Fortuner My 2016 Fortuner GD-6 is RUSTING - Is yours? - Page 7

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Default Re: My 2016 Fortuner GD-6 is RUSTING - Is yours?

Quote Originally Posted by RobDBN View Post
    So just to complete my comment - McCarthy Toyota in Pinetown sorted the rust out - good service from them. If it comes up again in the same spots ill take it back to them but any other spots I may have to go directly to Toyota as it is still under warranty.
    The chap there noted this is common on the new Fortuner's/Hilux's as noted in this thread. Angle of the windscreen and the higher lip just catches stones. And as someone mentioned in the thread, maybe shoddy paint/primer/base coat etc. In my case I' m just going to continually check every month and also put a layer of clear nail polish on the lip just so that there is an extra layer of protection. My intention is to keep the car for at least 10 years (cannot afford nor want to get a new car every few years or so) so will have to monitor it closely
    I'm not convinced the windscreen lip is the main issue. My Fortuner had rust spots in the centre of the roof as well as around the boot hinges.

Sorry for bumping up an old thread but is this still a thing and have the affected vehicles been sorted out and sorted out properly? I ask as I just bought a 2016 model and being na´ve would never have thought rust being an issue on the Fortuner so it wasn't something I bothered to research. Stumbled on this thread by accident. The model I bought is also a 2016 2.4GD6 and appears to not have a problem yet and is also white. Other than this thread I cant find a single other problem with rust on the great wide web other than a few of the first Gen (2006-2009) models having problems. One would have thought with Toyota selling big volumes of these vehicles per month there would be a litany of threads and complaints. I am really hoping its isolated cause now im stressing big.......

I have these same rust spots on a 2017 Hilux.

ZS5CMA
    His: '17 Hilux GD-6 4x4 A/T ~115000km
    Hers: '19 Mitsu Eclipse Cross ~ 15000km
    Semi-retired: '12 Polo BlueMotion ~350000km
    Burned to a crisp: '05 WJ 2.7CRD
    https://www.instagram.com/fstopza/

Quote Originally Posted by cainslie View Post
    I have these same rust spots on a 2017 Hilux.
    So could it be a genuine case of stone chip or chip damage and not a bigger underlying problem? I know I'm reaching here but I cant believe Toyota could cock this up that badly. The earlier posts from a ex Toyota employee actually made a lot of sense on the process of painting and coating chasis and body parts. Anyway to keep my mind at ease I'm going to VPS tomorrow to get a price for a strip above the windscreen.

Quote Originally Posted by Battlestar View Post
    So could it be a genuine case of stone chip or chip damage and not a bigger underlying problem? I know I'm reaching here but I cant believe Toyota could cock this up that badly. The earlier posts from a ex Toyota employee actually made a lot of sense on the process of painting and coating chasis and body parts. Anyway to keep my mind at ease I'm going to VPS tomorrow to get a price for a strip above the windscreen.
    I don't know, I bought the vehicle used.

As a short term stopgap, I dabbed some rust inhibitor paint onto the spots. They're now black, but no longer rusting. When I get a gap, I'll have it addressed properly.

ZS5CMA
    His: '17 Hilux GD-6 4x4 A/T ~115000km
    Hers: '19 Mitsu Eclipse Cross ~ 15000km
    Semi-retired: '12 Polo BlueMotion ~350000km
    Burned to a crisp: '05 WJ 2.7CRD
    https://www.instagram.com/fstopza/

When I had my 2013 fortuner, it developed rust spots all over the roof, but very small. The chassis also had some rust developing before I traded it in.
    My 2015/6 Ford ranger has some rust spots above the window and ford says its road rash. So no warranty claim there as well.

Busy purchasing a Fortuner. Went to the Toyota dealership and they had 3 x 2019 2.4 GD6 4x4 from the Toyota Durban plant. Used by managers. The chips on the bonnet of the two vehicles all had rust. I went back after reading this thread and found more on the 3rd vehicle that I was ready to buy. So thanks for all the notes on where to check. Toyota did say they they sort out the chip rusts spots when they buff the vehicle. But can't be sure that resolves the issue.

The last time I drove up from Dbn it was raining and there were two fortuners on two different trucks that had huge rust runs that seem to have come from the back of the trailer all over the back of the vehicles. I had just purchased a new fortuner in Midrand and was wondering how bright this decision was.

The rust from the truck was right down one side of the vehicle and seemed to have affected the rear most vehicle more than any of the others.

