How long will fridge on battery last in various scenarios - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: How long will fridge on battery last in various scenarios

I asked about running the load off the main battery a few days ago but unfortunately received no answers.
    https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...charger-bypass

I look forward to further comment over here

Quote Originally Posted by Woolf View Post
    I asked about running the load off the main battery a few days ago but unfortunately received no answers.
    https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...charger-bypass

I look forward to further comment over here
    I also use a WRND DC-DC charger/solar controller and it works really well.

Keep in mind that:
    1. The charger will sense your battery and charge it accordingly by adjusting the volt/amp output.
    2. Your battery will/can only except a certain amount of charge depending on its SOC.
    3. If you keep the battery above 50% (and you should) the WRND will be just fine.
    4. I was advised to charge my DC batteries at about 10% of their AH rating, 10amps on a 100ah battery. Anything more and you are shortening their lifespan.
    5. We can not expect to fully charge a DC battery in an hour or so as we do with cell phone batteries. It's going to take time. The quicker the charge the shorter the lifespan.
    6. Your vehicles alternator’s volt output should also play a role in your decision making more so than the amp output.

I agree with Fluffy, keep it simple. Fit the WRND as per instructions and relax and enjoy.
    Jeep Grand Cherokee 2002 4.7 V8

3. The Following User Says Thank You to DC Polokwane For This Useful Post:

Hello, I have been more than a year in the bush. Your fridge will work between 2 and 5 days.

Priority 1 - Keep the fridge on the shade, and ventilated. It makes a very big difference if the fridge is on the sun.
    Priority 2 - Open the fridge 3 times a day as a maximum.
    Priority 3 -Make sure your battery is fully charged and the battery keeps the charge. Driving one year on the bumpy bush roads means changing the battery every year.

I have a soft solar panel. It helps a lot. No need to have it on the roof of your car...you will never park your car on the sun.

Cheers/JC

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Jmoret1 For This Useful Post:

Hello, it is a lot of distortion here.

1- Your solenoid is there to protect the main battery, so that you can crank all time.
    2- Your fridge HAS to be connected to the second battery and ONLY the second battery! NO need to challenge this.
    3- The fridge will not always draw current. So expect minimum 48 hours’ battery life.
    4- If you run a freezer, adjust the temperature to -18 WHEN driving, and -6 WHEN camping (you don't need to keep your meat during 6 months, just one week).
    5-DC Polokwane is right. A lead battery has to be charged in 10 hours in order to preserve the lifespan of the battery. This is not the case of a lithium/ion battery.

And again, keep your fridge on the shade and ventilated. A 75 watts’ soft solar panel will help you a lot, to charge the second battery, not to power the fridge.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Jmoret1 For This Useful Post:

Hi all. I would like to introduce a different way of approaching the subject based on way too many hours of research and thought.

Only a NL 52 litre Weekender dual fridge freezer nčeds to charged off a second 105ah deepcell that can be charged by the alternator or otherwise a solar panel. Fridge is set to 4 degrees which means freezer set to -6 degrees. Draw is 1.2 to 2.6 amps per hour depending on amient etc. That temp setting is good enough as the freezer only takes meat for two for about 5 meals plus eg bacon for breakfasts. After that its meals from the fridge section and drawer system until you get to another butchery. Conservatively alternator puts back 10 amps per hour when driving. 100 watt 46 cell 18v panel (the standard) with a PWM controller (panel slides out from under front of roof rack shading the windscreen) minusing what the fridge takes will put back into the depcell between 9am and 4 pm and being realistic about 12 to 20 amps.

With these conservative parameters set-

I call my system the 4pm system. At 4pm every day ideally I want a full 105ah deep cell second battery so I have about 50 amps to handle the nightshift of 17 hrs until 9am the next morning. Thats the best you can do. How many amps the fridge klaps during the nightshift will vary but with 50 amps you should be fine in most conditions with amps left over. How many amps you have left over is always difficult to say - thats just the way it is.

Now it all depends what is planned the next day and on cloud cover. Mission come 4pm you want a full deepcell again with your 50 amps.

If you plan a morning and afternňon drive or you are heading to a dedtination and will only arrive in the afternoon its aĺl good. Solar when stationary is a bonus and just makes your 50 amps at 4pm a dead cert.

If you only plan a morning drive then you should drive long enough get the deep cell full again and solar can keep things ticking over until 4pm. Again all good. If its cloudy then the afternoon drive will most probably need to kick in but it may not need to be too long.

If you are going to park off all day and run the solar then you can see that come 4pm you will not have your 50 amps. If it has been overcast all day but really hot the fridge might even have eventually switched off to protect the battery from being overly discharged. So now its a pretty long afternoon drive. Begin to see that its all about that afternoon drive? See the same car doing this everyday - good bet they have a 12v fridge.

IF you want to park off all day and avoid an afternoon drive then Swambo and half your equipment stays behind to make way for a monster (in surface area and weight) 160 to 220 watt solar panel set up and pray for sun and be happy to sit and guard your investment all day unless somehow get that huge solar surface area fixed onto your vehicle/trailer - roof/roof rack area. For most - totally impractical.

1.2 amp per hour fridge draw in colder ambients x 17
    hrs = 20.4amps. On a sunny still cold day the 100 watt panel should put that back while keeping the fridge going bit the more day time temps go above 25c the ledd efficient the panel and the more the fridge draws so as the ambient goes up a point is reached where the panel is not going to replace during the day what was taken during the 17hr nightshift from the 4pm 50amp kick-off. The deficit come 4pm the next day might be small but can you meadure this? Can you be certain exactly how big the deficit is? Not really unless you make operating you fridge out there a science project with capital outlay for the extra equipment needed.

Bottom line come 4pm the next day after parking off all day is if the idiot light volt meter on the fridge does shoe the deep cell as being near full - go for the good old afternoon drive.

I always battle typing on a phone. Forgive typing errors - last sentence = if volt meter on fridge at 4pm does not show battery is full or near full then go for an afternoon drive. Thats pretty much the bottom line.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3