Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Default Re: My 2016 Fortuner GD-6 is RUSTING - Is yours?

Quote Originally Posted by Papsak View Post
    Mmmm
    2017 model... checked today after reading this thread.

Not happy...
    Is it my imagination or are all affected vehicles white? Either way not nice...
    Jannie
    2017 Hilux GD6 4x4 MT
    2017 Fortuner GD6 4x4 MT
    Bush Lapa Miskruier

It's because all fortuners are white.
    Choose life

Letís test it:

Anyone with a silver Fortuner or Hilux with rust issues.

My silver Hilux (knock on wood) has no rust issues as yet.
    Civil Engineer
    2009 Mitsubishi Triton 2.5 DiD CC
    2017 Toyota Hilux 2.8 GD6 MT DC

Quote Originally Posted by PTsalas View Post
    Letís test it:

Anyone with a silver Fortuner or Hilux with rust issues.

My silver Hilux (knock on wood) has no rust issues as yet.
    My white hilux has no rust issues so I don't think hiluxes are part of this fiasko.

But remember the landrover owners believe Toyota owners hide problems like this so this is actually a unicorn.
    Zerubbabel the 2008 4.8 Patrol
    Nothing, not even a mighty mountain, will stand in Zerubbabelís way!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mal Hannes For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by julius caesar View Post
    Judging from pics on this forum and others, some of abovementioned vehicles might have gone for a swim in a dam somewhere before being sold 2nd hand.

Sorry guys, you have my heartfelt sympathy, but where do you think these vehicles being towed away from dams go? Into second hand market, of course.
    Newly bought vehicles, give toyota sa deep dung to fix or rather replace
    Not relevant with mine, was purchased new. 2x4 which only ever saw gravel road at worst.

Quote Originally Posted by Header View Post
    Itís as if there were trained to default to stone chips. Completely unacceptable. Mine was repaired fairly well and vps was fitted by Toyota.
    Mine also repaired nicely by Toyota this week. They asked me to have vps fitted above the windscreen.
    Apparently there is a bulletin from Toyota regarding this issue. I am trying to get hold of it to see what it says. Will share as soon as i have it

Also check around this area, pull out the rubber and check. It goes back easily. Mine looked as though it was starting.
    Toyota dealer fixed up the following on mine.
    Above windscreen
    Front passenger step sill
    Rear light corners.

My 2017 Fortuner (white) went to the Toyota dealership today for the assessment of the rust on top of the roof, as well as around the hinges of the boot door.Will keep you posted on what transpired.A bit of topic, but is Toyota obliged to provide one with a courtesy vehicle if the vehicle needs to go to a panel beater for repairs?

Quote Originally Posted by aprilia View Post
    My 2017 Fortuner (white) went to the Toyota dealership today for the assessment of the rust on top of the roof, as well as around the hinges of the boot door.Will keep you posted on what transpired.A bit of topic, but is Toyota obliged to provide one with a courtesy vehicle if the vehicle needs to go to a panel beater for repairs?
    Obliged or not, I would throw my single last toy (ota) if I am not given a courtesy vehicle in this instance. And neither must it be a knackered Etios or something, but rather similar to the vehicle that you are paying for. In fact, if my new Fortuner was rusting, a VX 200 courtesy vehicle may just begin to take the edge of my fury.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jaconell For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by jaconell View Post
    Obliged or not, I would throw my single last toy (ota) if I am not given a courtesy vehicle in this instance.
    Personally I have stopped to use a courtesy vehicle (if made available by the dealer) due to the (possible massive) liabilities around the usage of such a vehicle. (Some threads on the forum re extreme excess payments for a chipped windscreen eg etc)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to PieterOos For This Useful Post:

Default My 2016 Fortuner GD-6 is RUSTING - Is yours?

Quote Originally Posted by cheetah View Post
    Is it my imagination or are all affected vehicles white? Either way not nice...
    Good luck, I know the feeling when you notice the rust and sink inside! Luckily Toyota seem to be playing ball, although it's a pity I had to revert to using a forum like this to get their attention. I am not a die hard fan of any one make of vehicle, I enjoy cars and change on a regular basis. The Fortuner was the first "new" car I bought, very disappointed with the tinny feeling and all round quality compared to my older Touareg. I understand why most vehicles are going this way nowadays, personally I'm sticking to older more solid vehicles (Toyota's included).

Interested to see the outcome of all these rust cases.
    Last edited by Header; 2019/06/11 at 08:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by harrisunkerjerry View Post
    Hi, i am experiencing rust as well. There are 3 small rust spots.
    Please advise as to who i can speak to and what toyota s.a told you.
    What if the rust reoccurs at a later stage will they still sort this out as this is a factory defect?
    Apologies for the extremely late response. I sold the vehicle immediately after it was repaired.

Quote Originally Posted by Header View Post
    Good luck, I know the feeling when you notice the rust and sink inside! Luckily Toyota seem to be playing ball, although it's a pity I had to revert to using a forum like this to get their attention. I am not a die hard fan of any one make of vehicle, I enjoy cars and change on a regular basis. The Fortuner was the first "new" car I bought, very disappointed with the tinny feeling and all round quality compared to my older Touareg. I understand why most vehicles are going this way nowadays, personally I'm sticking to older more solid vehicles (Toyota's included).

Interested to see the outcome of all these rust cases.
    So I have been having rust issues with my Fortuner 2.8 4x4. I took delivery in January 2018. And by March 2019 noticed rust on the section where the roof meets the hinges that operate the back door. I reported it to Durban South Toyota and they inspected it. They claimed it was the paint being below spec and would fix it. I waited for 3 months before they finally actioned anything. The solution was to clean the area and spray over it. On the same day I got the car back I noticed the new paint has cracked and the old rust is visible. I reported this to MIOSA Case number 359349. They logged it with Durban South Toyota and also with Toyota South Africa. A month later and and I have had no response from either even after two follow up mails with reference to this case. I have now found more rust.

So clearly Toyota does not care about its customers. This is sad as I was a FAN. Infact I bought my Wife a new Rave this year and This is my 4th brand new Toyota I bought from them including my previous Fortuner that did not have this problem. Shame on you Toyota. I will be branding my car with the experience I had and will be posting it on line.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris Rothmann For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Rothmann View Post
    So I have been having rust issues with my Fortuner 2.8 4x4. I took delivery in January 2018. And by March 2019 noticed rust on the section where the roof meets the hinges that operate the back door. I reported it to Durban South Toyota and they inspected it. They claimed it was the paint being below spec and would fix it. I waited for 3 months before they finally actioned anything. The solution was to clean the area and spray over it. On the same day I got the car back I noticed the new paint has cracked and the old rust is visible. I reported this to MIOSA Case number 359349. They logged it with Durban South Toyota and also with Toyota South Africa. A month later and and I have had no response from either even after two follow up mails with reference to this case. I have now found more rust.

So clearly Toyota does not care about its customers. This is sad as I was a FAN. Infact I bought my Wife a new Rave this year and This is my 4th brand new Toyota I bought from them including my previous Fortuner that did not have this problem. Shame on you Toyota. I will be branding my car with the experience I had and will be posting it on line.
    Hallo Chris. I once experienced a similiar type chain of events - albeit with a German luxury brand. Only difference was damage done to the vehicle whilst in the workshop for a service (1st service). I was given the run around by the workshop manager and on a particular day, drove to the dealership, walked straight past the Dealer Principal's PA (who tried to stop me) and into his office. Closed the door and had a good heart-to-heart. I left with a courtesey vehicle and a livid DP in my wake, because he was not aware of the shenanigans of his staff. My vehicle was repaired and returned pristine.

Have you involved the Dealer Principal? If not, give it a bash. I am no fan of Toyota but you should not let your faith in the brand be destroyed by poor public relations.

Log on to this thread whilst you are in HIS office on his PC. Then ask him about his willingness to do the right thing. And put it in writing. I am sure it will make good reading for the 1000's of persons visiting this forum daily.

Hope it ends well for you.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to jaconell For This Useful Post:

I spent a number of years in the paint shop of a SA manufacturer in various roles. So I know a bit about the process. This is a HUGE problem. If I have to own one of these vehicles I will simply ask for a refund. In this day and age that is the last thing to expect on a vehcile. Something serious has gone wrong during the process.

No matter what they do, somewhere down the line it will pop up again. GD6 Fortuners will not be on my list of second hand vehicles to buy.
    We can't change the wind but we can set our sails

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Francois Theron For This Useful Post:

Hi

Sadly I agree with you and I am torn as I Love Toyota reliability. My very first car I bought was a Toyota and I have owned
    several new and used Toyota's. I have also bought several new and used Toyota's from my wife.

Unfortunately I am trapped at the moment. I wife's Car is only six months old and bought it new. My car is now 18 month old,
    also bought new so I just cannot afford to loose that amount of money.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris Rothmann For This Useful Post:

I haven't read the whole thread, so help me here please. So there is three fortuners that has rust here?
    2011 Fortuner 3.0 D-4D 4x4
    2008 Lexus IS250 V6
    Jaco

Is it only the Fortuners affected or also Hilux?

Hilux's are also affected. Seen many new models with rust, as well as reports (on this forum) with same issue.

Bottom line , Toyota should call-back and replace with new.

Once rust is on a vehicle, it's on. And if you think Toyota agent sending it off to some 3rd party quick-fix spray shop is an acceptable long term fix.... you wrong.

If that's all they offering, i'd want my money back.

Quote Originally Posted by Russ Kellermann View Post
    If that's all they offering, i'd want my money back.
    On which model do you have this rust, Russ? (mm/yy)
    Last edited by PieterOos; 2019/09/06 at 11:33 AM.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast