Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Default Re: My 2016 Fortuner GD-6 is RUSTING - Is yours?

Quote Originally Posted by Lofty View Post
    I did the VPS and it cost about R400 for about 10cm wide above the windscreen from the rubber upwards,I also did my doors from the window down to the handle because of my dogs hanging out the windows and VPS works briliant,If you are in the Garden Route call Anesh 0792584852 he is a perfectionist and my bakkie have the VPS now for 3 years without one rust spot
    Thanks for the info - I'm in Durban but go down to Knysna every year on holiday so will do it in December

2. The Following User Says Thank You to RobDBN For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Battlestar View Post
    Just a bit of feedback as I get quiet intense with this type situation. I picked up my Fortuner today and had a good look over it. It has one "stone" chip on the windscreen lip with evidence of rust running underneath. I just happen to have a paint shop in our office park and took it straight to the guy. Very helpful he checked it out and also confirmed this is a common occurrence on the Fortuner/Hilux because of the way the windscreen is fixed to the vehicle with the over exposed lip. (Toyota not the only brand with this problem according to him) Without even asking he said what also usually happens is impact damage further down the roof line which will also eventually get the tell tale rust spots . He said it is most definitely caused by stone chip or "impact" damage and wasn't at all concerned about the OEM paint coating quality etc. His words were "it was it is and I shouldn't over think it". Solution is remove the windscreen fix up the affected area and 100% go and have VPS fitted around the lip, halfway down the roof and on the pillars.

For me case closed and if you do have the same chip damage etc get it sorted sooner rather than later.

Ciao
    This doesn't explain the rust spots on top of the roof as well as around the boot hinges of a vehicle which was owned from new. Sorry but my opinion is that this is a bigger underlying issue which is excentuated by the windscreen design.

Quote Originally Posted by HardyEsterhuizen View Post
    Noticed a rust spot above the windscreen of my 2017 Fortuner GD-6 last week, and found this thread.

Took it into Tokai Toyota and was told that it was due to a chip and they have a specific bulletin from Toyota that any such rust spots will NOT be repaired under warranty!!

I pointed out that there are small ripples under the paint extending back from the chip which indicates to me that this caused by more than a chip, and that there have been numerous reports of this, including on this forum. Was told they will escalate this to the manager... who happens to be on away for another week.

Not good enough really - I have never owned a <4 yr old car that has started rusting, even with small chips.

Any advice on what to do from here? Is it worth contacting Toyota SA head office?
    I'm the original creater of this thread. I took my car to Toyota Tokai first, they made up numerous excuses etc etc. Try be fair to them and give them the opportunity to repair, if you don't have luck then social media is your friend. Flood every forum you can with your story (keep to the facts only). Anywhere that they advertise or have competitions etc must hear the facts. It's only when they loose sales (new and second hand) that they will do anything. I made sure that if the word rust and fortuner are Google searched in SA my post appears on top.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Header For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Header View Post
    This doesn't explain the rust spots on top of the roof as well as around the boot hinges of a vehicle which was owned from new. Sorry but my opinion is that this is a bigger underlying issue which is excentuated by the windscreen design.
    So subsequently to my reply above and after locating additional rust on the rear tailgate flange where the weather strip locates i agree that the corrosion may have a bigger underlying issue. The rust under my weather seal was extensive and the whole corrosion discussion has been somewhat un expected and disappointing to say the least. One would think with the 1000,s that have been sold it would be more widespread than reported but this appears not to be the case. Mine has been repaired well and I will continue to monitor these areas going forward. The other unfortunate issue is that it may not be the 10 year car I had hoped it would be....

My 2015 Fortuner (old shape) has rust now on the windscreen beading at the top and right across (I would say about so taking them to the dealers to see if they will cover it. Its 6 years old so not sure if they will. If not off to the panel beaters we go. Sucks when you buy second hand (from a dealer) and only had the car for 2 years now you need to pay for the car and car repairs. But I wont speak too soon, going to see them this afternoon and will see what Toyota say.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4118_jpg.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	99.9 KB 
ID:	612353   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4119_jpg.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	124.9 KB 
ID:	612354  
    2015 Toyota Fortuner 3lD 4x4 Stick Shift

Thumbs up Re: My 2016 Fortuner GD-6 is RUSTING - Is yours?

