Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Default Re: My 2016 Fortuner GD-6 is RUSTING - Is yours?

Hi Petri, it's not a vehicle i own. My brother alerted me to issues he's experienced and since then i've noticed numerous fortuna's and hilux's with the rust issue, notably around the windshield and/or roof areas.

I hope the good people on this group, who are struggling with toyota, can find a solution that suits them for the long term. There is nothing worse than having a perfectly sound vehicle, which you service and mechanically maintain religiously,only to be ruined by a rust issue,... even more-so if it's a rust issue originating from a possible factory fault.

This might have been posted already. It affects frame rust. I think the 4Runner in the US is the Fortuner?

https://topclassactions.com/lawsuit-...-frame-recall/
    Estee = S T = Sean Towlson

Total 4x4 Novice with no experience whats-so-ever

''Nothing makes the Earth seem so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes''. H.D. Thoreau.

Hummer H3 V8

W.A.P Objectivist

After 2 years of owning a fortuner D4d from new, I noticed that the chassis rails started rusting. I also had some spots on the roof. Didnt keep it long.

Been following this thread for a while.

So we have 4 Toyota's,

2002 Corolla (Silver)
    2007 Yaris (Silver)
    2012 Fortuner (Silver)
    2017 Corolla (White)

Early this year (2020), on a trip from Durban to Gauteng, whilst having lunch at an Ultra City, we noticed rust on the Fortuner for the first time. And it was bad.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo_2020-05-14 16.05.07.jpg 
Views:	235 
Size:	24.7 KB 
ID:	571376

Got it fixed up pretty quickly after noticed, once we got back to Durban few days later.

Now fast forward a couple of months, few days ago, we noticed this on the 2017 Corolla..

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo_2020-05-14 16.07.31.jpg 
Views:	361 
Size:	12.4 KB 
ID:	571377

Will definitely have to get this sorted out right after lockdown.

But interesting thing, the newer cars (2017 Corolla and Fortuner) are parked inside the garage most of the time... the 2002 Corolla and 2007 Yaris doesn't have a touch of rust anyway, despite standing outside 24/7, no more than 400 metres away from the ocean, for the last 10 years+.

I really think something huge went wrong with the later models.... Toyota messed up something badly.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ronald911 For This Useful Post:

Was the rust spot caused by a chip? (On the Corolla)
    Last edited by PieterOos; 2020/05/14 at 02:24 PM.

I have a 2017 and it has a spot above the windscreen in the center like yours in the pic.
    I always forget to adddress it with the dealer and it's getting bigger.
    SHABEER
    Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD6 4x4 auto.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to SHABEER For This Useful Post:

So just noticed a rust bubble on the roof of my 2016 Silver Fortuner GD6 just above the windscreen while I was waxing it this morning. Really not happy at the moment about it.
    Bought it second hand from McCarthy Toyota Pinetown, 65,000km on the clock, literally 2 weeks before lockdown. Thankfully i took the extended warranty so hopefully it is covered.
    Really am gutted about this - would not expect this from a Toyota vehicle that is 4 years old. Granted I live in Durban but still.
    Been trying to phone various Toyota dealerships but no one available to help or no answer. May have to phone on Monday i guess.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to RobDBN For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by RobDBN View Post
    So just noticed a rust bubble on the roof of my 2016 Silver Fortuner GD6 just above the windscreen while I was waxing it this morning. Really not happy at the moment about it.
    Bought it second hand from McCarthy Toyota Pinetown, 65,000km on the clock, literally 2 weeks before lockdown. Thankfully i took the extended warranty so hopefully it is covered.
    Really am gutted about this - would not expect this from a Toyota vehicle that is 4 years old. Granted I live in Durban but still.
    Been trying to phone various Toyota dealerships but no one available to help or no answer. May have to phone on Monday i guess.
    So just to complete my comment - McCarthy Toyota in Pinetown sorted the rust out - good service from them. If it comes up again in the same spots ill take it back to them but any other spots I may have to go directly to Toyota as it is still under warranty.
    The chap there noted this is common on the new Fortuner's/Hilux's as noted in this thread. Angle of the windscreen and the higher lip just catches stones. And as someone mentioned in the thread, maybe shoddy paint/primer/base coat etc. In my case I' m just going to continually check every month and also put a layer of clear nail polish on the lip just so that there is an extra layer of protection. My intention is to keep the car for at least 10 years (cannot afford nor want to get a new car every few years or so) so will have to monitor it closely

So just to complete my comment - McCarthy Toyota in Pinetown sorted the rust out - good service from them. If it comes up again in the same spots ill take it back to them but any other spots I may have to go directly to Toyota as it is still under warranty.
    The chap there noted this is common on the new Fortuner's/Hilux's as noted in this thread. Angle of the windscreen and the higher lip just catches stones. And as someone mentioned in the thread, maybe shoddy paint/primer/base coat etc. In my case I' m just going to continually check every month and also put a layer of clear nail polish on the lip just so that there is an extra layer of protection. My intention is to keep the car for at least 10 years (cannot afford nor want to get a new car every few years or so) so will have to monitor it closely
    Thanx for the feedback to the group. Hope itís not a common issue as I have a Fortuner also.
    An option would be to apply that VPS protective coat/layer?
    The ceramic coating Iíve heard is good that people do when ďdetailingĒ their cars, but quite pricey Iím sure.
    2017 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 A/T