Quote Originally Posted by Kru View Post
    Busy purchasing a Fortuner. Went to the Toyota dealership and they had 3 x 2019 2.4 GD6 4x4 from the Toyota Durban plant. Used by managers. The chips on the bonnet of the two vehicles all had rust. I went back after reading this thread and found more on the 3rd vehicle that I was ready to buy. So thanks for all the notes on where to check. Toyota did say they they sort out the chip rusts spots when they buff the vehicle. But can't be sure that resolves the issue.
    They would probably do a brush touch up after buffing which in my experience is an acceptable solution as long as the rust hasn't started creeping. Even if it has started creeping if you maintain it it retards the rust from growing which is better than having a panelbeater mess with your factory paint, I would avoid that at all costs.

Anyone else that has this issue I would do likewise, I don't know if new vehicles are still supplied with the little bottle of paint touch-up but you can order it from the dealer with the correct colour. It's around R250 for the paint touch-up kit, if you are purchasing a vehicle from a Toyota dealer I would require that they includes a paint touch-up kit in the asking price.

That being said I find it unusual that stone chips would start rusting so quickly, it implies they have reduced the base primer/rust inhibitor coating for some reason, maybe to save a buck.

Just a bit of feedback as I get quiet intense with this type situation. I picked up my Fortuner today and had a good look over it. It has one "stone" chip on the windscreen lip with evidence of rust running underneath. I just happen to have a paint shop in our office park and took it straight to the guy. Very helpful he checked it out and also confirmed this is a common occurrence on the Fortuner/Hilux because of the way the windscreen is fixed to the vehicle with the over exposed lip. (Toyota not the only brand with this problem according to him) Without even asking he said what also usually happens is impact damage further down the roof line which will also eventually get the tell tale rust spots . He said it is most definitely caused by stone chip or "impact" damage and wasn't at all concerned about the OEM paint coating quality etc. His words were "it was it is and I shouldn't over think it". Solution is remove the windscreen fix up the affected area and 100% go and have VPS fitted around the lip, halfway down the roof and on the pillars.

For me case closed and if you do have the same chip damage etc get it sorted sooner rather than later.

Ciao

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Battlestar For This Useful Post:

My 2017 Hilux also had the same chip and rust marks above the window. Had the roof repainted with a rust prevention in it. Got it back today.
    Might fit VPS protection as well. Price dependent.
    Last edited by pietas; 2021/01/22 at 07:17 AM. Reason: typo
    Groot berge en lang grondpaaie

My 2018 Bakkie has lots of stone chips on the windscreen lip top of windscreen. Toyota ignored my messages and then when I took it up with the workshop manager he refused to discuss it.
    I thought maybe I was being unreasonable. If they are stone chips then why is there no damage to the windscreen at all, it is only the paint on the lip , for the lip to be chipped the stone has to hit the windscreen first. All are showing rust.

Would be interested to know VPS cost if you have it please. Also looking to get it done.

Quote Originally Posted by Skylark View Post
    They would probably do a brush touch up after buffing which in my experience is an acceptable solution as long as the rust hasn't started creeping. Even if it has started creeping if you maintain it it retards the rust from growing which is better than having a panelbeater mess with your factory paint, I would avoid that at all costs.

Anyone else that has this issue I would do likewise, I don't know if new vehicles are still supplied with the little bottle of paint touch-up but you can order it from the dealer with the correct colour. It's around R250 for the paint touch-up kit, if you are purchasing a vehicle from a Toyota dealer I would require that they includes a paint touch-up kit in the asking price.

That being said I find it unusual that stone chips would start rusting so quickly, it implies they have reduced the base primer/rust inhibitor coating for some reason, maybe to save a buck.
    I couldn't get the finer details from them on how long the vehicles had been standing at the Durban plant. Suffice to say I'm not taking the vehicle I saw as i don't know what I'm getting into. That was a 2019 2.4 4x4. I drove a 2018 2.8 (not 4x4) yesterday, 1 owner from Limpopo. No rust. So looks like I'll be taking that one.

I called for a quote and they said R15K for front panels / around lights and windscreen! Eye watering.

R1000 to do the windscreen edging alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Kru View Post
    I called for a quote and they said R15K for front panels / around lights and windscreen! Eye watering.

R1000 to do the windscreen edging alone.
    Eish That is steep but if its a long term keeper as it is in my case it may be a necessary evil.....

Greetings all. Bumping up this thread again for a heads up as I have located more rust issues. Decided to pull the 2 rear light clusters out and clean all the dirt and dust residue out from behind. Ended up removing the rear boot rubber seal and oh my there is a fair amount of rust in spots along that lip that the rubber presses onto. On the lower section I have a nasty 5c size circle. It appears as if water gets trapped inside the rubber seal and just sits there. Not good and is actually more of a concern than the windscreen lip issue. Now I need to get that seen to also. Not good and hidden from sight.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7