No more campping in the Mara Reserve

Default No more campping in the Mara Reserve

Triangle website Monthly report March 2018;

The County Government has stopped camping in the main Reserve. A quick analysis showed that individual “beneficiaries” collected nearly all the booking and camping fees, leaving virtually nothing to the County.

https://www.maratriangle.org/november-2016-1/march-2018

Default Re: No more campping in the Mara Reserve

Sylvia

This was discussed a few weeks ago on the below thread.
    http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...a-camping-ban!

Everyone I have contacted is of the opinion that this only relates to unauthorized camping in the Maasai Mara Game Reserve. It does not apply to the Mara Triangle, and it does not apply to camping in the official public campsite at Sand River in the Reserve (having officially paid for camping at the gate and with the required paperwork).

This is from the Mara Triangle website

Camping in the Mara Triangle

Everybody is welcome to camp at the Mara Triangle's three public or five private campsites. No prior booking is required for our public campsites; for our private campsites, visitors are able reserve campsites through the booking form on this page.
    Last edited by Wazungu Wawili; 2018/04/01 at 03:04 PM.

The Triangle posted this new information today as you can see in the link I posted

Yes, I can see that it is in the Mara Triangle monthly report for March, and I was in email contact with the Mara Triangle staff during the month of March. They said the announcement from the County government did not affect the Mara Triangle.

If this announcement from the County Governor had affected the Mara Triangle, don’t you think there would be more than one sentence about it in the monthly report? The Mara Triangle wardens and staff would be jumping up and down in rage and lobbying hard to the central government. As it is, peace reigns in the Mara Triangle apropos camping there.

There is no need to cause panic and dismay.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Wazungu Wawili For This Useful Post:

I m sorry I don t understand your reaction.

The tittle and subject of this post is about the mara RESERVE.
    I have not mentioned the Triangle and I m not talking about the Triangle.
    As you can read in the Monthly report from this day they also talk only about the MAIN Reserve

From the Mara Triangle monthly report for January 2018. This, if it comes to fruition, is great news for the whole of the Mara.

The Chief Executive met with Governor S Tunai on the 5th to discuss a possible management contract for the main Mara. It was tentatively agreed that:

· The contract should be given to the Mara Conservancy;
    · Seiya Ltd would be the managing agent;
    · The Mara Conservancy would be responsible for all aspects of managing the Mara, with the exception of sub-contracting revenue collection. This is already contracted out to KAPS by the County;
    · The Mara Conservancy would retain 30% of revenue for management.
    Last edited by Wazungu Wawili; 2018/04/01 at 08:44 PM.

I had a email conservation with the HQ of the Triangle about the Sand River Campsite.
    This morning they gave me this answer;

It is true that camping in Greater Maasai mara has been stoped indefinantly and all guest who had planned to do comping will have to look for another place.
    You can decide to camp at Mara Triangle and our park tickets allow you to do all the game drives at Greater Mara without paying any extra fee.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sylvia000 For This Useful Post:

Thanks to Sylvia and Wazungu for the information updates. It would thus appear that in the Maasai Mara Game Reserve one cannot any longer camp at the Sand River Campsite, the only public or special campsite within the game reserve.

It appears that camping in the three public campsites in the adjoining Maasai Mara Conservancy (Mara Triangle) remains unchanged with public campsites near the OLOOLOLO Gate, ISEIYA Campsite near Mara Conservancy Headquarters and ELUAI Campsite near the Mara Serena Airstrip. The special campsites in the Triangle are also a possibility.

We were told by Wazungu that the Triangle was better administered and maintained than the Game Reserve and this was our distinct impression as well. So should the Mara Conservancy take over the running of the Game Reserve as well it would indeed be great news. I trust those with their ears closer to the ground with update this forum on any new developments.
    Stanley Weakley.
    Toyota Landcruiser 76SW 4,2L diesel.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...-6-SLOW-DONKEY
    OR
    http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stan Weakley For This Useful Post:

As I said in one of my replies to the previous thread on this same topic, I think this is 99% politics.

There is only one way to find out and that is to turn up at the gate into the Reserve and ask to pay to camp in the public campsite at Sand River. If they say no, it isn’t a million miles into the Triangle and the campsites there.

There have been incidents of unauthorized wild camping in the Reserve with “assistance” from unscrupulous people. Perhaps this is what is being stamped out, and good on them.

Also, the community conservancies surrounding the Reserve and the Triangle (that is the greater Mara) are leased out on concessions to conservation-minded luxury tented camps and they would be very upset with campers/budget tour operators setting up in these group ranches/conservancies which they are trying to conserve at huge costs to themselves.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Wazungu Wawili For This Useful Post:

Default Re: No more camping in the Mara Reserve

Hi all

I have been going to Sand River roughly once pr month for the last 4 years until April 2018. After the April ban, I have asked everytime I entered at Sekenani if Sand River is open. They are very adamant it is not open (at least up to July when I last went). However, it's clear one can be allowed to stay if you ask once you get to the Sand River Gate (i.e. after having entered at Sekenani, Talek or Ololamutiak). But this seems somehow wrong.

I am headed to the mara again tomorrow. Any latest updates from anybody? Will share if there are useful news.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to jpkamanga For This Useful Post:

Please, do share the news about Sand river campsit, whatever they are.
    24 hours in a day.... 24 beer in a case.... Coincidence?
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    My blog: Our African Ramblings (https://safaribug.wordpress.com/)

Quote Originally Posted by jpkamanga View Post
    Hi all

I am headed to the mara again tomorrow. Any latest updates from anybody? Will share if there are useful news.
    We were at the Mara 3 weeks ago, and no camping on the "Mara Proper". We asked at Sekenani and at New bridge gates and the answer was the same! NO! Nevertheless, the Triangle was amazing and Oloololo will certainly NOT disappoint you. Though a bit far from any river crossings you may want to witness! We observed massive herds on the Triangle, and they were still, not crossing. The feeling was that with the coming rains they would probably stay a little bit more on the Kenyan side. the direction of the movement, so it seemed, was in the direction of Kogatende. Check the herd tracker website.

Please do share any news with us!

AP
    Last edited by apfac; 2018/11/01 at 01:48 AM.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to apfac For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by apfac View Post
    Nevertheless, the Triangle was amazing and Oloololo will certainly NOT disappoint you. Though a bit far from any river crossings you may want to witness! We observed massive herds on the Triangle, and they were still, not crossing.

AP
    Just in case someone who has never been to the Mara misinterprets apfacÂ’s comment above, Oloololo public campsite to the Cul-de-sac and the Main Serena migration crossing points is approx 15 kms. The former Sand River public campsite to the bridge over the Mara river is approx 40 kms - and then even further north to the various river crossing points. The Mara River is the boundary between the Mara Triangle and the main reserve.