Quote Originally Posted by AK77 View Post
    Thanx for the feedback to the group. Hope itís not a common issue as I have a Fortuner also.
    An option would be to apply that VPS protective coat/layer?
    The ceramic coating Iíve heard is good that people do when ďdetailingĒ their cars, but quite pricey Iím sure.
    Based on what the chap said and reading between the lines it sounds like its more common that not....
    VPS was an option but expensive. Clear nail polish is the cheap and a not so nasty option I will try. Its on the roof lip so out of the way so doubt you will see it.

Based on what the chap said and reading between the lines it sounds like its more common that not....
    VPS was an option but expensive. Clear nail polish is the cheap and a not so nasty option I will try. Its on the roof lip so out of the way so doubt you will see it.
    A VPS strip can't be that expensive, couple of hundred rand for peace of mind.
    Bruce Hunter. 2019 FJ Cruiser, Audi Q5S Tdi, 2019 VW Tiguan 4motion 2.0tsi(work vehicle), Bush Lapa Kewer 2202, Fusion 17 boat-Yamaha FT100hp 4st.

They all seem to use "stone chip" as the scape goat but I have yet to see a stone chip causing such severe rust developing on such new vehicles. There's some process issue at the factory, either paint or frame/panel assembly.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Skylark For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Skylark View Post
    They all seem to use "stone chip" as the scape goat but I have yet to see a stone chip causing such severe rust developing on such new vehicles. There's some process issue at the factory, either paint or frame/panel assembly.
    it looks like an issue on locally manufactured cars. Maybe Durban is the problem?

AND You can forget about Toyota admitting to a problem. Dealers are trained to blame any and every problem on client first and then only maybe a warranty claim can be initiated. Even 10 000 locally manufactured Toyota's have this rust issue blame the little stone chip. Funny the other stone chips don't start rusting like this.

I would get an independent analysis done and then take on Toyota.
    Bruce Hunter. 2019 FJ Cruiser, Audi Q5S Tdi, 2019 VW Tiguan 4motion 2.0tsi(work vehicle), Bush Lapa Kewer 2202, Fusion 17 boat-Yamaha FT100hp 4st.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BruceHun For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BruceHun View Post
    A VPS strip can't be that expensive, couple of hundred rand for peace of mind.
    Thanks - i was under the impression it was more expensive. Will look into it then

I've got similar rust spots creeping under the paint above the windscreen on my 2016 Ford Ranger. See attached.

Mine looks way worse than the previous posts which Toyota SA agreed to repair under warranty. The rate of spreading/creeping under the paint is scary!

Ford refuses to repair mine under warranty, even after putting up a hell of a fight and pointing them to this thread.
    They simply say it's caused by a stone chip and thus not manufacturing related.

At least I got some clarity as to which brand to stay away from next time around.

Toyota: 1
    Ford : 0
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by BlueSteel View Post
    I've got similar rust spots creeping under the paint above the windscreen on my 2016 Ford Ranger. See attached.

Mine looks way worse than the previous posts which Toyota SA agreed to repair under warranty. The rate of spreading/creeping under the paint is scary!

Ford refuses to repair mine under warranty, even after putting up a hell of a fight and pointing them to this thread.

At least I got some clarity as to which brand to stay away from next time around.

How much time do you spend near the ocean?

If very little or none at all is the answer then that amount of rust in such a sort period is bs, it can only be as a result of poor metal prep and coatings at the factory.

If very little or none at all is the answer then that amount of rust in such a sort period is bs, it can only be as a result of poor metal prep and coatings at the factory.
    I take my dogs to the beach around once a month for a half an hour. Vehicle sleeps in a garage. Refused the Ford arranged Atlantis excursion when I bought the bakkie because I read on this forum about the consequences.
    Explained all this to the Ford workshop manager, but I might as well have spoken to a wall.

Wrote a complaint email to Ford Customer Care now, not sure if I'll get a different response. Next step is motor industry ombudsman I guess? In the meantime I think I should get it repaired to avoid further spreading.

Any advise regarding warranty claim, and where to get it repaired in the Western Cape (I stay in Bellville) would be appreciated.

I previously lived a few metres from the beach in Glencairn and my old Fiesta didn't ever rust. Now I live maybe 2km from the beach in Fish Hoek and my 08 Ranger has no rust either I do wash the car often to remove residue.

That's a manufacturing problem.
    2008 Ford Ranger 3.0 XLT 4x4

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Walnut For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BlueSteel View Post

What are those runs? Is that paint?
    2008 Ford Ranger 3.0 XLT 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by Walnut View Post
    What are those runs? Is that paint?
    I think it's rust creeping underneath the paint causing the paint to lift.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast