Cullinan Opistasie Restaurant - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Cullinan Opistasie Restaurant

To both Johans,

I would have gotten up from the table, walked into the kitchen, asked for the chef and said to him that I tried their cold food, that it was not fit for human consumption and walked out, and refusing to pay.

I am sorry, I have done it before and I am not scared to do it again. If food is bad, even if I have eaten some of it, I refuse to pay for it. By the time I sit down, it has already cost me money to get there. Then I have to leave, find somewhere else to eat, which again will cost money and then pay for another meal? Pay for two meals? NOT ME!!

And boy, will I lambaste them on Trip Advisor, like I did this last week with Mantenga Lodge in Swaziland where I ordered a Gourmet Burger that was not what I would even be happy with if I bought it at a church bazaar.... A basic burger Steers Burger from Steers is ten times the value at a 1/3rd of the price, and then you at least get decent chips as well.... My customers were also not too happy with their food, but paying with dollars, they at least were not complaining about the price!
    Last edited by mvcoller; 2018/10/15 at 09:21 AM.
    Malcolm van Coller - retired but remained living in Johannesburg (love it here, can find everything you want and need here in Jhb)
    2011 Nissan Pathfinder 2,5 CDi LE Manual (Standard Traction Control plus Front Diff Locker)
    2008 Nissan Patrol 3.0 TDi GL (Packing system, 60lt water tank, std rear locker, LOKKA on front, two 105ah aux batteries on NL system, larger Cirrus intercooler, complete 76mm exhaust system)
    2003 Bushwakka Shorti (extra luggage space for customers on when on safari (with 160 H/Moon Star Gazer RTT and 100lt water tanks)
    Ex 1999 Nissan Terrano 2.7 TDi (Limited Slip Diffs Front and Rear) with Jurgens RTT for Guiding trips
    Ex 2011 Conqueror Supra II for personal camping
    Ex 1995 GQ Patrol GLX 3 speed Auto (disaster that box was!) - Lexus V8 transplant
    Ex 1984 Nissan Safari (Poelies Vehn) 2.8 Stationwagon with 5 speed conversion, rusted like it was paid to rust!
    Ex 1995 Sani 3.0 V6 Exec
    Ex 1994 Venture 2200 with lock diff (Company vehicle) that whet my appetite for overlanding.
    Many 4x4s in National Service (Landies, Jeeps, Willys, Bedfords, Unimogs and Buffels)

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mvcoller For This Useful Post:

That's sad I used to only go and eat there on my Cullinan visits, the last time we went we were told the kitchen was closed already (this was around 2 in the afternoon), so we left and ate at another place. Must say Cullinan is also not what it used to be and I'm searching for another destination to do road trips to, somewhere where one can get anything from art to antiques at reasonable prices.

Garrie
    Defender 110 TD5 CSW 18P loving every moment driving it !!!!!
    Suzuki Jimny with custom made rack and drawers view here - Sold
    Stay away from negative people. They have a problem for every solution...

Basie, it is the Pub and the perfect place to do this. As mentioned, don't open the thread if not interested

5. The Following User Says Thank You to IRON HORSE For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Stephan van Tonder View Post
    One thursday afternoon kinda randomly trying to avoid traffic out of pretoria we popped into cullinan for the cockpit brewhouse only to find they have closed down.
    Actually have opened up again, Andre has sold the place and the new owner is also a brewer.

Haven't been there yet so cannot comment on what it is like now.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by Jors55 View Post
    It's simple. Don't open threads that you have no interest in.
    And that is why we have a "Pub" section

8. The Following User Says Thank You to hatjohan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by basie oosthuizen View Post
    In this world of negatives, politics and other bad things it is so refreshing to read about 4x4ís and camping but it will become Facebook when we allow restaurant evaluatins on this forum.
    Please guys keep this a 4x4 Forum.
    Like I said, we went there in my 4x4...............

It still is a 4x4 forum, under the various 4x4 related headings. Yet there are areas for fishing, for flying, for photography, for nature, etc.

If a company does not deliver then I would expect the people affected to share their experiences here in order for me to decide if I want to support that company or not.

If everybody on here only reported on the lovely low priced trails they drove with wonderful tyres that never gets a puncture and with a car that never breaks down, gets stuck or cannot "make" and obstacle then it would be the quietest place on the internet. You will even be able to hear crickets chirping.
    Johan De Graaf

2018 Ford Ranger 2.2 XL Doublecab
    2013 Range Rover evogue HSE Dynamic SD4
    2010 Range Rover Vogue TDV8

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Oldtimer For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by mvcoller View Post
    To both Johans,

I would have gotten up from the table, walked into the kitchen, asked for the chef and said to him that I tried their cold food, that it was not fit for human consumption and walked out, and refusing to pay.

I am sorry, I have done it before and I am not scared to do it again. If food is bad, even if I have eaten some of it, I refuse to pay for it. By the time I sit down, it has already cost me money to get there. Then I have to leave, find somewhere else to eat, which again will cost money and then pay for another meal? Pay for two meals? NOT ME!!

