Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 137
  1. #61
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Durban
    Age
    66
    Posts
    333
    Thanked: 482

    Default Re: My 2016 Fortuner GD-6 is RUSTING - Is yours?

    Snap; mine was AUgust 2016. I'll try some pics today.

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Centurion
    Age
    55
    Posts
    2,267
    Thanked: 884

    Default Re: My 2016 Fortuner GD-6 is RUSTING - Is yours?

    I bought mine April 2016 and it looks fine. However I will check in detail this weekend when I wash it. (I was told at the time it was imported, I think from Thailand.)

    So I wonder if these were perhaps from the first batch built when Prospecton came on line?
    Last edited by PieterOos; 2018/10/26 at 09:59 AM.

  3. #63
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Honeydew
    Age
    54
    Posts
    97
    Thanked: 98

    Default Re: My 2016 Fortuner GD-6 is RUSTING - Is yours?

    I pre-ordered my Fortuner and got one of the first ones that became available.
    I have quite a number of chips caused by stones on the bonnet, but they have not rusted any further to cause additional damage

  4. #64
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Durban
    Posts
    36
    Thanked: 3

    Default My 2016 Fortuner GD-6 is RUSTING - Is yours?

    2017 Fortuner 2.4 GD-6 Auto.
    Took delivery in Apr 2017, i did notice the paint defect a week or so later. Didnít think much of it.

    Last week i notice the silver on the headlight is bubbling too.

    Vehicle will be booked in for 40 000km service in the next week or so, will have to get the dealer to check it out.
    This being the first Toyota i owned after many VWís, i have been very disappointed in the auto gearbox and quality of the paint.

    Last edited by uzairb; 2018/10/28 at 03:00 PM.

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Brackenfell
    Age
    61
    Posts
    99
    Thanked: 29

    Default Re: My 2016 Fortuner GD-6 is RUSTING - Is yours?

    Quote Originally Posted by fanusl View Post
    Ek het ook 'n 2016 GD 6. Ook roes op die dak. Is besig met Toyota maar nog geen terugvoer.
    Toyota het ingestem om die roes op die dak te herstel. Gaan volgende week in vir herstel.

  6. #66
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Durban
    Posts
    36
    Thanked: 3

    Default Re: My 2016 Fortuner GD-6 is RUSTING - Is yours?

    Quote Originally Posted by uzairb View Post
    2017 Fortuner 2.4 GD-6 Auto.
    Took delivery in Apr 2017, i did notice the paint defect a week or so later. Didnít think much of it.

    Last week i notice the silver on the headlight is bubbling too.

    Vehicle will be booked in for 40 000km service in the next week or so, will have to get the dealer to check it out.
    This being the first Toyota i owned after many VWís, i have been very disappointed in the auto gearbox and quality of the paint.

    Update, vehicle went in for 40 000km service today.

    The bubbling chrome beading on the headlight will be replaced under warranty. Part ordered.

    The paint defect, vehicle will have to get booked in for dealer to send it to the panel/paint shop for assessment.
    The report will then be submitted for approval, dealer says this is not covered under warranty but they will most likely sort it out as goodwill.
    He suggested i put vps on the bonnet and above the windscreen after it is repaired.

    These guys are crazy, while booking in the advisor was going on about it being caused by stone chip.

  7. #67
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    41
    Posts
    245
    Thanked: 18

    Default Re: My 2016 Fortuner GD-6 is RUSTING - Is yours?

    So what now?... you okes all end up with re-sprayed vehicles? It's not like it's going to be sent to Toyota factory, stripped to bare metal and re-done.... it's going to be a 3rd party coachworks business that does a patch-job... I would be loosing it. i guess, what do you do hey.

  8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Russ Kellermann For This Useful Post:


  9. #68
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Cape Town Southern Suburbs
    Posts
    3,377
    Thanked: 1402

    Default Re: My 2016 Fortuner GD-6 is RUSTING - Is yours?

    Quote Originally Posted by Russ Kellermann View Post
    So what now?... you okes all end up with re-sprayed vehicles? It's not like it's going to be sent to Toyota factory, stripped to bare metal and re-done.... it's going to be a 3rd party coachworks business that does a patch-job... I would be loosing it. i guess, what do you do hey.
    That is exactly what is going to happen, some lackey in the panel section will sand down the rusted area, reprime and then it'll get top coated in the paint shop. Not great especially if the vehicle has basecoat.

    A good question is how is the rust getting there in the first place on so many of these vehicles and is a refinish really going to solve the underlying issue.

  10. #69
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    31
    Posts
    56
    Thanked: 15

    Default Re: My 2016 Fortuner GD-6 is RUSTING - Is yours?

