrain engineers more gear spread to work with. This means first gear can be shorter for better off-the-line acceleration while the top gears can be taller for better fuel economy. Having more gears allows smaller, more economical engines to power larger vehicles or improves the efficiency of existing engines."If you had asked me five years ago whether an eight-speed would give better efficiency, I would have said no," Renneker says, "because the additional sixth clutch required for an eight-speed would have created more internal drag [parasitic energy loss] than the added gear span could offer. We've recently discovered how to reduce the clutch drag losses so that eight gears are beneficial. Now it makes sense to jump from the five clutches required for a six-speed, and the overall package saves 2 to 6 percent in fuel economy."Porsche spokesman Dave Engelman says his company's bold step to a seven-speed manual—a highly modified version of the current Porsche PDK automated manual—was also motivated by fuel economy. "Traditionally, Porsche models with manual transmissions hit their top speed in top gear (sixth). The new seventh gear is taller, lowering engine rpm at any given speed, thereby decreasing fuel consumption and CO2 output without compromising acceleration or top speed."How Many Is Too Many?

Each manufacturer answers this question differently. Beyond offering smoother shifts, better fuel efficiency, and improved acceleration, a higher gear count also helps marketing simply by giving customers the impression that the car is packed with sophisticated technology (wow, seven speeds!) But some automakers eschew new and higher ratios in the name of product reliability.Ford's Renneker says, "Even though one of our competitors is coming out with a nine-speed, we felt the added complexity wasn't beneficial. We can't really find the value in using nine gears right now. We can do everything we want, and what we think the customer needs, with eight."As for more than nine gears, Renneker says, "In the future, we may come to find a good arrangement, say, for example, for an 11-speed transmission. This could make sense if we can get the losses low enough, but first we'd need to find a good use for 11 speeds. Perhaps some specialized operation like an ultralow first creeper gear? We'll have to see.

Yes... Logic suggests... But the Amarok 8-spd Auto is not significantly better with fuel consumption than the 2.4 5-spd Auto Triton... The difference (if any) is marginal... And THIS difference I attribute to the 2.0 ltr vs 2.4 ltr engine, and not the gearbox... We ALL know that smaller engines = better fuel consumption... Put a 1.6 ton boat behind the Amarok and the fuel consumption drops to LandCruiser V8 figures...

So again, my question as per post #142... Why is it that everybody praises the 8-spd Auto? What is it doing that the 5-spd can't ??

And will all the Amarok 8-spd Auto followers now jump on the 10-spd Auto Ford band wagon ??
    I think part of the fuel consumption is probably just down to size, one of the biggest influences on fuel consumption is aerodynamics, and the Amarok is significantly wider than the Triton. It's also heavier. You can't beat physics. But I agree, my Amaroks were never fuel fairies.

But, that aside, what makes an auto good IMO, is not just the amount of gears and how smooth it is. It is also how it reacts when you slow down, what it does when you go down a mountain pass, how quickly it down-shifts when you want to accelerate and so on. And on all of those points, the Amarok with 8-speed ZF is superb. It anticipates when you slow down, and selects the right gear for when you then want to accelerate again - and gets it right almost without exception. It is VASTLY superior to the Toyota Autos that I have driven in this regard. When you go down a mountain pass, it will stick to a lower gear to help with engine braking - again better than the Toyotas. And it was also effortless when using cruise-control, it is so smooth and quick to react, that you stop caring about what gear you're in and just leave it to do it's job. On my Fortuner and FJ, the gearbox would drive me crazy, so much so, that in the end I just didn't use the damn cruise control. It takes too long to downshift when you hit an incline and then has to suddenly drop 2 gears to get back to speed.

In the Amarok, the gearbox also works well with an engine that doesn't have a really wide power band - so the 8 gears definitely help there. The towing gear in the Amarok Auto should be 6th - the direct gear - so that sort of negates the extra higher gears when towing.

Now, I haven't driven one of the latest Tritons, so if their auto is as good as the ZF - in terms of programming for what to do and when, then it should be good enough. I always thought the biggest issue with the Toyota Autos was the programming of the box - it took too long to downshift, and didn't anticipate when you want to get going again, so was caught in a too high gear. They were all smooth enough.

Also, the 2.4 probably has a slightly wider powerband than the 2.0l so that maybe means it can do without the extra gears.

My 4 Sped Auto 3.2 Triton only revs 100 rpm higher than my new 6 speed..at 120
    Last edited by Bostokkelos; 2019/06/04 at 01:29 PM.

Electric vehicles don't even have a need for gears

Order placed for new Triton. Just with tourney cover. Very few canopy options available. ZZTops or RSI. Anyone know about others please let me know.

2019 Triton Auto
    Sold - 2016 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport 2.5 DiD 4x4 a/t
    Jurgens XT140

Quote Originally Posted by Landslide View Post
    Order placed for new Triton. Just with tourney cover. Very few canopy options available. ZZTops or RSI. Anyone know about others please let me know.
    Congrats!!

The bin profile is the same as the 2017+ Tritons... So the previous GEN canopy will also fit...

Have a look at my canopy thread here...

https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...03#post4120203

Lynx Bashplate
    DIY Drawer system
    DIY Drop Fridge Slide

Also contact ledfly in silverton - they have great prices and well built canopies
    Mitsubishi Triton 3.2 DI-D 4x4
    BL925 - Ratel 4

Thanks, have decided to go with RSI.

2019 Triton Auto
    Jurgens XT140

Assuming the bakkie is used off road, lets say Botswana / Northern Nam holidays, why would one want an 8 speed auto rather than a 5 speed auto?

Is their a definite advantage for the buyer that seeks an off-road vehicle to go with a auto gearbox with so many gears?
    Last edited by Raider4x4; 2019/06/08 at 11:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Raider4x4 View Post
    Assuming the bakkie is used off road, lets say Botswana / Northern Nam holidays, why would one want an 8 speed auto rather than a 5 speed auto?

Is their a definite advantage for the buyer that seeks an off-road vehicle to go with a auto gearbox with so many gears?
    IMHO it has more to do with the engine than with the gearbox. The other day I drove in a D4D again and was amazed by its low speed torque. Something I have never seen in the T6 (2.2 and 3.2).
    Renault Duster 1.5Dci 4WD

Quote Originally Posted by JuanB View Post
    IMHO it has more to do with the engine than with the gearbox. The other day I drove in a D4D again and was amazed by its low speed torque. Something I have never seen in the T6 (2.2 and 3.2).
    I have always wondered how or why the 3.2 auto 4x4 Diesel was never given a 5th gear on their auto boxes for the Triton.

Eagle has landed and take delivery on Tuesday.
    Last edited by Landslide; 2019/06/19 at 03:41 PM. Reason: what

2019 Triton Auto
    Jurgens XT140

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Landslide For This Useful Post:

Eagle has landed and take delivery on Tuesday.
    Congratulations, please post your review/impressions.

On a serious note, what is the future of the Mitsubishi brand in SA?

It seems like more dealerships are closing down as opposed to new ones opening?

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast