Would you buy a Garmap64S for city navigation?

Default Would you buy a Garmap64S for city navigation?

I can get my hands on a Garmin GPSMAP64S for quite a good price. I want to use it for walking in cities while touring and I know you can purchase City Maps from Garmin for various countries.I was in Venice recently and navigation was difficult with a phone as battery life is limited but apparently the Garmin has a 16Hr battery life . I have the normal Garmin Nuvi which will be able to download other maps but the battery does not last long when walking or is there another way to power it with an external power bank.

Default Re: Would you buy a Garmap64S for city navigation?

Car GPS units are far from ideal for walking / handheld use. Wrong shape and easy to damage. Handhelds are much better for this, as it is their main purpose.
    ZS6VL

3. The Following User Says Thank You to An3s For This Useful Post:

Yes ideal for your use

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dirtrob1 For This Useful Post:

I also agree that it should be fine. I had a 60 that worked from AA batteries. I would presume the 64 has the same. This makes it easy. Set the screen brightness as low as possible to preserve battery life even more.

Unless there is a specific reason for wanting to use a dedicated GPS, I think you are better off just using a modern smartphone. Especially in built-up areas like cities. Pre-download your Google maps for the area that you are exploring and you don't even need to be online. There are multiple alternatives. Use one of the many fitness tracker apps to log your route. Most of the functionality is available for free.

I have a Garmin 62 that I mainly use on the farm. It is a brilliant little GPS for its size. But I rarely use it anywhere else these days. This is of course a sign that I don't make it into the mountains nearly enough anymore, but that is a different story.

Nope.

Not used a dedicated GPS for years, having ditched my Oregon 500, years ago.

For city navigation then the dedicated GPS is becoming irrelevant.

When I’m visiting new areas like in Europe, UAE and Malaysia recently I just download the Google Maps in offline mode and be done with it.
    2015 Pajero Sport 4x4
    1996 3.5v6 Pajero (For Sale)

Carpe Diem Scrotum
    Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SimonB For This Useful Post:

I would guess if you went the dedicated GPS route, you would still be carrying your smartphone? So why not get a power bank instead of the gps and extend your phone’s battery life that way?
    Pure gps navigation can become difficult in densely built up areas. Smartphones use the cell networks to assist the gps navigation.
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

Thanks for all the replies , I will look into Google offline maps and see if it will work for the areas I am going to , the power bank is definitely an an option I had not thought about.

I have the Map62S and find I only use a Smartphone around town.
    If you are hiking in a remote off-map area that a map download wont cover, its the right tool for the job - small, portable, light and works on AA batteries (i use rechargeable NiMH) but you can get Li-Ion as well as normal AA batteries available anywhere....
    They start pretty quickly and I find that even in built-up areas they work well.
    Smartphone for the city, off-line maps and a powerbank.

2013 GV called James....
    Wizerd 40mm Lift
    Wizerd Underwear
    FR Slimline Roof-Rack
    FLI Rims & Grandtrek AT3's

It will not be a 'mistake' to use the Garmin and you do get (pricey) Garmin maps for it, but there are also (free) alternatives e.g. Open Source Maps (OSM) which you can download to the Garmin.

Don't know if tracking / recording of your travels will be of interest to you to keep afterwards? If it is you might consider to record it on the GPS, even if it is stowed in say your day pack. (eg I have tracks of almost all my overseas and holiday trips, it is important to me )

Personally I primarily use my smartphone for navigation in the concrete jungle these days, but I still like to use my Garmin Oregon 650 for navigating MTB (gravel) trails, when hiking etc.

(So either will work, you need to decide on the practicalities / application of each device for the specific use case. The 64s is relatively bulky though, and if only required for city nav it will most probably be a hassle to use.)
    Last edited by PieterOos; 2018/10/17 at 09:22 AM.
    Pieter
    Fortuner 4x4
    Echo 4

The phone seems like a good idea but about places where street names are non existent?