    Quote Originally Posted by uzairb View Post
    Update, vehicle went in for 40 000km service today.

    The bubbling chrome beading on the headlight will be replaced under warranty. Part ordered.

    The paint defect, vehicle will have to get booked in for dealer to send it to the panel/paint shop for assessment.
    The report will then be submitted for approval, dealer says this is not covered under warranty but they will most likely sort it out as goodwill.
    He suggested i put vps on the bonnet and above the windscreen after it is repaired.

    These guys are crazy, while booking in the advisor was going on about it being caused by stone chip.
    Itís as if there were trained to default to stone chips. Completely unacceptable. Mine was repaired fairly well and vps was fitted by Toyota.

  11. #70
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Brymore, Port Elizabeth
    Age
    59
    Posts
    827
    Thanked: 33

    Default Re: My 2016 Fortuner GD-6 is RUSTING - Is yours?

    Mine was registered as new in October 2018, you tell me if this one was built from those first batch imported panels. I took a picture, cleaned with acetone and took another one. Definitely not a stone chip. Less than 2 mm long.

    Any colour other than white involved?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	roes.jpg 
Views:	229 
Size:	59.6 KB 
ID:	510023   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	roes 1.jpg 
Views:	233 
Size:	28.0 KB 
ID:	510025  
    Last edited by BarOne; 2018/11/18 at 10:00 PM.
    Pieter
    ------
    2018 Fortuner 2.8 4x4

  12. #71
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Durban
    Posts
    2
    Thanked: 0

    Default Re: My 2016 Fortuner GD-6 is RUSTING - Is yours?

    Hi Guys,

    I have sad news.

    I have purchased a fortuner 2016 model 4x2 manual with mileage of 37000km.
    I made this purchase in October 2018.

    Last week i noticed 3 rust spots above my windscreen.
    This appeared from nowhere and when i purchased my vehicle there was no rust spots.

    I am sad and concerned as to what to do.

    Do i send it in to toyota for them to patch it and then they will log it in their warranty records as a rust repair.
    Would this devalue my vehicle and make it a vehicle that cannot be resold because of this warranty record?

    Do i get a private panel shop to fix this and then sell the vehicle privately?

    If you guys have been through the process of having toyota south africa repair the vehilce, please let me know who and how to contact the guys.
    What if the rust is repaired and it re surfaces after a few years?

    I dont know what to do and im absolutely disheartened as it took me a while to save up for this vehicle and now the rust might spread like a cancer.

    My vehicle is still under warranty and service plan and it was build on 2016/04/05.

    I am so confused.

    :-(

    Thanks

  13. #72
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Durban
    Posts
    2
    Thanked: 0

    Default Re: My 2016 Fortuner GD-6 is RUSTING - Is yours?

    Quote Originally Posted by Header View Post
    Update - After reading my post and the comments here Toyota asked to reassess the vehicle. Toyota SA have agreed to repair the rust. I will document the process and take as many pictures I can of the work they do and severity of the rust.

    Hi, i am experiencing rust as well. There are 3 small rust spots.
    Please advise as to who i can speak to and what toyota s.a told you.
    What if the rust reoccurs at a later stage will they still sort this out as this is a factory defect?

  14. #73
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Oos Londen
    Age
    43
    Posts
    106
    Thanked: 6

    Default Re: My 2016 Fortuner GD-6 is RUSTING - Is yours?

    I’ve bought a white 2017 Fortuner V6 three weeks ago and have noticed rust between the boot hinges and the body - its bad. I also have rust on my roof, just above the front window, that looks like varicose veins.
    Will take the vehicle back the Toyota shortly. I’m very disappointed with the rust.
    Last edited by aprilia; 2019/01/11 at 08:30 AM.

  15. #74
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    31
    Posts
    56
    Thanked: 15

    Default Re: My 2016 Fortuner GD-6 is RUSTING - Is yours?

    Quote Originally Posted by harrisunkerjerry View Post
    Hi Guys,

    I have sad news.

    I have purchased a fortuner 2016 model 4x2 manual with mileage of 37000km.
    I made this purchase in October 2018.

    Last week i noticed 3 rust spots above my windscreen.
    This appeared from nowhere and when i purchased my vehicle there was no rust spots.

    I am sad and concerned as to what to do.

    Do i send it in to toyota for them to patch it and then they will log it in their warranty records as a rust repair.
    Would this devalue my vehicle and make it a vehicle that cannot be resold because of this warranty record?

    Do i get a private panel shop to fix this and then sell the vehicle privately?

    If you guys have been through the process of having toyota south africa repair the vehilce, please let me know who and how to contact the guys.
    What if the rust is repaired and it re surfaces after a few years?

    I dont know what to do and im absolutely disheartened as it took me a while to save up for this vehicle and now the rust might spread like a cancer.

    My vehicle is still under warranty and service plan and it was build on 2016/04/05.

    I am so confused.

    :-(

    Thanks
    Sorry to hear this, I know the feeling. Toyota SA were careful not to communicate directly with me so I cannot give any direct contacts unfortunately. Only spoke via my service advisor. From my experience you are wasting your time going via dealer as they are trained to deflect and deny. Even the approved body shop seemed to have been prepped with nonsense answers. My vehicle was very well repaired and it looked very good after the roof and bonnet were repaired and fully resprayed.

    I had the following plan which helped thanks to the support of people on this website.
    1. Give the facts, only the facts, on a well supported website.
    2. Gain support, we all need to comment and give our views, many of these will not make Toyota look good. Some people may not back you, they are entitled to their opinions.
    3. Share the link to the thread with Toyota SA and explain your issue.
    4. Post the link daily on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook until it is all anyone sees when typing Toyota Fortuner on social media.

    Do not bad mouth Toyota or say anything which is not 100% true. They were good to me and will hopefully be good to you too.

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to Header For This Useful Post:


  17. #75
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Cape Town Southern Suburbs
    Posts
    3,377
    Thanked: 1402

    Default Re: My 2016 Fortuner GD-6 is RUSTING - Is yours?

    It must be super disappointing to have such an expensive low mileage vehicle develop rust.

    What are they doing wrong because most modern vehicles manufacturers seem to have largely sorted the rust problem out, VW is even able to give a 10yr rust warranty or something similar?

  18. #76
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    edenvale
    Age
    47
    Posts
    1,481
    Thanked: 254

    Default Re: My 2016 Fortuner GD-6 is RUSTING - Is yours?

    any of the affected owners need to also dig around inside the interior panels, pull a door card off, pull the cubby hole off and look under the dash, lift the interior carpet up as well and examine all over for rust, if its a paint and prep area, it sure as #$## ain't gonna just be in one place, pull the wiper motor cowl panel off as well and look in there, go examine the transmission tunnel above the gearbox

  19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 3bar For This Useful Post:


  20. #77
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Melkbosstrand
    Age
    48
    Posts
    2,545
    Thanked: 534

    Default Re: My 2016 Fortuner GD-6 is RUSTING - Is yours?

    Mmmm
    2017 model... checked today after reading this thread.

    Not happy...
    Everybody needs to believe in something.... I believe I will have another Beer!

    Travel Blog: https://since1652.wordpress.com/

    https://www.instagram.com/since1652travel/

  21. #78
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Sinoville Pretoria
    Age
    63
    Posts
    845
    Thanked: 645

    Default Re: My 2016 Fortuner GD-6 is RUSTING - Is yours?

    Judging from pics on this forum and others, some of abovementioned vehicles might have gone for a swim in a dam somewhere before being sold 2nd hand.

    Sorry guys, you have my heartfelt sympathy, but where do you think these vehicles being towed away from dams go? Into second hand market, of course.
    Newly bought vehicles, give toyota sa deep dung to fix or rather replace
    Last edited by julius caesar; 2019/01/14 at 05:59 PM.
    Henk Pretorius D4 3,0 SDV6 HSE

  22. #79
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Durban or Centurion
    Posts
    1,340
    Thanked: 1273

    Default Re: My 2016 Fortuner GD-6 is RUSTING - Is yours?

    Quote Originally Posted by julius caesar View Post
    Judging from pics on this forum and others, some of abovementioned vehicles might have gone for a swim in a dam somewhere before being sold 2nd hand.

    Sorry guys, you have my heartfelt sympathy, but where do you think these vehicles being towed away from dams go? Into second hand market, of course.
    Newly bought vehicles, give toyota sa deep dung to fix or rather replace
    If these were ex- dam duiker vehicles, there would be much less of these rust issues; and rust would be the least of their problems...

  23. The Following User Says Thank You to SAND For This Useful Post:


  24. #80
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Sinoville Pretoria
    Age
    63
    Posts
    845
    Thanked: 645

    Default Re: My 2016 Fortuner GD-6 is RUSTING - Is yours?

    Quote Originally Posted by SAND View Post
    If these were ex- dam duiker vehicles, there would be much less of these rust issues; and rust would be the least of their problems...
    Problem here is damduikers would fob off insurers, get paid out. Vehicles would be auctioned off as 2nd hand and repaired by some backyard mechanic, then sold as this hardly used car driven to church and back by an old lady
    Henk Pretorius D4 3,0 SDV6 HSE

  25. The Following User Says Thank You to julius caesar For This Useful Post:


Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •