Wine in a tin - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Wine in a tin

Default Re: Wine in a tin

Quote Originally Posted by Johan Slabbert View Post
    The sak is pap but it's in a hard, uhm, box.

Take note how the warning message on the box is targeted towards pedestrians...

If thatís not subliminal demographic targeting then I donít know what is
    In Oz it is called Chateau D Cardboard and there are some good drops around now after many years of garbage.

Quote Originally Posted by redondo1955 View Post
    In Oz it is called Chateau D Cardboard and there are some good drops around now after many years of garbage.
    I agree we got some shocking "wine" in boxes for a long time. That's how it got a bad reputation.

The wine I'm holding there is decent and very drinkable. Perfect for braais or casual dinners. When I host a dinner at my house, the first few bottles are special, then I haul the box out and nobody has ever complained.

It's mostly merlot but the blend varies according to what grapes they buy in, and it's unwooded. And it's CHEAP to buy. Trade price to me is R81.20 incl VAT. The public pays R116 at the cellar door in Paarl.

I drive 120km there and back once a month to buy several cases as more than 1/4 of my menu involves wine, especially dishes like Ossobuco which calls for nearly half a bottle of wine per portion (if you make it properly).

For home use, at R116 per 5L box, that's R17 per 750ml bottle, or R2.90 per glass of wine. That's a bargain, and you can't drink that well from a bottle at that price.

If wine tins comes here, they will need to be cheaper than bottled wine to attract people to buy them. If they are marketed as premium, the idea will take much longer to become the new norm.
    Daily drive: 2017 VW cross up!
    For sale: 2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon

Do not mistake my mantra for a crusade.

Strange that SA did not adopt the UK law of having the unit of measure reflected on the according beverage glass. I seen a few draught beer glasses indicating where the 500ml is with a mark, it the UK this glass marking is law for wine glasses for wine served by the glass.

As for wine in tins , rather in small bottles like they do on the airplane or hotel mini bars. you can get them in 125ml 250ml or 500ml
    2006 VW Touareg 3.0 TDi air suspension aka Pumba
    2003 Pajero IO 2.0 aka Bosvark

Quote Originally Posted by redondo1955 View Post
    I've heard it referred to as a Bonteheuwel Briefcase.
    Cheers,
    John

Rover P6
    Land Rover Discovery II Td5 Manual
    Range Rover P38 HSE
    Moto Guzzi LeMans
    Aprilia Tuono V2

5. The Following User Says Thank You to JohnnoK For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Karol View Post
    Strange that SA did not adopt the UK law of having the unit of measure reflected on the according beverage glass. I seen a few draught beer glasses indicating where the 500ml is with a mark, it the UK this glass marking is law for wine glasses for wine served by the glass.

As for wine in tins , rather in small bottles like they do on the airplane or hotel mini bars. you can get them in 125ml 250ml or 500ml
    In SA the beer glasses are marked more to indicate where the beer must stop and the head starts.

I suspect the UK laws are more practical, our SA liquor laws seems to be more geared towards governing shebeens and liquor stores than restaurants.

Many things that are allowed in restaurants are technically illegal under SA liquor laws, like taking your unfinished wine home for instance.

OT now, but according to SA liquor laws, if you have a liquor license you must have fresh drinking water available on the premises. With the recent drought, many restaurants here in CT stopped serving free tap water, instead opting to refuse and sell (often at cost) bottled water to you instead.

This caused quite few social media storms as some liquor law savvy consumers interpreted the drinking water law to mean that free tap water must be served at the table. Which is not what the law says by the way...
    Last edited by Johan Slabbert; 2018/10/14 at 02:03 PM. Reason: spelling & continuity

Cardbourdeux.. my name of choice!
    2017 Honda Jazz 1.2
    EX: 2011 Ford Ranger 3.0 TDCi D/C
    Ex: 2008 X3 2.0d

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Buffy_ZA For This Useful Post:

Iíve seen those in a lot of places in Europe, but never gave it much thought.

As a tactile experience, a bottle is far superior, but it falls short in a few key areas.

Robustness, it breaks easily. Tins can withstand much more abuse before it ruptures.

Cost, it costs more to produce. A tin is almost all (a tiny amount of) aluminium and the label printed directly on the metal. A Bottle is glass, metal for the cap and paper and glue for the label. And the label can also peel off much easier than on a tin.

For the same reason above, recycling a bottle is much harder. Once aluminium is produced, it's easy to recycle.

Packaging and storage. Bottles needs boxes and cannot be stacked without packaging, tins are easily wrapped in recyclable plastic and can be stacked even when loose.

