Fortuner My 2016 Fortuner GD-6 is RUSTING - Is yours? - Page 2

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Default Re: My 2016 Fortuner GD-6 is RUSTING - Is yours?

Maybe hail damaged cars that have been 'fixed'??
    FJC - Just Cruising

Quote Originally Posted by JacquesD4D View Post
    That really does not look like stone chips to me. I would not let this one rest until it is sorted by Toyota....

Agree , not in the middle of the roof.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtshark View Post
    Maybe hail damaged cars that have been 'fixed'??
    ..........does'nt look like stone chips to me. Why is the paint lifting??
    "Yes, I have a Bad Habit. I take Tea at Three".........Mick Jagger

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Petri Oosthuizen For This Useful Post:

Quick Update -

Service manager of Toyota Tokai contacted me, I took the vehicle in for him to look at it. His view is that only one of the rust spots looks like it originated from a chip, and that the rest seem to be from dust under the paint. He will revert back to me later in the week after his report is sent to head office.

Still no contact from Toyota SA.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Header For This Useful Post:

My Prado has a number of stone chips and no rust, I would be massively concerned, how would the rust be treated? Grind off all paint with a flap grinder and re Paint? I really don't see how that on the roof would be successfully repaired and guaranteed? Will there be other spots popping up all over?

I really wish you best of luck, but I'd be pressing for a replacement vehicle.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to sparewheel For This Useful Post:

Apparently Toyota like to deny things until there is a certain number of complaints - same with the braking issue on the GD6.

Did some contract work in Somali. A batch of new Hiaceís everyone had rust marks (actually a line) where top of roof was fitted. Much older Hiaceís there no problem where roof was fitted.

Quote Originally Posted by Anjo View Post
    Did some contract work in Somali. A batch of new Hiaceís everyone had rust marks (actually a line) where top of roof was fitted. Much older Hiaceís there no problem where roof was fitted.
    are those South African built hiaces ? or thai built ?

Header, did you buy this vehicle new or are you the second owner?
    Regards
    HeinrichC

I agree...those spots on the roof are not stone chips that are rusting..I used to have a Hilux ..brand new in 2009. Same problem..I spotted it in the show room and refuse to take delivery...got another new Hilux that was good.
    This is a Toyota paint jobby that went south.
    Fight them.
    Jannie Engelbrecht

Quote Originally Posted by HeinrichC View Post
    Header, did you buy this vehicle new or are you the second owner?
    Second owner - Bought from a friend who moved overseas. He bought it new and has never been in any accidents or had any non routine work done on the car. It is a 2x4 and never did beach driving of any kind.

Quote Originally Posted by 3bar View Post
    are those South African built hiaces ? or thai built ?

Not sure but right hand drive. Had fotoís but deleted some time ago ,possibility goiing back there beginning of next year than can found out.

Quote Originally Posted by Header View Post
    I am not a paint/metal expert.

Attachment 505988

Center of roof
    I too am no paint expert, however if I look closely at the photo of the roof it would appear as though the rest of the roof paint work is not in great shape. Whats going on there or is it my imagination?
    A dog has no use for fancy cars, big homes, or designer clothes. A water logged stick will do just fine. A dog doesn't care if youíre rich or poor, clever or dull, smart or dumb. Give her your heart and she'll give you hers. How many people can you say that about? How many people can make you feel rare and pure and special? How many people can make you feel extraordinary?

Quote Originally Posted by Steady View Post
    I too am no paint expert, however if I look closely at the photo of the roof it would appear as though the rest of the roof paint work is not in great shape. Whats going on there or is it my imagination?
    it just needs a wash. Iíll wash it and post clearer images.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Header For This Useful Post:

Having worked for Toyota for 21 years, i don't believe that should happen ex works. The steel used is imported electrogalv, probably single sided to prevent rusting. The entire body is dipped in electro galvanized solution after assembly, positively charged so it adheres properly, then base cost and final coat. If it's metallic, then it has a clear coat as well. (As I recall)

Unless there was a pit mark on the roof that no one noticed which has now started to rust. When we did acelerated salt spray tests, you scratch the surface of the steel with a nail and that picture is the pattern you get after the test is completed.

I live in Durban a kilometre from the beach and I have no rust on my 2012 Fortuner. Regretfully this is your problem, I would get it fixed ASAP before it rusts through the roof panel. Then you're in for massive repair bill.

It's annoying but we're at the mercy of the elements.

Craig

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Cpdennis1 For This Useful Post:

I am glad to see that my 2016 Hilux GD-6 is not the only "newish" vehicle with this corrosion problem under the paint, I also took mine to the dealer where I bought it from and had similar replies to stone chip marks ect. So I took it up with Toyota SA and after a bit of a fight with the dealer and Toyota SA they finally agreed to repair my vehicle on their cost. Mine also started as 2 or 3 isolated spots right on the edge of the roof above the windscreen and not 3 months later had 5 more spots and this time clearly visible as bubbles under the paint and a big new spot of rust inside the gutter rail (this was the argument winner), so finally they gave in and agreed to repair my vehicle. So not admitting it in writing but agreeing to get it repaired.... was good enough for me thou. Dont give up yet as there is definitely something wrong in the paint prep and application process with in the Toyota painting department or the quality of metal they use.
    Best of luck with getting your Fortuner repaired.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Kappie-WP For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kappie-WP View Post
    I am glad to see that my 2016 Hilux GD-6 is not the only "newish" vehicle with this corrosion problem under the paint, I also took mine to the dealer where I bought it from and had similar replies to stone chip marks ect. So I took it up with Toyota SA and after a bit of a fight with the dealer and Toyota SA they finally agreed to repair my vehicle on their cost. Mine also started as 2 or 3 isolated spots right on the edge of the roof above the windscreen and not 3 months later had 5 more spots and this time clearly visible as bubbles under the paint and a big new spot of rust inside the gutter rail (this was the argument winner), so finally they gave in and agreed to repair my vehicle. So not admitting it in writing but agreeing to get it repaired.... was good enough for me thou. Dont give up yet as there is definitely something wrong in the paint prep and application process with in the Toyota painting department or the quality of metal they use.
    Best of luck with getting your Fortuner repaired.

What year model is your vehicle and what month month did you take delivery? Mine is a very late 2016 model taken delivery in January 2017 and the paint is great , no rust or bubbles. Iím hoping it is limited to a certain production batch and that itís not something affecting all models.

Mine has been in Gauteng since new, hoping the rust doesnít pop up after a visit to the coast ....
    Civil Engineer
    2009 Mitsubishi Triton 2.5 DiD CC
    2017 Toyota Hilux 2.8 GD6 MT DC

Quote Originally Posted by Cpdennis1 View Post
    Having worked for Toyota for 21 years, i don't believe that should happen ex works. The steel used is imported electrogalv, probably single sided to prevent rusting. The entire body is dipped in electro galvanized solution after assembly, positively charged so it adheres properly, then base cost and final coat. If it's metallic, then it has a clear coat as well. (As I recall)

Unless there was a pit mark on the roof that no one noticed which has now started to rust. When we did acelerated salt spray tests, you scratch the surface of the steel with a nail and that picture is the pattern you get after the test is completed.

I live in Durban a kilometre from the beach and I have no rust on my 2012 Fortuner. Regretfully this is your problem, I would get it fixed ASAP before it rusts through the roof panel. Then you're in for massive repair bill.

It's annoying but we're at the mercy of the elements.

Craig
    Seems like they trained you well at Toyota, you can do a full analysis and come to a final conclusion based solely on viewing a few low res pics and the belief that Toyota can do no wrong, employee award incoming.

I have never seen rust sprout that fast and that extensively solely from a stone chip, keeping in mind even if it was a stone chip the primer doesn't get removed hence it takes quite some time to even start weeping rust, nevermind full blown rust tentacles snaking it's way up the paintwork.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Skylark For This Useful Post:

Friend of mine is the owner of a reputable body shop and say there is numerous new Hilux/Fortuners with rust on the roof area..it is a problem.
    2017 Hilux 2.4 SRX D/C 4x4 2012 Cross Polo [mamma s'n]

http://travel.webshots.com/album/558867451ncpSPZ

It was manufactured on a Monday. Totally unacceptable and Toyota should accept responsibility for at least investigating the issue properly, before walking away from it.
    Basson Kruger.6.5X55,.303SABI,308WM,375H&H SABI. Hilux Revo 2.8GD6 4x4 A

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast