How do some of these shops stay in business - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: How do some of these shops stay in business

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    Malas has an EXCELLENT waiting area. They even have bench seats in the fitting area so that you can sit and see what is going on.

This is a HUGE operation with at least 10 fitting bays and around 6 alignment bays.

They've been around for over 30 years, a really slick bunch of businessmen.
    Well here is the answer- 30 years in business should means your capital items are paid off long ago ( buildings & equipment)

So just the rental R value you would be paying as a TWAT in a mall type set up- that figure can be used to subsidise your prices making you tyres cheaper - yet you are still profitable because your overheads are lower.
    Last edited by Karol; 2018/10/17 at 02:07 PM.
    2006 VW Touareg 3.0 TDi air suspension aka Pumba
    2003 Pajero IO 2.0 aka Bosvark

Malas is a phenom. I'd love to have a shop like that, but my pockets aren't deep enough. Before having a tyre shop when I was in Pretoria, I also supported them. However, they are much bigger than most realize. They supply SAPS countrywide with tyres and they pay me to fit it for them. They import tyres as well and WHOLESALE them. They have an online portal catering to other fitment centres.

With all these irons in the fire, They can afford a coffee shop, but I bet it all started with good service. Anybody visit their previous shop?
    1996 Discovery 1 (SOLD)
    2009 Corsa Utility 1.7Dti (Everyday drive)
    2001 Mercedes C180 (Soon to be my eldest's car)
    2010 Kia Sedona 2.9Crdi (SWAMBO's ride)

Quote Originally Posted by Disco-Deon View Post
    Business today is internet based. If not for this thread I would never have heard of Malas.....
    To be honest, Malas doesn't need the internet nor your business. They are huge.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Ela Diablo: Land Rover S2A 109 PUP: SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by jldup View Post
    Bluff Tyres also have a branch in Richards Bay. I fitted 4 GY Wrangler Adventure on my Discovery4 last weekend at R2600per. Service was excellent as well.
    Didn't know that, where are they situated?
    "Stare, pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something, you are not here long"
    Walker Evans, Photographer

Malas has an EXCELLENT waiting area. They even have bench seats in the fitting area so that you can sit and see what is going on.

This is a HUGE operation with at least 10 fitting bays and around 6 alignment bays.

They've been around for over 30 years, a really slick bunch of businessmen.
    What always seemed the bees knees to me: They had a dynamic notice board (like at airports) reporting the status of your car, so you know when you have to start finishing your coffee.
    1996 Discovery 1 (SOLD)

Quote Originally Posted by Riaan van Wyk View Post
    Didn't know that, where are they situated?
    Right next to the old Midbay Motors VW dealership, they are now called Fit&Go (but was called Bluff Tyres when they opened there after SupaQuick left). Fit&Go seems to be linked to Bluff Tyres in some way as their email address is [email protected]
    Last edited by jldup; 2018/10/17 at 03:26 PM.

And here is the web site you couldn't find:

http://www.malas.co.za/#promotions
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Ela Diablo: Land Rover S2A 109 PUP: SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by jldup View Post
    Right next to the old Midbay Motors VW dealership, they are now called Fit&Go (but was called Bluff Tyres when they opened there after SupaQuick left). Fit&Go seems to be linked to Bluff Tyres in some way as their email address is [email protected]
    Thanks!
    "Stare, pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something, you are not here long"
    Walker Evans, Photographer

Quote Originally Posted by RPiet View Post
    I understand why the guys like Malas or Bluff tyres stay in business, but how do the big franchises survive, if they are always more expensive, and have worse service. It just doesn't make sense.

Tires are not an impulse buy. You know for weeks in advance that it is time for new tires, so obviously you will shop around for the best deal..... Or am I wrong
    Do places like TWT maybe offer some form of credit payment system? Like an Edgars card or something. Could be that the person's credit card is maxed out so they seek another avenue.

Quote Originally Posted by Learnercamper View Post
    Do places like TWT maybe offer some form of credit payment system? Like an Edgars card or something. Could be that the person's credit card is maxed out so they seek another avenue.
    Most work on RCS even Tigers own card has a small RCS logo on...one of them is starting their own soon...
    1996 Discovery 1 (SOLD)

And here is the web site you couldn't find:http://www.malas.co.za/#promotions
    "They are HUGE" ... Coca-Cola are MASSIVE and they need the internet. Web presence is critical to business today. Go look at the 5 biggest Companies in the world's web presence and then tell me a Company does not need the internet.

A quick Google of Malas brought up their website, I did find it but it did not come up in various other searches.

Big business spends millions on web presence and SEO. Why do we know about TW&T, Hi-Q, Superquick, etc...
    Last edited by Disco-Deon; 2018/10/17 at 11:38 PM.
    Stay Safe
    Disco-Deon
    This morning I woke up,
    Making today a great day.
    Nerdy, 2011 Honda Jazz, 1500 Exc

I use Tyre and Exhaust City at Menlyn Motor City for my tyres, good prices and the small price difference not worth driving across the city. There are 5 "tyre" places in the immediate area (and now one behind Menlyn Retail Park in Aramist Road, so eintlik 6) so I assume competition keeps them all mostly in check.

Quote Originally Posted by supersunbird View Post
    I use Tyre and Exhaust City at Menlyn Motor City for my tyres, good prices and the small price difference not worth driving across the city. There are 5 "tyre" places in the immediate area (and now one behind Menlyn Retail Park in Aramist Road, so eintlik 6) so I assume competition keeps them all mostly in check.
    You will be surprised, when I was shopping for tyres, I found HUGE differences in price, for the exact same tyre, from stores within maybe 1km of one another on the same road, and when I say huge differences I mean between R800 and R1000 PER TYRE price difference

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3