I also like the idea of small bottles, but they become relatively expensive to produce when the volume decreases.

Put it this way, I'd rather buy a R20 250ml tin of wine than a R20 250ml bottle. Less money needed to pay for the packaging means more money to make good wine

It was available a couple of years ago in SA under the brand name Eve, I took two cases of the stuff with on our Bots tour. I loved the idea, the wine was good, I could stash it in the smaller nooks in the vehicle and as you drank, the space became more as you did not have to continue carting the box around until empty. I was looking for it the other day and sadly realized it was no longer available.

Garrie
    Defender 110 TD5 CSW 18P engine loving every moment driving it !!!!!
    Suzuki Jimny with custom made rack and drawers view here - Sold
    Stay away from negative people. They have a problem for every solution...
    GP0023

Tinned wines, excellent for overlanders/campers.
    But will it contain good quality wines?
    If you live each day as if it was your last, someday you'll most certainly be right. SJ

Depends on what they put in it, but we (Okay mostly Swambo) will definitely give it a go.

SAB puts beer flavored water in cans and they get away with it...
    2011 Isuzu KB 250 D-Teq S/C

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Redman For This Useful Post:

Smile Re: Wine in a tin

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnoK View Post
    I've heard it referred to as a Bonteheuwel Briefcase.
    You owe me a keyboard! This should have a warning! 'Do not read with mouth full of coffee"!
    09 Kyron, the Korean Snail.
    NO Meeow!
    Blanked EGR.
    Thermo Electric Cooling fan.

Nah, where's the fun in that?
    Cheers,
    John

Rover P6
    Land Rover Discovery II Td5 Manual
    Range Rover P38 HSE
    Moto Guzzi LeMans
    Aprilia Tuono V2

When camping, to limit breakages, I put the wine bottle into a 2 litre Coke bottle of which I cut off the top part. (pic)

Same with drinking glasses, a 1 litre Coke bottle will take most wine glasses.

... so, nothing but glass for me, thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Johan Mitchell, .... r.i.v. Swambo Marthie

My beste kennis is diť oor my eie onkunde

'96 Colt DC V8 ... Safari Camper ... '88 Fleetline L
    '88 Ballade 150.
    "The rule here is that there is no rule" .. MikeAG

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Gaitshi Gubib For This Useful Post:

Maybe they should do this for wine as well?

2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Ela Diablo: Land Rover S2A 109 PUP: SOLD

I would not drink wine out of a tin. Mind you, I also don't drink wine out of a glass or a box. I just don't drink wine.

I think it will be difficult to get people's mindset around it correct. Most people associate wine with sophistication, and if you sell it in a tin it would basically be the same as drinking beer(obviously not the taste, but the idea around it).

I do think its a good idea though, as it would end the different portions you always get(see this when SWAMBO orders wine). Sometimes the glass is 1/4 full, sometimes half, sometimes 3/4. This isn't even at different places, this can happen at the same place, in one evening even.

I'd also support it at home, as SWAMBO doesn't always want to drink a whole bottle. If you go for a braai, she might have one or two glasses, then the rest must either be left, thrown away, or try to take an open bottle home(I hate this, I always just tell her to leave it).
    Bmw 2007 320d MSport (For a bit of speed)
    Swambo : 2012 BMW 530d Msport("the beast")

Quote Originally Posted by lizardalpha View Post
    I would not drink wine out of a tin. Mind you, I also don't drink wine out of a glass or a box. I just don't drink wine.

I think it will be difficult to get people's mindset around it correct. Most people associate wine with sophistication, and if you sell it in a tin it would basically be the same as drinking beer(obviously not the taste, but the idea around it).

I do think its a good idea though, as it would end the different portions you always get(see this when SWAMBO orders wine). Sometimes the glass is 1/4 full, sometimes half, sometimes 3/4. This isn't even at different places, this can happen at the same place, in one evening even.

I'd also support it at home, as SWAMBO doesn't always want to drink a whole bottle. If you go for a braai, she might have one or two glasses, then the rest must either be left, thrown away, or try to take an open bottle home(I hate this, I always just tell her to leave it).
    Agree 100%...

Swambo loves Gin and Tonic. (Mind you Gin & OJ, Gin & Dry Lemon as well). Now we take a bottle of Gin and mix to every braai or kuier, only for her to have one or two. Started buying these pre mix bottles at Makro. Bought a few six pack with different mixes. When we go to a braai, I take a few (different flavors) and off we go. Works great

Can see the same with this wine in a tin. Will even allow you to enjoy a few different variants back to back without opening numerous bottles.
    2011 Isuzu KB 250 D-Teq S/C

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Redman For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2