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk View Post
    My 2015 Fortuner (old shape) has rust now on the windscreen beading at the top and right across (I would say about so taking them to the dealers to see if they will cover it. Its 6 years old so not sure if they will. If not off to the panel beaters we go. Sucks when you buy second hand (from a dealer) and only had the car for 2 years now you need to pay for the car and car repairs. But I wont speak too soon, going to see them this afternoon and will see what Toyota say.
    Hopefully you come right

For those that live at the coast have a look under the front end around the Chassis a valence area. I removed my heavily corroded skid plates and holy......... the rust on the control arms, front chassis, valence area is excessive in my opinion. This from a 5 year old vehicle that has never been driven on the beach,in salt water etc and garaged most of its life. Possible stone chips and road rash. Another trip to the panel shop and R5k more. Pics below fyi.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-3723.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	283.6 KB 
ID:	613993   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-3722.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	322.3 KB 
ID:	613994   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-3721.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	352.7 KB 
ID:	613995   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-3720.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	397.7 KB 
ID:	613996  

What is just as annoying as the rust is the fact that only Toyota service this vehicle. Those plates need to be removed for services and you would have thought the technicians would have pointed out the corrosion as needing attention at some point.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Battlestar For This Useful Post:

Where do you launch
    FJC - Just Cruising

13. The Following User Says Thank You to dirtshark For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by dirtshark View Post
    Where do you launch
    Lol. Never done that either

Lol. Never done that either
    Have you had it from new....demo?? Does it have a front tow hitch?
    FJC - Just Cruising

Quote Originally Posted by dirtshark View Post
    Have you had it from new....demo?? Does it have a front tow hitch?
    Bought it from a friend who had it from new. Only 70000km. The worst off road its done has been a few trips to Transkei, Drakensberg gravel roads and the like. In my naivety I assumed that something like this would never have been an issue and wasn't on my radar to check before buying. No boat launching, water crossing just general SUV use. He does live in Umhlanga but surely the atmosphere shouldn't have such a severe effect as this? PS its only on the front section. The rest of the Chassis and under body are perfect.

Bought it from a friend who had it from new. Only 70000km. The worst off road its done has been a few trips to Transkei, Drakensberg gravel roads and the like. In my naivety I assumed that something like this would never have been an issue and wasn't on my radar to check before buying. No boat launching, water crossing just general SUV use. He does live in Umhlanga but surely the atmosphere shouldn't have such a severe effect as this? PS its only on the front section. The rest of the Chassis and under body are perfect.

I have to agree with Dirtshark, in my opinion that, that thing has been dipped into corrosive/salty water

I drive a fire engine red Cruiser and tow an army inspired van.

Hence my question about the front receiver, its a common problem and if you watch guys self launching ski boats you will see what I mean....my last FJ was just as bad
    FJC - Just Cruising

What is just as annoying as the rust is the fact that only Toyota service this vehicle. Those plates need to be removed for services and you would have thought the technicians would have pointed out the corrosion as needing attention at some point.
    Ahh yes, I forgot to add this to my other rust issues when I owned a fortuner. I am more or less a beach bum. Never ever took my van near or in the water. However I had the same rust through out the chassis. I got tired of questioning these things and moved on. I am now more inclined to buy a used vehicle for my next purchase and I can expect the worse instead of being disappointed at the more quality most manufacturers deem acceptable these day.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to riyadh For This Useful Post:

Fortunately according to the panel shop its surface and can be sorted out. Just involves removing bumpers etc to get in and do it properly. Will then spray with Tectly bodywax and keep a close eye onit.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Battlestar For This Useful Post:

The question remains - why only the front?
    How much of a friend is your 'friend'
    FJC - Just Cruising

Pretty good friend. Has no connections with boats or anything in like and definitely no tow bar in the front. Thing is if was due to immersion into salt water the radiator, pipe clamps, and fasteners etc. in that vicinity and further back would also be heavily corroded and they are not. I can only think road rash,dirt and with that area being prone to impact and living close to the sea created the perfect storm........

Anyway will get it sorted and hopefully will last another 3-4 years before it gets replaced.

For those that live at the coast have a look under the front end around the Chassis a valence area. I removed my heavily corroded skid plates and holy......... the rust on the control arms, front chassis, valence area is excessive in my opinion. This from a 5 year old vehicle that has never been driven on the beach,in salt water etc and garaged most of its life. Possible stone chips and road rash. Another trip to the panel shop and R5k more. Pics below fyi.
    My Hilux is the same. Never been on the beach, doesn't have a front receiver. The factory "bash plate" and the lateral members underneath it are FLAKING rust.

ZS5CMA
    His: '17 Hilux GD-6 4x4 A/T ~115000km
    Hers: '19 Mitsu Eclipse Cross ~ 15000km
    Semi-retired: '12 Polo BlueMotion ~350000km
    Burned to a crisp: '05 WJ 2.7CRD
    https://www.instagram.com/fstopza/

26. The Following User Says Thank You to cainslie For This Useful Post:

This is scary. I was looking at a fortuner or isuzu mux as my next car. This has made me think twice about the fortuner

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8