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Rodrigues View Post
    The phone seems like a good idea but about places where street names are non existent?
    A GPS has exactly the same problem. The maps are only as good as the data it gets, and many GPSs (including Garmin) share the same data, and issues. Bear in mind however that maps on smartphones have their data updated more often (as in, pretty much immediately).
    Last edited by SimonB; 2018/10/17 at 11:22 AM.
    2015 Pajero Sport 4x4

Carpe Diem Scrotum

16. The Following User Says Thank You to SimonB For This Useful Post:

Also, if you land e.g. in Spain (and France as well to a certain extent),you could have lots (100's probably) of street names prefixed with the same, e.g 'Rue'....(France) , Calle...(Spain), etc.

This can complicate navigation a bit
    Pieter
    Fortuner 4x4
    Echo 4

The other thing to consider is if you are travelling overseas with a Garmin, you need to buy additional mapsets
    2015 Pajero Sport 4x4

Carpe Diem Scrotum

Quote Originally Posted by SimonB View Post
    The other thing to consider is if you are travelling overseas with a Garmin, you need to buy additional mapsets
    Or load free OSM maps.
    Pieter
    Fortuner 4x4
    Echo 4

I nearly threw a Samsung android phone out the window yesterday when it got the Google Map pin position off Facebook so wrong we ended up in the JHB CBD instead of Modderfontein.

Where it sent us:

https://www.google.co.za/maps/@-26.2....0465812,17.5z

Where we were supposed to be:

https://www.google.co.za/maps/@-26.0.../data=!3m1!1e3

Pin worked perfectly on a PC browser and an Apple phone.

As you can see, the GPS points are not even close.

I do NOT like Google Maps on Android, this isn't the first time this has happened.

Oppers' brother tried to use Google Maps on Android to get to our place on Friday: it REFUSED to route him.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Ela Diablo: Land Rover S2A 109 PUP: SOLD

21. The Following User Says Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:

When using a so called smart phone for navigation, one should be aware of how smart it really is:
    The navigational accuracy differs between phones, few reviews take that into consideration. Many of the upper midrange phones these days do have rather decent gps accuracy. If you want to know more, search for the relevant phone here: www.notebookcheck.net

Then there are the different sensors that are used to help navigating, gps as well as mobile network and WIFI! networks. This might throw your phone's navigational accuracy out of the window, e.g. if using a mobile hotspot either on a different phone, tablet or portable wifi router. The phone's software considers known wifi networks as fixed reference points. If that reference point all of a sudden moves around with you, it can introduce a significant error.

Very often I have used my phone to navigate around JNB in rental vehicles. I found it worked really well, always had good results in the likes of Ford Fiesta, VW Polo etc. Then one day I got a Renault something and the phone really struggled to get signal and I ended up in the lesser desirable areas of JNB on my way from the airport to a new guesthouse I haven't been to before. So make sure that your phone does have good gps signal and mount it close to the windscreen.

Also, sometimes the gsm network signal seems to confuse the phone's navigation, depending on what network one is logged in. If unsure, go to settings, location, and switch to gps navigation only.

An inaccurate compass might confuse navigation, too. Recalibrate the compass every now and then and keep in mind, that a compass is always compromised when surrounded by lots of metal, e.g. in a car.

Lastly, Google maps is predominantly online navigation. If the internet signal is bad, it can play up and become pretty useless. For that, either use a different app (e.g. HERE or Maps.Me) or download an offline map in Google maps of the area you are going to travel.

Unfortunately cell phone navigation can be a bit tricky and if one relies on it, one should spend a little time on understanding how it works before using it.

At least in cities, be it JNB, CPT or overseas I have found cellphone navigation to work a lot better than the crappy little handheld gps that the car rental companies charge extra for. I really struggled with them, not giving me the proper destinations I wanted to go to etc.
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

23. The Following User Says Thank You to HugoNotte For This Useful Post: