Richtersveld to Ai Ais

Default Richtersveld to Ai Ais

Hallo All

Our children both students have been invited tojoin a group that will be doing the Vis river hiking tour in June 2019. My wifeand I volunteered to take them as we visited this part of Namibia beforechildren. We are therefore long overdue.
    Discussing this with camping friends we realisedthat they planned to do the Richtersveld in the same time. We are nowconsidering joining them on route to Ai Ais. They have planned to spend 5days in the Richtersveld and then join us in Namibia before we all head home.
    The advice we need as we have not been in theRichtersveld and it is many moons since we have been in the South of Namibia isthe following:

· We plan to join our friends whom havereserved place to camp at De Hoop for 2 days.
    · Then my wife and myself willtake the hikers to Ai Ais via Sendelingsdrif. Sleep over at Ai Ais and off load them the next day and return toour friends at De Hoop after offloading the group at the start of the hikingtrail.
    Thiswill entail that we spend more time in Richtersveld while the kids are hiking and then end of the holiday with the kids in the Southern part of Namibia whomhave also not seen this part at all.

We do not know if this is to ambitious in thelight of road conditions and time taken with ravelling. Is it feasible totravel up and down from Ai Ais to De Hoop or should we just wait the 5 days atAi Ais.

Advice will be apreciated.

Greetings

Burns

Default Re: Richtersveld to Ai Ais

In April I did this route. Roads were very fine. I would do the return trip and stay at De Hoop

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Ykader For This Useful Post:

I agree with Ykader. Ai Ais is OK for a day or two, but five days will be too long. I will rather spend that time in the Richtersveld. Your only risk will be that the ferry at Sendelingsdrif might be out of action.

I agree with the previous comments. We have just come back from our trip to the Richtersveld and Ai Ais parks and would much rather spend more time in the Richtersveld. The roads are fine and easy to drive and the pont at Sendlingsdrift operated efficiently.

Be sure to check all the times of the park gate openings, the ferry operating times and the border posts. All very friendly and efficient, but the time will add up.

Peter1949 will shortly post part Two of our "Kokerboom" trip report in the Overland section, which will cover some of that area and our route in some detail.
    Last edited by PedroD; 2018/10/15 at 03:54 PM.
    PedroD

Toyota Prado TX 3.0D & Bush Lapa Boskriek

Thank All for the advice.

Apreciated.

We return to our friends and not wait at Ai Ais.

Thank You

Burns