And boy, will I lambaste them on Trip Advisor, like I did this last week with Mantenga Lodge in Swaziland where I ordered a Gourmet Burger that was not what I would even be happy with if I bought it at a church bazaar.... A basic burger Steers Burger from Steers is ten times the value at a 1/3rd of the price, and then you at least get decent chips as well.... My customers were also not too happy with their food, but paying with dollars, they at least were not complaining about the price!
    Normally Mantenga have excellent food and are very consistent - we have eaten there at least a dozen times in the past 4 years, they do there Mcdonalds style fries which isn't like steers thick cut.

Was it of a set menu or a la carte ?

2011 VW Touareg V.8 TDI
    2006 VW Touareg 3.0 TDi air suspension aka Pumba ( sold)
    2003 Pajero IO 2.0 aka Bosvark

I don't even own a 4x4...but I still believe I can contribute to this forum as well as learn from it. As a Community we try to protect people from bad experiences (such as owning a Land Rover or visiting a bad restaurant) I believe this was the intention of the OP.

Sad to hear though, as I spent my first couple of years after school living in Cullinan. Nice place to live...
    1996 Discovery 1 (SOLD)
    2009 Corsa Utility 1.7Dti (Everyday drive)
    2001 Mercedes C180 (SOLD)
    2012 Nissan Xtrail 2.0 (Weekend Wagon)
    2010 Kia Sedona 2.9Crdi (Written off)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    You will even be able to hear crickets chirping.
    I do not like crickets chirping when I camp.

I have found out that running the generator at night when camping cancels out the noises of the crickets.
    Always think: Could this be sarcasm?

Quote Originally Posted by Miems View Post
    That's sad I used to only go and eat there on my Cullinan visits, the last time we went we were told the kitchen was closed already (this was around 2 in the afternoon), so we left and ate at another place. Must say Cullinan is also not what it used to be and I'm searching for another destination to do road trips to, somewhere where one can get anything from art to antiques at reasonable prices.
    It's been a while since we've visited Cullinan. We tend to stick to places closer to home (sort of)
    Irene Dairy Farm is a hit with the kids but restaurant has similar service levels than what I read about Opistasie (Based on our last visit 2 weeks ago). Plus side is it is only 8km from home and not 58km
    There is a market at Willow Feather Farm every now and then with arty things that keep my wife occupied while I indulge in the Craft Beer on offer.
    Neighbourgoods market in JHB has some great food and drinks
    Fourways Farmer Market

The problem is, that once a place offers services as described in this thread, customers will just move over to the next place and offering. There are a lot of these markets out there, so no need to drive all the way to Cullinan for a nice day out.

If you want a nice day out, try the Cowhouse Market (weekends only)

https://www.google.co.za/maps/place/...7!4d28.4001222

Plenty to see, do, and buy. And drink.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

In Cullinan the only eatery to visit is Piacere for Italian. Jan runs a tight shop and the safe enclosed playground for the kids is a bonus.

They used to run a quite popular pageant there for, shall we say, plus sized ladies. If you won, you were crowned the "Groot Gat Godin"

For those who don't know, there is also a big hole (though not as big) a la Kimberley
    1996 Discovery 1 (SOLD)
    2009 Corsa Utility 1.7Dti (Everyday drive)
    2001 Mercedes C180 (SOLD)
    2012 Nissan Xtrail 2.0 (Weekend Wagon)
    2010 Kia Sedona 2.9Crdi (Written off)

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Nitebob For This Useful Post:

I've lived in cullinan for over 20 years, whispering oaks restaurant in Oak avenue has been there for ages and is always excellent, friendly service and spectacular food. If you're in the area don't hesitate to give them a try.

In this world of negatives, politics and other bad things it is so refreshing to read about 4x4ís and camping but it will become Facebook when we allow restaurant evaluatins on this forum.
    The forum is called "4X4 Community". A community is about sharing or having certain attitudes and interests in common. There is a definite place for warning the community of poor service etc. hell, we are subjected to enough of it why more.

There are enough threads on pure 4X4 and camping to keep you happy still.

Talking Re: Cullinan Opistasie Restaurant

This forum IS my "Facebook"!!!
    Land Rover Defender Puma

Previous ride: Defender 90 tD5

And here I am again. Please dont server my steak on a hot plate. Im sure I would have loved the spade as I hate my med rare steak turning into well done before I finish with it because of a hotplate..

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to unrealchris For This Useful Post:

It used to by quite good, last time I ate there was not so good, but the previous time was proper, they also warned you about the 'hot shovel' and not to burn yourself, so they did heat them spades at some time. That whole area and the shops in the vicinity are having a tough time with our failing economy. Sad, but with the lack of patrons I do understand the poor performance, they can ill afford professional staff and fresh produce, maybe time to let go of the nostalgia and close the place down.
    Last edited by moetbiedjiewegkom; 2018/10/22 at 08:51 AM.
    *** Removed ***

Quote Originally Posted by Jors55 View Post
    It's simple. Don't open threads that you have no interest in.
    Fine except.
    Can somebody please tell me how to know the content of a thread before opening it? My old mum was 'fey' but sadly did not inherit.
    Apart from that surely the simple answer to the 'problem' was well describe by Mr. MV Coller. Play hell and never ever pay for bad service of bad food.
    Albert

Progress might have been alright once, but it has gone on too long.

A thread titled "Cullinan Oppistasie Restaurant" clearly deals with a restaurant in Cullinan and has boggerol to do with 4x4 or camping and is therefore easily spotted as a thread you should not click on. Quite easy.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2